collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Barry: Retired  (Read 58105 times)

Offline Mellin

Re: Gareth Barry: Going Backwards Fast
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
A good, solid, hard working player but without the flair or ability to be on that kind of level.

Which was said about Lampard at a similar age.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
Milner would have been a hell of a lot better in our side than City's. He was and would be the focal point, and GH would have moulded him into the Gerard role IMO.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
I never understood people worrying when Barry left and thinking we'd miss him, he's overweight, he's slow, he's one paced and one dimensional and he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck. He's a left footed Petrov and our midfield got overrun almost every game when they played together. He'll win fuck all there and he'll soon be replaced by someone younger and better.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
I think James Milner would be fantastic at the heart of the side Gerard is beginning to build - fantastic energy, no little skill, heart of a lion and can score goals. Completely wasted at City out wide, watching Toure, De Jong and Barry passing sideways and backwards all afternoon.

I'm sure his pay packet is softening the blow but he must be looking back with fondness at the role he had and how much the fans loved him here.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
A good, solid, hard working player but without the flair or ability to be on that kind of level.

Milner doesn't score or set-up as many goals from open play as Lampard did at his age. He has a better engine maybe but technically I think he's lacking, plenty of perspiration but not enough inspiration to be truly top class.

I agree entirely with Sandman. We do miss Milner at the moment but I can never see him being a really top player like Gerrard and Lampard. This time next year when our young lads have come on a bit more and Ireland is flying we'll be better off.

Offline beness

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
They seem to get their heads turned when they play for England. Once they get a regular nod from the manager they seem to need to be playing for the richest or the most popular(in the eyes of the press).

Offline Yeltzer

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
Has fat baz's arse got any bigger whilst he's been warming the bench?

Offline Dan England

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
Delph would be ruined as a player if he were a holding player. He can really attack, also, he can't tackle.

Agreed, Delph is a box-to-box player. If he learns to tackle (he needs to if he wants to make it in the Premiership) he can maybe fill the Milner-shaped hole in our midfield.

Paul Scholes seems to have done ok. I don't think his ability to tackle will decide whether he is a success or not.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
i think we will see the best of delph under gary mcallister... he knows his best position from his leeds days, and he was never used as a defensive midfielder...

his tenacity and love of a tackle will serve him well in the attacking role, next to a proper holding midfielder... hopefully one with pace, a good touch and passing ability...

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2010, 08:15:47 PM »
Sometimes a club gets the best years of a player's career and even if they move on to something supposedly bigger and better, they never quite recapture what they had before.

The same happened to Ugo, Southgate, Bosnich and Platt.

Earned shed loads of dosh but they played their best football with us, engineered a move and suddenly they found out that perhaps life at the Villa wasn't as bad as they thought it was.
Platt won the UEFA Cup, Italian Cup, Premier League and FA Cup once he left us and played for a couple of the biggest teams in the world.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have too many regrets about going.

What I meant was he played his best football with us.  Wasn't a regular firt team player at Arsenal.

GB may well win a medal with Citeh but if he's watching from the bench how much satisfaction will it give him.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
Nothing really against Barry.

The News of the World article was bad judgement, but he came back from that and gave us a decent final season.

Milner gave us a decent final game.

None of them rank higher for me, from the moment they said they wanted out (though Milner was canny enough to never actually say that in so many words -at least not in public) they were dead to me.

With Custardpants there was at least a suggestion that he was torn on the issue, and at various stages he seemed to be wavering.

With Milner, pretty much as soon as Citeh's interest was reported there was never a suggestion that he might remain, that he'd at least give it a shot for another year to see if we could match up to his ambitions. He wanted out and that was that.

Barry was the classier player, the best player we've had since McGrath in making the game look easy at times. Milner was always more about endeavour and workrate. I'd probably take the latter back if he was ever available, purely from an age point of view.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »

Milner doesn't score or set-up as many goals from open play as Lampard did at his age. He has a better engine maybe but technically I think he's lacking, plenty of perspiration but not enough inspiration to be truly top class.
Without wanting to be confrontational, it's always worth just looking something up before claiming it as being true.

Last year Milner was 23 and scored twelve goals for us. In the season Lampard turned 23 he scored nine goals.

Maybe their birthdays correlate badly and the season you're referring to happened the year after, when Lampard turned 24. In which he scored seven goals.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Gareth Barry was one of the best Aston Villa players over the last ten years. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Capello, Mancini and Benitez seemed to have an opinion that he could be a holding midfielder when in fact any Villa supporter could have told them he was nothing of the sort. He was at his best as an attacking midfielder for us, great man to burst into the box with a header and a very creative player. Remember him in that game against Ajax he was superb. Very good on the ball and used link with Ashley Young very well. But he couldnt tackle for shit, wasnt athletic so I dont really understand how three top managers have got it so wrong about him. MON's decision to switch from the successful three man midfield that season to bringing in Heskey with Petrov and Barry in the centre was disastrous. Barry and Petrov was the slowest midfield in the league.

But we sold him at the right time. His best days were over, as a clever guy maybe he knew that himself and wanted to cash out at City who knows. I certainly wouldnt hold it against him.

Milner on the other hand was stupid. He is an average wide player simply put. He could have stayed at Villa and kept developing as a centre midfielder. When I see him at City now struggling out wide I cant help thinking that getting 24m for him was one of the deals of the decade. I know he will become a very wealthy man out of his stint at City but same as SWP, Sidwell or countless others going somewhere for money often doesnt turn out too well. Those two have never recovered their form and are now joke players. Does it really make a difference if you are on 60k or 80k a week. Surely playing in your best position for a club that respects you counts for something too.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Not sure I would pay £26 million for Milner....     good riddance to both of them. Milner wanted out of here quick when he heard about shitty , Barry was becoming a tank without a driver....                Onwards and forward with Houlier...

Offline villa for life

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
well, if he's willing to drop down and go backwards about ten places in the premier league (from Champions League position to lower half), then there's a midfield spot for him at Villa.
Him and Milner represent about 30 million of midfield talent that has left

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal