collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 96573 times)

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Chelsea v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »
It was against us. Therefore it wasn't.

I think that is what quite a few on here should say rather than trying to justify it, because to the neutral it was clearly a pen, but i can't argue with your take on it!
Strange, as most neutrals seem to say that it wasn't.

Including Warnock and Dixon on MOTD. Glad they agree with me that it definitely wasn't a penalty. The ref knew he had cocked it up and so compensated for us at the other end. You could see it written all over his face. When the whistle went for our pen, NRC was flapping hsis arms trying to claim he hadn't fouled Essien as he thought the whistle was against him. Says it all really...

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
Just got back, Clark was imense today he is not the best footballer in the world but 10 out of 10 for concentration and effort

Agree.
But does anyone know why Super Mark (our most creative  player at the moment) started on the bench and Gabby (our best striker) played left winger, far from the goal, in the 4-2-3-1? I didn't understand these two moves tbh.
My guess is that he played Downing and Gabby to counter Chelseas propensity to attack with thier full backs, both stronger than Albrighton defensively, the fact that we had 4 centre halves playing narrow which i think was necessary. At least we had a plan today and for the most part it worked

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »
Mac made the point earlier that nobody wanted to celebrate with Drogba. If *Chelsea players* think somebody is an arrogant arsehole, God help him

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
Randy celebration was fantastic... I wonder where he was off to?

He was off to ask Cheklsea staff if he can use a private room to talk to his Manager!

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
It was against us. Therefore it wasn't.

I think that is what quite a few on here should say rather than trying to justify it, because to the neutral it was clearly a pen, but i can't argue with your take on it!
Strange, as most neutrals seem to say that it wasn't.

Including Warnock and Dixon on MOTD. Glad they agree with me that it definitely wasn't a penalty. The ref knew he had cocked it up and so compensated for us at the other end. You could see it written all over his face. When the whistle went for our pen, NRC was flapping hsis arms trying to claim he hadn't fouled Essien as he thought the whistle was against him. Says it all really...
The ref gave us a penalty because it was a stonewall penalty... nothing to do whether or not they got a penalty.

I imagine Albrighton didn't play because he's had it pretty tough since coming back from his operation... maybe Ged thought he needed a little rest.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
It was so stonewall that barely any Villa player appealed for a penalty and NRC thought the ref was blowing up for a foul by him on Essien. It might have been a penalty, but it certainly wasn't a stonewall one for me, or evidently most of our players...

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #351 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
as soon as Coker went down I said ''penalty'', before the ref blew for the penalty. Both penalties were penalties and the referee got both decisions right. Didn't see the Chelsea fans having any problem with the penalty being given against them.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »

But does anyone know why Super Mark (our most creative  player at the moment)

Probably because for every goal he creates, he costs us one by giving away the ball or committing stupid fouls close to the area. He's got some talent going forward, but he's a liability when he's in our half.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
Our penalty was the most obvious penalty award I have seen in a long time. There was no need to appeal as everyone knew it was 100% nailed on. Very surprised that Essien did not get booked.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
This was interesting in the Independent match report.

Did anyone see what happened here?

That they did not was a testament to a Villa team who looked badly short of anything that might loosely be described as fighting spirit in their defeat to Manchester City last week. But they had it yesterday, in outstanding performances from Brad Friedel, Emile Heskey and Ashley Young, right through to assistant Gary McAllister who spent the aftermath of Villa's celebrations offering to fight a member of the Chelsea staff.

Nice to read, after all the stuff this week about the two of them sitting there like they're waiting for a bus to arrive, or Wetherspoons to open.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »
Something happened this week. Some sort of riot act was was read and it worked.

Well done Villa. Roll on Wednesday, fucking roll on.

Offline glester

« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »
Had a good feeling going into this game and glad we walked away with a point and a spirited showing.

Anyone know why Delph wasn't on the bench today?  Has he re-injured himself?

What did everyone think of Ash playing behind Heskey and Gabby on the left of midfiled?  Both had good games but would have loved to see Ash running at Ferreira in the first half and us using the wing as an outlet.

Lets hope this is the start of a great second half of the season!

Offline Simba

« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Never seen such a turn around in team spirit. I don't know how or why we suddenly fought like tigers as a unit, with committment and passion from Chairman to Mc Allister.

Whoever managed to instill it - it was great to have our Villa back!

Well done everyone.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #358 on: January 03, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »
Wonder who McAllister wanted to chin ? Any footage anywhere ?

Offline richard moore

« Reply #359 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
This was interesting in the Independent match report.

Did anyone see what happened here?

That they did not was a testament to a Villa team who looked badly short of anything that might loosely be described as fighting spirit in their defeat to Manchester City last week. But they had it yesterday, in outstanding performances from Brad Friedel, Emile Heskey and Ashley Young, right through to assistant Gary McAllister who spent the aftermath of Villa's celebrations offering to fight a member of the Chelsea staff.

Nice to read, after all the stuff this week about the two of them sitting there like they're waiting for a bus to arrive, or Wetherspoons to open.

Perhaps we could also stop some of this hugging, kissing and high fives in the tunnel before the game as well. Not that we are the only team that does that by any means but I prefer the Roy Keane approach myself...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal