collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Barry: Retired  (Read 58113 times)

Online ez

Re: Gareth Barry: Going Backwards Fast
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
Well done to him. It was a sad day when he left. One of our best players realising he had to leave to win trophies. I also see it as the beginning of the end of the champions league ambitions. Remember us all wondering who we'd replace him with? I think the answer turned out to be nobody.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
I just wish that he hadn't tried to manufacture a move to Liverpool. I'll appreciate all that he did, and yes still consider him more Villa than anything but that wasn't a good episode in his time with us. Much like Benteke in that regard, brilliant for us but there is a stain that can't be removed.

There’s no stain as far as I’m concerned, just a disappointed he left, but of course he justified his move when he won the League and FA Cup. As for him engineering a move, well isn’t every single transfer “engineered” by someone or another along the line?
Basically he was at the club from his 16th birthday so when he left it hurt, so maybe that’s the real reason there’s still a bit of bad feeling with some Villa fans. Not from me though, because he was a class act in a Villa shirt and a perfect professional. A terrific player and a Villa man.
Spot on, SH.
He is a Villa legend, in the sense that he played his games for us at a time when we were starting our descent into the current trough; pretty much uncomplainingly and with high personal standards.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
Great Achievement for someone who I think is underrated  in the football world, except for the fans who have witnessed him perform week in week out.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Barry deserves his time in the limelight, his achievements have been ignored for too long and the image of him being left for dead by Ozil in 2012 overshadows his career to an extent.

It actually annoys me that all the recent press has concentrated on how 'functional' to the detriment of his talent. When he played with Petrov and had the license to get forward, he was a creative force and great all round midfielder. Like Milner, he had to adapt to a more specific role when he went to Man City, and did it well. In no way was he just a meat and potatoes player though, he's skillful and a good finisher (as evidenced by his penalty taking record).

So why didn't he take the one at Arsenal?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Barry is fantastic on the ball, one of the most composed players we've ever had.  If he'd had a bit of pace he'd have got 100 England caps I reckon.  Was very good at picking out Michael Owen's runs for England in a few games.  I suppose he was unlucky to be playing when the so called golden generation were dominating the England midfield and failing to live up to their promise.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
Think he deserves a better thread title. Especially on here. Any chance mods?

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
He must have been overjoyed the day that Giggs packed in playing.

He must have thought, barring injury, i'll smash his record.

I doubt his ultimate games played will be broken.

Hats off to you Mr Barry, i hope you score tonight.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2017, 07:47:02 PM »
It's just sad he couldn't have success at the Villa. Massive achievement.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Just found this from Wikipedia: He played his first match for Villa on 2 May 1998, a 3–1 win at Sheffield Wednesday, as a 49th-minute substitute for Ian Taylor.

My bad. I thought we were all referring to the 1-0 at Wednesday's that August.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »
Barry deserves his time in the limelight, his achievements have been ignored for too long and the image of him being left for dead by Ozil in 2012 overshadows his career to an extent.

It actually annoys me that all the recent press has concentrated on how 'functional' to the detriment of his talent. When he played with Petrov and had the license to get forward, he was a creative force and great all round midfielder. Like Milner, he had to adapt to a more specific role when he went to Man City, and did it well. In no way was he just a meat and potatoes player though, he's skillful and a good finisher (as evidenced by his penalty taking record).

Had his best year with us as an attacking midfielder, the year we nearly made the breakthrough. Remember him dominating a home game v Ajax who had the likes of Suarez and Vermaelen at the time. Alas MON bought Heskey in Jan, went with Petrov and Barry as a two and predictably we ran out of legs

A genuine quality player on some very poor Villa sides. Combined superbly with Ashley Young particularly. Outstanding at City and Everton. His professionalism puts so many in the shade. We should have moved heaven and earth to resigning him when he left City.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »

Had his best year with us as an attacking midfielder, the year we nearly made the breakthrough. Remember him dominating a home game v Ajax who had the likes of Suarez and Vermaelen at the time. Alas MON bought Heskey in Jan, went with Petrov and Barry as a two and predictably we ran out of legs

A genuine quality player on some very poor Villa sides. Combined superbly with Ashley Young particularly. Outstanding at City and Everton. His professionalism puts so many in the shade. We should have moved heaven and earth to resigning him when he left City.

He played in some very good Villa teams as well and he was also outstanding in a Villa shirt.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Fantastic achievement. Shame he plays for them but that seems up our decline over last 5 years. I'm sure he'd have preferred to have come back here if we were a premier league team still.

He's had a ridiculously good fitness record. In 20 years as a pro think that injury he had just before the 2010 world cup was the longest he's been injured for which is incredible.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Well done to him. It was a sad day when he left. One of our best players realising he had to leave to win trophies. I also see it as the beginning of the end of the champions league ambitions. Remember us all wondering who we'd replace him with? I think the answer turned out to be nobody.

Milner was terrific that season when he moved centrally. I think Stan appreciated his amazing workrate so he could just sit infront of the back four and distribute.

As good as Petrov-Barry combination was at passing the ball early it was two one paced when we faced another top 6 team in those seasons especially as we were usually playing 4-4-2.

It all fell apart when Milner left.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
Eh good luck to him. Selfish of me I know but whenever I see him or Milner or Young play I just cant help thinking.... "what if?" Its not their problem of course, they each made the right move for their careers.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
Just found this from Wikipedia: He played his first match for Villa on 2 May 1998, a 3–1 win at Sheffield Wednesday, as a 49th-minute substitute for Ian Taylor.

My bad. I thought we were all referring to the 1-0 at Wednesday's that August.

Nah, spring '98, Hendrie/Yorke/Joachim with Savo and Collymore in and around causing absolute havoc to most teams. Liquid football, nine out of eleven wins, most in very impressive style like the win at Wednesday. The season coming to an end meant the momentum stopped, losing Yorke after a saga that lasted all summer and Gregory becoming more pragmatic was the death of that exciting football even if we were top of the table as late as Jan'99.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal