collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ExclDawg
[Today at 12:01:49 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Somniloquism
[April 27, 2024, 11:58:13 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 27, 2024, 11:55:44 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:52:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[April 27, 2024, 11:48:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by Aldridge Villa
[April 27, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[April 27, 2024, 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A serious question - your views pls.  (Read 11654 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: A serious question - your views pls.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
BTW, I've noticed even 'star' keepers like Joe Hart are punching at everything these days, rather than trying to make a clean catch. What is going on?!

I can only think it must be down to the ball, being so light and floaty they don't want to take any risks.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
I thought the defence looked a bit more solid when Collins came on yesterday. I'm surprised he was dropped to be honest.

Offline eastie

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
Yes Collins and dunne seem to have become fairly solid again, I think we are getting exposed through our full back areas as both drift forward Often rather than defending , Clark doesn't look comfortable at times .We just look a nervous wreck at crosses and maybe this stems from the keeper not instilling confidence with his erratic handling Of crosses.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:15:08 PM by eastie »

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
We give too many cheap,easy fouls away. Time and again we present teams with the chance to put the ball into our box from a set piece. Has to be a management/training issue.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
BTW, I've noticed even 'star' keepers like Joe Hart are punching at everything these days, rather than trying to make a clean catch. What is going on?!

I can only think it must be down to the ball, being so light and floaty they don't want to take any risks.
Yes, I've assumed that to be the case (although technology has also improved goal-keeping gloves ...). Watching Friedel, he doesn't even seem keen to come for the ball at all (and having seen the goals conceded from corners where he has come out, he's been nowhere near the damn thing!).

Offline pav

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
Could be chaos against stoke

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
Any team that like to get the ball forward quickly and bombard us with crosses are going to be chaos to play against, hopefully Blackburn will be a bit more refined now big Sam has gone.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »

And whilst we're at it, who is the goalkeeping coach? - why has Friedel's command of the 6 yard box become so tenuous?

Combination of factors I reckon.  (1) He knows he's on his way out. By all accounts Given was at Bodymoor Heath on the last day of the transfer window and a deal very nearly went through.  (2) His financial worries re his football academy in the States. He's a good pro, but most would find it hard to remain focussed with impending bankruptcy. (3) Father time, the reactions not being as sharp as they once were.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
I think Freidel is not the keeper he was 3 years ago. Collins and Dunne are good players on form, and are coming back somewhat, by Clark is in and out, and gives a lot of free kicks away around the box, while Walker is not Cuellar, who covers the centre backs well while giving real solidity from right back. I think a new keeper, left back and maybe centre half, plus a defensive midfielder may come in from the way he talks of MAkoun playing further forward.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »
The goal conceded yesterday was schoolboy stuff ....totally unprofessional

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
Kevingage, where did you hear this about given being at bodymoor on deadline day, it's the 1st I've heard about it but I would be delighted if true.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Mentioned in a few places.  Thought it might be balls but Given gave a radio interview last week saying he nearly joined another Prem side late in Jan and will be off in the summer.

Things can change of course. He might be GH's choice but GH might not even be here in the summer.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
but GH might not even be here in the summer.

We can but hope.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »
Neither friedal or guzan inspire confidence from crosses, and the command of the 6 yard box is a major problem - it's no good just standing shouting 'away' , we have conceded far too many goals from crosses no more than 6 yards out.

At times Brad Sr makes Thomas "Harpo Marx" Sorensen look communicative.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
I said in the post match thread that GH should get a defensive coach in pronto.  If we could only have solved the set piece fuckwittedness earlier in the season we would probably have quite a few more points.  I still think there is way too much ball watching and not enough marking as well.

Friedel is like a goalkeeping version of the Carew of old, every 5 or 6 games has a blinder for stopping shots, but in between has at least one or two mares and a couple of could do betters.  Looks like a timid flapper on crosses, and has an increasing tendency to stand watching, bemused, Scott Carson like, as mundane efforts fly past him into the net. Also palms too many shots back into the danger area.  And Brad junior is worse. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal