collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 30th anniversay  (Read 12225 times)

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: 30th anniversay
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
I travelled up from Guildford where I was at Uni at the time. Made a detour to Euston to meet all the villa fans off the train but hardly came across any - think they must have all come down on coaches. I then managed to get lost in North London trying to find the ground, but luckily hitched up with some youngsters who seemed about 12 (I was 18) who were going to the game - can't remember if they were Villa or Arsenal.

As is typical Villa of course, we nearly managed to bugger it up. I can still see that Mcdermott goal crossing the line in slow motion as Jimmy R looks on as if it was literally yesterday. 30 years, good grief!

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
I remember.... i think i'm right here but didn't he die about 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please correct me if this is wrong!

Blimey I didn't know that!

Offline richard moore

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
Bosco Jankovic. I wonder what he's doing now?

An incredible season full of golden memories. I feel fortunate to have witnessed this achievement. It will be years before it happens again, if at all. Looking back across 30 years, some of the memories are tinged with the regret that we never managed to build on the platform of 1980/1982. Part of being a Villa fan I suppose.

Yes indeed, dead he is. I remember the rumour going round the North Bank, first that Ipswich had scored, then that Boro had actually done so...

Offline richard moore

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
I travelled up from Guildford where I was at Uni at the time. Made a detour to Euston to meet all the villa fans off the train but hardly came across any - think they must have all come down on coaches. I then managed to get lost in North London trying to find the ground, but luckily hitched up with some youngsters who seemed about 12 (I was 18) who were going to the game - can't remember if they were Villa or Arsenal.

As is typical Villa of course, we nearly managed to bugger it up. I can still see that Mcdermott goal crossing the line in slow motion as Jimmy R looks on as if it was literally yesterday. 30 years, good grief!

Oh and I remember coming round the corner to see a pub with furniture piled up outside it - tables and chairs - and Villa fans all over it singing and dancing...

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »

An incredible season full of golden memories. I feel fortunate to have witnessed this achievement. It will be years before it happens again, if at all. Looking back across 30 years, some of the memories are tinged with the regret that we never managed to build on the platform of 1980/1982. Part of being a Villa fan I suppose.

Yes indeed, dead he is. I remember the rumour going round the North Bank, first that Ipswich had scored, then that Boro had actually done so...

I remember a rumour going around Villa Park during the Boro game the week before that Ipswich had drew with Man City (they actually won) and we were Champions. Even the players celebrated. I was inconsolable when the actual result was announced. It felt like we'd blew it!

Offline richard moore

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

I remember a rumour going around Villa Park during the Boro game the week before that Ipswich had drew with Man City (they actually won) and we were Champions. Even the players celebrated. I was inconsolable when the actual result was announced. It felt like we'd blew it!

Of course, technically speaking, it wasn't a rumour that Boro had scored against Ipswich! It just felt like it for about two minutes...

Offline TonyD

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »
Great day on Clock End.     From misery at 2.0 down to news from the radio that Ipswich were drawing and then losing.    All hell broke loose at that point and the match was a mere side show.  The crush leaving Highbusy with 1000's of us singing we won the league.  The party on the M1 home was awesome.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
Christ that was neary 30 years ago - lets hope I live long enough to see those days again.

UTV

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Christ that was neary 30 years ago - lets hope I live long enough to see those days again.

UTV
dont hold your breath UTV

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
I was very lucky in as much as it was my first season when i started working and i said to my mate i want to do all the games this year - i missed one in what was a brilliant season

That day at Highbury will never leave me - i had managed to get into the seats at the side of the clock end and remember how shit i felt when they scored both times but then to start to see the villa end start to erupt, slowly at first and then like maniacs as the goals went in at Boro

IF i remember rightly did George Gavin / Tony Butler send Bosko a crate of champagne the follwoing week?

The celebrations afterwards were unreal - i was one of those on top of the coaches and have never seen scenes like it

Great days that i feel due to nanny policing and us not being very good will never return - at least us older bugger can say "we were there"

I also remember my favourite song
"My eyes have seen the glory of the villa win the cup, 7 times we've won it and no one will catch us up...............

And at the time i never thought anyone would  :(

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
I love reading storys about our league title triumph it makes me so proud to be a Villa fan i just wish i would have been old enough to be there and witness us winning the league.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

UTV
dont hold your breath UTV
The backing is there.  Just need a good manager and a bit of luck.

Offline ez

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »

UTV
I think myself lucky i was around to see it. I just hope the younger villa fans get to see such glory days. It was brilliant.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:14 PM »
A lot of us were there that day, got a coach from the back of Walsall train station after being able to blag a match ticket off my next door neighbour. Loads of kids on the coach were from the Blue Coat school including one who bizarrely supported Arsenal!

Offline richard moore

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
A lot of us were there that day, got a coach from the back of Walsall train station after being able to blag a match ticket off my next door neighbour. Loads of kids on the coach were from the Blue Coat school including one who bizarrely supported Arsenal!

Cor, small world, I was at the Blue Coat school as a nipper til we moved to Harrogate when I was 13!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal