collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Penalty saves?  (Read 6772 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Penalty saves?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
I'm not talking about standing there but as the player strikes the ball move in the direction that the ball is going towards. If the penalty is hit well enough it will go in anyway, if not it gives the keeper more of a chance to save it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »
I'm not talking about standing there but as the player strikes the ball move in the direction that the ball is going towards. If the penalty is hit well enough it will go in anyway, if not it gives the keeper more of a chance to save it.
I agree that it what they should do - but my previous post was an explanation as to why it looks like so many easy penalties seem to be scored.

If keepers started doing what we are suggesting then as I said - more will be blasted at the corners and keepers won't get close to them.

To argue against my own point though, I can't imagine that our idea hasn't occurred to two generations of goalkeeping coaches the world over.

Offline peter w

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
But it hasn't been successfully gotten over to keeper sthen as its still, pick a corner and guess'. Penalties will be scored more often than not, and the whole moving early came about to try and even up the competition for the keepers. Following on from that penalty-takers could wait for them to go and score simple looking spot kicks. But now the pendulum has swung the other way again, and players aren't just running up and hitting them then they should try waiting again. As for more being blasted at the corners, well surely that's what the keepers should want them to do, make them hit a penalty weel should they want to score it which hardly has to happen now.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
Peter, I'm not sure what you're arguing - as far as I can tell, we're in complete agreement.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »
Just saying that penalty takers have got lazy in the art of penalty taking. Make them put it in the corner which keepers - and Brad Friedel - aren't doing at the moment. That's all. Nothing else to see here.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »
I was thinking this after the SHA game and yep never saved one in a competitive game for us and he has faced a few.

Which is mad as he saved loads at Blackburn (including one against barry a few years ago) such as two in one game against Sheffield United in 06/07.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
I agree with Peter W that the players have got lazy in taking a penalty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal