collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:03:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:01:14 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 12:45:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 12:42:56 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:40:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:03:50 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:01:14 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:58:23 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:53:24 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AYoung and Downing.......good enough?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Re: AYoung and Downing.......good enough?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Think comparing us to Man Utd is absurd. Bannan stood out against Blackburn because there midfield is in a different league to Man Utd`s. Bannan is getting better, but the comparisons are miles apart .......

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
As much as I think he's a very talented player, and all the great moments he's given us during his time at the club, I am reconciling myself to the sale of Ashley. I don't think he particularly plays for the team anymore, I don't think he's being played in anywhere near the position where he's most effective, and his inclusion as an automatic starter might be holding us back from playing better as a team.

For me, he's just not quite smart enough as a player. He's a winger, which means that when the ball gets too him out there it's usually in the last phase of the attack, meaning his job is to deliver the final ball, cross or sometimes shot. In the middle, you've got to be so much calmer, you have to be able to read the game so much better and quicker, make better decisions and so on, but I think Ash is still stuck in his winger mentality where he's always looking for the killer ball, and thus is constantly giving it away.

One of them should miss out in favour of an additional central midfielder. I do think Bannan, Bradley and Makoun would be a hell of a midfield.

I agree with that, though on form I think Albrighton should probably miss out. As much as I've criticised Ash there, he still has something to offer as a winger. I think he's going in the summer anyway, and I think it'll be a blessing in disguise when it happens.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
I really don't know to start on this one. Monty makes some good points about Ashley, for me he just complicates things too much instead of just getting the ball in the box as early as possible. Last night, in I think the last five minutes he did just that, a first time ball, low and hard around the six yard box. Bent never managed to get to it but it was like a flashback to the Ashley of 2008. It's what made him such a special and dangerous player. I would hope somebody has the balls to stand up to him and remind him what he does best. All the cutting it back, pissing around, just gives the opposition to get numbers back. It's such awaste of talent. Get him back on the wing, it's not like teamscan afford to put two players on him now, not when we threaten in other areas.

As for Downing, I'm really starting to lose it with him. The less said the better. Nice footballer, hard worker. Eunuch.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
The creativity of our teams comes from Young and Downing, i'm surprised anybody can question it.

And they haven't been doing it

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
The creativity of our teams comes from Young and Downing, i'm surprised anybody can question it.

And they haven't been doing it
Downing made the inch perfect cross for Bent last night.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
Think comparing us to Man Utd is absurd. Bannan stood out against Blackburn because there midfield is in a different league to Man Utd`s. Bannan is getting better, but the comparisons are miles apart .......

apart from the fact that he ran the show against man utd not so long ago, along with Hogg.
even my Man Utd mates said he was the best player on the park,

that was against Man Utd not Blackburn,
whatever league they might be playing in, Bannan is well capable of handling it as he has already shown,

i bet they utd were glad not to see his name on the team sheet last night and were happy to be facing Petrov instead,
 dont see the comparison  as absurd or miles apart

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
i bet they utd were glad not to see his name on the team sheet last night and were happy to be facing Petrov instead,
 dont see the comparison it as absurd or miles apart

Much as I am and have been a massive fan of Petrov's I agree completely with that. Bannan's just as competent (doesn't give the ball away and wriggles beautifully out of tight situations) but is also capable of real inspiration in the final third. Petrov for all his calmness and positional qualities, just isn't anymore.

Offline rutski

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
we do get some twaddle talked on here!

People want to blame when there isnt any blame to be laid at anyones feet, someone needs to be a scapegoat even on good performances!

I wonder if alot of the moaners would be happy if we won the league because they would have nothing to moan about but there will always be a wanker in the side!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
we do get some twaddle talked on here!

People want to blame when there isnt any blame to be laid at anyones feet, someone needs to be a scapegoat even on good performances!

I wonder if alot of the moaners would be happy if we won the league because they would have nothing to moan about but there will always be a wanker in the side!

go on the Man Utd fansites, bet their moaning just as much, so your right there will always be a wanker in the side

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »

Too true. The amount of stick David Geddis used to get..
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:06:44 PM by Mark Kelly »

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Ashely young is the hardest working player in the side and the one likely to get fans on their feet when he has the ball. When he doesn't play, we really miss him.

Downing is also a very good player - great left foot, can pick a pass and can score goals. Not a great tackler but so what - there are other players in the side to win the ball.

Houllier rarely leaves either of these players out and he is probably a better judge of players than anyone on here so I would back his judgement.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
My views are this: I think AY has peaked at VP and it's time for him to move on ... at the right price.
Downing: is he prepared to get down and dirty when the team are up against it? - if so, fine; he should stay. I question whether he's really got the desire (but, hey!, what do I know what goes on in his head?).
My preference in the future is that we should have a core of 3 in midfield, permed from JMII, MB, BB, FD (and perhaps soon Hogg, Gardner and Forrester). The rationale for this is that all these players can tackle / hussle well, pass incisively, attack / track back as required; they're interchangeable which gives the opposition much more to think about than the current set up.
This would leave 3 places ahead of them to be filled, from a combination of wingers and strikers.

Offline Monty

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »
My views are this: I think AY has peaked at VP and it's time for him to move on ... at the right price.
Downing: is he prepared to get down and dirty when the team are up against it? - if so, fine; he should stay. I question whether he's really got the desire (but, hey!, what do I know what goes on in his head?).
My preference in the future is that we should have a core of 3 in midfield, permed from JMII, MB, BB, FD (and perhaps soon Hogg, Gardner and Forrester). The rationale for this is that all these players can tackle / hussle well, pass incisively, attack / track back as required; they're interchangeable which gives the opposition much more to think about than the current set up.
This would leave 3 places ahead of them to be filled, from a combination of wingers and strikers.

I largely agree with this, although I would like one extra creative player as an option bought in the summer and possibly another holding player (though my priority would be on creativity), preferably one who can play on the wing as well like Bannan can. This would give us huge options throughout the squad and during matches.

Offline villa1

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
Young: as said previously, should be back on the wing. Can't fault his effort and attitude. Covers more grass than any other player in the team. He's simply less effective where he's currently playing.

Downing: he had 20 minutes in the second half at Wigan where he ran their full back ragged. He needs to do that more consistently. He obviously has the ability to do so. Up until Christmas he was arguably our best player but seems to have disappeared for the majority of time since.

As far as the tackling goes, I can accept him not challenging in a head on 50 50 with a hulking centre half. That's fair enough, and as someone said we have players to do that. It's the others where he could just put a foot in and may get a lucky bounce, etc. If he'd do that it's another 'string to his bow'.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »
I would also like to see AY move back to the wing that's where he causes the most damage to the opposition and Downing he has been one of our best players this season. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal