collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Beckham on loan - should we?  (Read 20620 times)

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Beckham on loan - should we?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
No, no, no and no again! offers nothing we can't get elsewhere, no pace, can't tackle, can't go past a player and can't head a ball, plays an occasional long ball or puts in an occasional cross and for that we'd have to put up with the Beckham bloody circus and the performing Victoria. Has to be one of the most over rated players of modern times!
Spot on mate

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:23 AM »
No, I'd rather we look to sign long term quality players.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
Thanks but no thanks.

It would be a retrograde step.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »
I wouldn't have him at Villa like others have said it would be too much of a circus act and him being in the team would keep one of the youngsters out who would not get much game time so i would say no.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 09:35:48 AM »
Don't understand all this "backward step" stuff.  It's only til March, it's only on loan so we'd hardly be making it our long term policy would we?  We've already more or less written this season off as one of transition, but it's in dangerof becoming a relegation battle. Maybe we could do with a little more help in the short term?

As for cost, again it's only til March, so it's not going to break the bank.  And I doubt Posh is going to up sticks and move to Erdington for 3 months.

On the plus side, it would raise our profile, bring in extra revenue, and would add something on the pitch, even at 35.  He may be overrated but he is still one of the best passers and crossers of the ball England has produced for a long time.  It would also be good for our young midfielders to train and play alongside someone who has been there and done it all. 

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
No, no, no and no again! offers nothing we can't get elsewhere, no pace, can't tackle, can't go past a player and can't head a ball, plays an occasional long ball or puts in an occasional cross and for that we'd have to put up with the Beckham bloody circus and the performing Victoria. Has to be one of the most over rated players of modern times!
Spot on mate

Seconded.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
I'd love it and I think it would do our kids the world of good to train with him everyday. I also think it would give the club a boost for a while.

Can't see any negative aspect to it at all. The bloke is a brilliant professional and all round good guy.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
Absolutely not.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
Even if he begged us and we didn't pay him a penny it would still be a NO!

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
Would I like him here? No
However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was friends with Randy?

I think he would definately have turned up at West Ham, but not so sure now with them having Gold & Sullivan there.
So choice wise, I think he will end up with his old mucker Sven.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
Yes all the way for 6 months, he's still a class act and could do a job maybe not a full game but parts

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
With my high waisted trousers on 'It's a no from me'.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »
In the paper this morning he's quoted again as saying he would only play for ManU, thankfully.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
Can see him staying in LA to be fair with the family

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
Nico, If you read his last statement, he's ruled out any chance of Utd wanting him back.

"I've always wanted to play in the Premier League again and have always said it would be for Utd only, but i'm not holding my breath on that one, so we'll have to wait and see."

I think he'd come and he'd offer us a hell of a lot more than Pires. He can run, for a start.
Pires hadn't been playing before moving to us. Beckham was at AC Milan up to last season, and has just finished a season in The States. Yes, I'd get him in. I don't think he'd turn us down now either as his options would be getting more limited now.

There's as much chance of us getting Ronaldo.  We are way to unattractive a club for brand Beckham.  Sad but true.  Can you imagine Posh shopping in the Bullring?  Thought not.

What nonsense. Why do they have to live in Birmingham? And how much better do you think the Trafford Centre would have been for her when they were playing up there?

They live in Hertfordshire, which is hardly a terrible distance from Bodymoor Heath.

I don't think he'd come because of the "not Man United" thing, but it pisses me off when we use this Brummie inferiority complex nonsense to create other excuses.

It's not an "inferiority complex" its a fact. Villa could not and have never attracted the top, top stars to Brum and are absolutely not going to be able to attract the most famous football on the planet to B6.

This strikes me as classic Brummie Inferiority Complex.  The reason why we have never attracted top, top stars to Brum is because we previously had a Chairman who never had the money/ambition to do such things.  If you are trying to say that the city of Manchester has more going for it than the UK's Second City then I would respectfully have to disagree. 

With money and ambition any club can sign any player - perhaps the most celebrated example being Maradona going to Napoli. On the issue of Villa attempting to sign Beckham...I would be very disappointed if we went down such a route.  This would not move our Club forward in the slightest. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal