collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Cantona and that kick.  (Read 11513 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: 0% Villa - Cantona and that kick.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Why isn't he ever referred to as "former Leeds United player"?

Amazing how being at Man Utd infects all of that lot with a degree of self-righteous arrogance rarely displayed elsewhere.

All of the crap and mess that Villa are in right now shares its origin with the above. 

How so?

I'm sure it's an "If my auntie had bollocks" type argument but - Man U were 11th and nowhere near the title race when he was signed in Oct of the 1992/93 campaign. Before Wilkinson generously helped them out and flogged them his best player at a knockdown fee.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
Why isn't he ever referred to as "former Leeds United player"?

Amazing how being at Man Utd infects all of that lot with a degree of self-righteous arrogance rarely displayed elsewhere.

All of the crap and mess that Villa are in right now shares its origin with the above. 

He only spent about 10 months at Leeds. I dont think anybody could argue that his main club achievments were at Man U.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
So your saying, we'd have won the league that year had he not signed for Man U.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

Some players, for whatever reason, seem to be a catalyst whose arrival moves the club forward in a way that seems disproportionate to that player's individual ability.  Peter Withe may be the best example at the Villa,

In that inaugural Premiership season, for whatever reason, Cantona's signing kick started Man Utd.  Whether we'd have won it is another matter.  What's for sure, if we hadn't, I'd rather it was Norwich.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »
Everyone has their limit.
He was pushed to his.
Fair play to him.

Hang on, not for the first time in his career, Cantona had been sent off for violent conduct. He's been his usual nasty, sneering snidey self.  Have a look at the kick.  I'm not surprised that anybody in the crowd was livid and wanted to abuse him as he walked down the touchline.

Pushed?  Bollocks.  It was a disgrace and once again the FA bottled it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:42:15 PM by Mac »

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »

Yes, if it wasn't for Lesley Ash....

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:09 AM »

I'm sure it's an "If my auntie had bollocks" type argument but - Man U were 11th and nowhere near the title race when he was signed in Oct of the 1992/93 campaign. Before Wilkinson generously helped them out and flogged them his best player at a knockdown fee.

We'd also just beaten them twice in a couple of weeks without breaking sweat. Cantona was the most important signing in Premier League history.

He also has phenomenally good hearing to detect 'racial abuse' from one man in a packed ground. The way in which perceptions changed from Eric is guilty to Eric is guilty with extenuating circumstances to Eric is an innocent crusader against racism was one of the great PR campaigns of our time.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »
One of the many reasons to dislike Fergiescum.

He'd chased players out of the club previously for being fond of the ale (to our benefit on one occasion, so kudos for that) and generally made a big deal about how he was some sort of master disciplinarian, wouldn't stand for any shite. He then effectively let's Cantona off the hook for assaulting a member of the public and makes him  out to be the victim in it all. Beggars belief.

The lesson, kids?
Just make sure you're a really, really good player, a key part of the side and not prone to injury (as Whiteside and McGrath were). Then you can behave however the hell you want.

Offline villa1

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
Bosnich's KO of Klinsmann was the same nightr as Cantona's kung-fu kick. I also recall Tommy Johnson barfing everywhere on the touchline before kick off.

Didn't he blow chunks in the centre circle too?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »
I cant find a photo of it but the look on the womans face when Cantona was flying through the air is an absolute belter.

I've got an irrational hatred of Crystal Palace fans so I cant offer an unbiased opinion.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
He was pushed to his.
Fair play to him.

Hang on, not for the first time in his career, Cantona had been sent off for violent conduct. He's been his usual nasty, sneering snidey self.  Have a look at the kick.  I'm not surprised that anybody in the crowd was livid and wanted to abuse him as he walked down the touchline.

Pushed?  Bollocks.  It was a disgrace and once again the FA bottled it.

Agreed.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
A lot of people have a go at Cantona ...."disgrace"  "should never have played again" etc.

If say Savo Milosovic had proved an absolute wonder signing and been the catalyst for Villa winning the league 4 times and the FA Cup twice in the 90s, what would fans have said if he launched at kung fu kick into a Blackburn fan instead of gobbing at the Villa end ?

Just wondering.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
One of the many reasons to dislike Fergiescum.

He'd chased players out of the club previously for being fond of the ale (to our benefit on one occasion, so kudos for that) and generally made a big deal about how he was some sort of master disciplinarian, wouldn't stand for any shite. He then effectively let's Cantona off the hook for assaulting a member of the public and makes him  out to be the victim in it all. Beggars belief.

The lesson, kids?
Just make sure you're a really, really good player, a key part of the side and not prone to injury (as Whiteside and McGrath were). Then you can behave however the hell you want.

I can't agree with this, Whiteside and God were abusing their bodies, were not talking about a few pints here and there they were both alcoholics. Cantona attacked a scumbag yes it was wrong but he was/is a passionate guy he had problems with controlling that passion.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
He was pushed to his.
Fair play to him.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense imo.  Would you tell your child to behave that way if he was pushed too far?  Or would you tell him/her to behave like an adult and walk away?  I hope the latter. 

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
I cant find a photo of it but the look on the womans face when Cantona was flying through the air is an absolute belter.

I've got an irrational hatred of Crystal Palace fans so I cant offer an unbiased opinion.

I'd have probably looked the same. There was an interivew with her on the 10th anniversay of the kick in one of the papers. She described herself as being as famous as Princess Di for a week. I'm surprised she hasn't turned up on a reality television show.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal