collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Barry: Retired  (Read 58135 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Gareth Barry: Going Backwards Fast
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
I didn't much like the way he went about trying to get away but it's a fantastic achievement and he's a very decent footballer so fair play to him.

I saw his debut up at Sheffield Wednesday as well and for some reason, I could have sworn he played from the start but he was excellent, even at that age.

Offline Laurence

• Exiled in Lancashire
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
Fair play to Gareth, always had a soft spot for him and always look out for his performances.  As a previous poster commented, he gave England the balance they needed and was criminally overlooked for England for so long.  Good luck to him, hope he can carry on playing for as long as possible, even for them.  I noticed on the BBC News text feed last night a Brighton fan commenting, that it took them twenty years to catch him up, fair play to them too.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
I recall his breakthrough for England, not to be confused with his debut and early games.  I can't remember the opposition or the manager at the time , Cappello? But I believe he only got in due to injuries to other less players, a story similar to that of Platt, Hodge and other similar players who always seemed to be overlooked in favour of the current managers' favourites.

Barry controlled midfield from start to finish marked by the commentator highlighting his first misplaced pass which occurred during stoppage time.  I also recall the same commentator being amazed at just how good Barry was, something we'd known for a few years by that time.  He became a mainstay of the England midfield for a long time after that.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
loved GB

gutted he left but gave brilliant service for a long time

was in some kind of deal with micheal standing  . I cant remember what the deal one but GB was an absolute bargain.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
A true Pro.  Very underrated I think.  Even when he wanted a move from Villa he still gave us everything on the pitch.  He's been a great servent for which ever club he's played.  Its been a great career.  And I'm really happy for GB.  Expect him to keep the record for sometime too.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
I recall his breakthrough for England, not to be confused with his debut and early games.  I can't remember the opposition or the manager at the time , Cappello? But I believe he only got in due to injuries to other less players, a story similar to that of Platt, Hodge and other similar players who always seemed to be overlooked in favour of the current managers' favourites.

Barry controlled midfield from start to finish marked by the commentator highlighting his first misplaced pass which occurred during stoppage time.  I also recall the same commentator being amazed at just how good Barry was, something we'd known for a few years by that time.  He became a mainstay of the England midfield for a long time after that.

It was v Israel and Lampard was either injured or suspended. It was a canter to a 3.0 win under McLaren and there weren't many of them. They'd struggled to 0.0 six months earlier. He carried the midfield so no surprise Gerrard wanted him at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' thereafter

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »
Watching BBC Breakfast this morning they were talking about GB breaking the record.

Firstly the sports presenter (forget her name) announced that he'd broken the record playing "mostly for Aston Villa" at which point Dan Walker chipped in with "and Everton".  Then when the sports presenter mentioned how many goals he'd scored "almost all in an Aston Villa shirt" Walker again chipped in to point out that GB should be 2nd in the list because Giggs made his debut before the formation of the Premier League so has more top flight appearances.

And they say there's no anti-Birmingham bias at the BBC.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
GB should be 2nd in the list because Giggs made his debut before the formation of the Premier League so has more top flight appearances.

Funny how that parameter was not mentioned when the English / Welsh, womanising, eyes to close together to be trusted (says my Mom) United wanker was the record holder

So if that is the gauge - then its Peter Shilton with 800+ games in top flight - you know the Goalie that played for Midlands clubs

No bias at all
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:17:49 PM by Hookeysmith »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »
On Fox sports over here the female reporter renamed him Gareth Bale.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
loved GB

was in some kind of deal with micheal standing  . I cant remember what the deal one but GB was an absolute bargain.

My recollection is that he 'burst' on to the scene, had a bit of a dip over a few seasons in the 2000's, but then really came to the fore when O'Neill arrived.  He gave a masterclass at Villa Park a couple of seasons ago in a holding midfield role for Everton.  One of the long list of 'if only' statements from that time:

'if only Lerner hadn't lost the plot'
'if only we had been able to keep Barry, Milner, Ash Young etc.'
'if only Laursen and Bouma hadn't been injured'
Etc.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:34:30 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
GB should be 2nd in the list because Giggs made his debut before the formation of the Premier League so has more top flight appearances.

Funny how that parameter was not mentioned when the English / Welsh, womanising, eyes to close together to be trusted (says my Mom) United wanker was the record holder

So if that is the gauge - then its Peter Shilton with 800+ games in top flight - you know the Goalie that played for Midlands clubs

No bias at all

Yes I know the one. That'll be the drunk diving womanising ex midlands goalie.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
loved GB

My recollection is that he 'burst' on to the scene, had a bit of a dip over a few seasons in the 2000's, but then really came to the fore when O'Neill arrived.  He gave a masterclass at Villa Park a couple of seasons ago in a holding midfield role for Everton.  One of the long list of 'if only' statements from that time:

'if only Lerner hadn't lost the plot'
'if only we had been able to keep Barry, Milner, Ash Young etc.'
'if only Laursen and Bouma hadn't been injured'
Etc.

He was great down the left hand side during Sir Graham's season in charge, and continued that form under O'Leary too. But yes, he stepped it up another level when O'Neill moved him inside. A model of consistency in a variety of positions. That his lack of pace didn't stop him excelling in defence, midfield or down the wing says a lot about his other qualities.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »

No bias at all

Yes I know the one. That'll be the drunk diving womanising ex midlands goalie.

Tina and the Cortina indeed

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »
I'm sure gigs has about 40 more appearances than gb but wouldn't it be nice to get promoted sign him back and he breaks that record at vp.
don't think his coolness in midfield was ever replaced even though many have tried

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
Watching BBC Breakfast this morning they were talking about GB breaking the record.

Firstly the sports presenter (forget her name) announced that he'd broken the record playing "mostly for Aston Villa" at which point Dan Walker chipped in with "and Everton".  Then when the sports presenter mentioned how many goals he'd scored "almost all in an Aston Villa shirt" Walker again chipped in to point out that GB should be 2nd in the list because Giggs made his debut before the formation of the Premier League so has more top flight appearances.

And they say there's no anti-Birmingham bias at the BBC.

41 league goals for us, 6 for Man City and 5 for Everton.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal