collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v WBA Post-Match Thread  (Read 37559 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa v WBA Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I really enjoyed that. Three points, back to winning ways and a good, hard fought local derby. Thought the kids played well and deserve a lot of credit but as Houllier mentioned in the week, he was looking for players that were up for the battle. In Downing, Collins, Carlos, Ashley and Heskey, he found them.

As I mentioned pre-match, the Baggies are far from a bad side but overall we just had too much for them. Today was about attitude as much as it was about the 3 points after Monday night, so it's wonderful to see us winning on both scores today.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
Well done, Carlos. Now, back to the bench for 6 weeks.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
Surprised more people haven't mentioned Downing.  Thought he was the best player on the pitch today, slightly ahead of Albrighton.  He tracked back well, caused a threat, put some good balls in and scored the opener.  Gutted to have not kept a clean sheet again but a much needed 3 points.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:26:19 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
a lot less panick at the back, put NRC in the middle and we will have enough to stay away from trouble, Albrighton is becoming a real player, thought Ash worked his socks off.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Agree HEITS, downing put in a good shift

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
Downing was very good again and did well to get in at far post for the goal. First half they were the better side, and second half we improved a lot.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
Well that was a bit better. Carlos looking the sort of defender MON refused to acknowledge, allbrighton, Downing, Lichaj, Emile all positives. Nervy performance but not surprising really - always got a chance if half your team are playing well and the others are at least trying.. WBA piss poor in truth. Least it gives us a bit of breathing space till the transfer window opens. I really hope GH has been phoning round already lining up deals  because the hole in the centre of midfield is there for all to see and needs to be plugged asap. A better team would have punished us today.
Cant agree with the Albion being piss poor Greg.
Probably the best baggies team I have seen at the Villa for a few years, which goes to show how hard the Villa lads all worked for each other today to get a result.
Never thought I would ever say this, but Heskey was for me the key player today. Albrighton was class. Downing is probably the most consistant this season.

Need a new keeper though. Brad looks all at sea when crosses come in.

Offline johncvilla88

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
Noticed Milner used as a bit part player again maybe a loan deal for the rest of the season!?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
Well that was a bit better. Carlos looking the sort of defender MON refused to acknowledge, allbrighton, Downing, Lichaj, Emile all positives. Nervy performance but not surprising really - always got a chance if half your team are playing well and the others are at least trying.. WBA piss poor in truth. Least it gives us a bit of breathing space till the transfer window opens. I really hope GH has been phoning round already lining up deals  because the hole in the centre of midfield is there for all to see and needs to be plugged asap. A better team would have punished us today.
Cant agree with the Albion being piss poor Greg.
Probably the best baggies team I have seen at the Villa for a few years, which goes to show how hard the Villa lads all worked for each other today to get a result.
Never thought I would ever say this, but Heskey was for me the key player today. Albrighton was class. Downing is probably the most consistant this season.

Need a new keeper though. Brad looks all at sea when crosses come in.

to me WBA's masterplan today was kick ashley. I thought they were supposed to be better than that. Expected a bit more from them at least given our injury problems. Can't fault the effort we put in today and maybe all the recriminations the past week have done some good. Agree that Emile was crucial - never thought i'd say that on here

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
Much better- positive team selection and lichaj, cuellar and heskey fully deserve to retain their places , shame about another late goal but a good performance , downing afain outstanding and can't really fault anyone too much today, defence more solid , more service from crosses and heskey very very good- nice to see fonz come on rather than Carew too!

Offline j66acd

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »
Cuellar was brilliant, and the block Collins pulled off at the end was excellent. Thought Hogg played really well, worked tirelessly and never gave their ball players time. Thought the game passes Bannan by, but he's young and just come back from injury.

Well done lads, going to have a good piss up at the Bescot now for my Christmas do.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
We needed a win and got a win, can't ask for more than that.  Now we need 3 points against Wigan, because we have a tough run after that.

Dunne did not look a happy bunny at all on the bench.

Offline Tucson Villain

• GM : 21.01.2022
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
Heskey really put a shift in today. A big difference to watching Carew lumber around.
 Carew will not get a look in if Emile is fit and rightly so.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »
We needed a win and got a win, can't ask for more than that.  Now we need 3 points against Wigan, because we have a tough run after that.

Dunne did not look a happy bunny at all on the bench.

Another plus for me that. if they're not doing it they should be dropped and fairplay to GH for being brave enough

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Good performance, shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet.

Was impressed with Albrighton, Cuellar and Heskey.

Lichaj was very good, was happy with his debut.

Warnock was awful (again) first half, second half he was better, probably because he didn't have too much to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal