collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Parallels with Leeds  (Read 9343 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Parallels with Leeds
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
so are we. 40m losses are not only unsustainable, they'd also stop us getting in the CL which is the whole point in the first place
But Leeds weren't being bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor.

Any suggestions as to how Randy is going to pay back the loans to the family trust that become due in a few years?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
so are we. 40m losses are not only unsustainable, they'd also stop us getting in the CL which is the whole point in the first place

thats not the point. you may have 1 billion in the bank but it doesn't mean you're going to spend it on the club. if randy's reached the limit he's prepared to spend currently then thats it. no different from clubs with rich owners like chelsea cutting back. My hope is he's more worried about the loss in income that relegation would mean than he is about spending more money in January.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:37:25 AM »

however there are harbingers of doom on here who love the melodramatic sound of their own voice who wont be happy till we go down and when we get out of it will say i knew we would really!

Sorry - I've only just arrived at this thread, but here's someone who's put his finger right on the button. This site is becoming a home for all the harbingers of doom out there and the sooner we inject a bit of sense and fun into the proceedings the better.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »
!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
At the moment i am reading the Peter Risdale book United We Fall which go's on and explains how he fecked up we are not as bad as they were hopefully never will be.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
None.

Next piece of overblown hyperbole please.

Quite.  Leeds borrowed massively and their ability to meet the debt depended on CL qualification. Which they failed to achieve.   There's a big difference between being forced to sell your best players to reduce unmanageable debts and selling them because a super rich rival club offers you and the player silly money.   We didn't need to sell Barry or Milner, but we had little choice once their heads were turned,  At least we were able to hold out for a good price for each.  Meltdown was inevitable for Leeds.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
I can imagine a similar thread to this on RAWK. A bit over the top to suggest Villa are heading the way of Leeds United.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »
A little chicken has just told me the sky is falling in ......................

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »

Dave, that's talking past tense.

Randy's wallet is firmly shut now, he's looking for a return rather than any more outlay.

We won't do a Leeds, but we are a selling club, whatever Faulkner says.

That's why Houllier is still here, he's promising cheap French players to turn us around.

Cheaper to 'run' that the current MON signings as well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:03 PM »
What happens if we do go down? Leeds needed Champions League football, we need Premier League football at least.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
What happens if we do go down? Leeds needed Champions League football, we need Premier League football at least.

Randy will have to sell in my opinion.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »

I suspect we'll have a huge fire sale, lose pretty much every senior player (Gabby, Ash etc) and rebuild with a great crop of kids and some old hands bought in that know how to fight it out in a tough division.

Come back up, win the cup, kick.... oh no that's them lot.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:08:13 PM by OzVilla »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
I'd say we were more like Newcastle to be honest. Leeds had a much better team than we did before they ended up selling them all due to their financial problems. Newcastle had a team of over paid players who seemed not to care and who weren't good enough for what they got. At least we'll come right back up against all the odds and hand out some heavy thrashings when we do so!

However, I'm still not convinced we'll go down. I'm not as confident as I was, especially if we're under Houllier.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 12:22:17 AM »

We use the parachute payments and Randy's not inconsiderable wealth to consolidate our position, and then use our wealth of talent amongst our yoofs to launch a promotion bid.

Stop. Fucking. Panicking.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »

We use the parachute payments and Randy's not inconsiderable wealth to consolidate our position, and then use our wealth of talent amongst our yoofs to launch a promotion bid.

Stop. Fucking. Panicking.

Did you not hear Dave, we're doooooomed!

Randy is a massive fan and loves the Villa, we are not about to do a Leeds FFS, some people need to stop running about like headless chickens, find a mirror, give themselves a hard slap and realise that there are more important things in life,a nd we will be ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal