collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Barry: Retired  (Read 58155 times)

Offline barrysleftfoot

Re: Gareth Barry: Going Backwards Fast
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »

Always said that Barry was too slow, and that we needed more pace in midfield.

I was constantly shot down on here by people who said he was a Villa great.A good footballer when he has the ball, not very good when he does'nt have the ball, his lack of pace exposes the defence to counter attacking team, and he is not a great passer.If you are as slow as Barry, you need to be like Hoddle or Murphy and have a good pass, he has'nt.

Was'nt sorry to see him go, thought he had a good times at Villa, but we needed to move on.

Milner looks a shadow, and it would'nt surprise me if he moved on in the summer.One thing about Milner for me though, he is not an attacking midfielder, he is a defensive midfielder.Would i have him back, depends on how Bannan develops over the rest of the season.Personally i think Bannan will become a very good footballer, not sure Milner will.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
Off topic, but I think you under-estimate MIlner.

He has a phenomenal engine, which means he can play as an attacking midfielder and can track back and defend as needed.

I think he's wasted at Citeh where the team isn't bonding together quickly.

The whole is certainly less than the sum of its parts.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
No way would I want him back, too slow and seems to be regressing.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 11:28:29 AM »

I don't mean to disrespect Milner, Tim......i agree with you, he has a good engine, great shot, and good pass.I'm not sure he has the best touch to play as an attacking midfielder though.

I would have loved to have had him and Delph as our 2 holding midfielders, with 23 attacking midfielders.For me both him and Delph have similar qualities, but their overall abilities means you can have them playing as holding midfielders, with , if you like , attacking midfielders qualities.

The potential of Bannan though , has probably meant a reassessment of the system, and clientele.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
Agree with lots of spot-on comments on here. There seems to be a mindset amongst many footballers that if someone offers you more at a 'bigger' (ie richer) club, then you must take it - even if you're already earning more money than you know what to do with. The irony is that agents, whose very existence seems to depend on capitalising on everything around them, manage to convince 'lads' whose main aim in life is to play football to the best of their ability, to cash in without really weighing up the pros and cons. Milner was quickly becoming a truly great central midfielder and ends up at a club with a surfeit of them. I was upset when he left (partly because I thought he was a decent feet-on-the-ground guy) and I'm even more upset now when I think of what he COULD be doing and what he IS doing. Sir Alex was spot on in his comments about agents the other day re Rooney.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
Sometimes a club gets the best years of a player's career and even if they move on to something supposedly bigger and better, they never quite recapture what they had before.

The same happened to Ugo, Southgate, Bosnich and Platt.

Earned shed loads of dosh but they played their best football with us, engineered a move and suddenly they found out that perhaps life at the Villa wasn't as bad as they thought it was.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
He was a very good player for us but I think the move suited us both, our centre midfield was far too slow with him and Petrov in it, he doesn't look particularly athletic and he's always going to be exposed if he's not in tip-top shape as he doesn't seem to be. Mancini seems to be under a bit of pressure to play a more attacking line up and given that he's paid bigger money for both De Jong and Toure, Barry was always going to be the one left out.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
Off topic, but I think you under-estimate MIlner.

He has a phenomenal engine, which means he can play as an attacking midfielder and can track back and defend as needed.

I think he's wasted at Citeh where the team isn't bonding together quickly.

The whole is certainly less than the sum of its parts.

No way would I want him back, too slow and seems to be regressing.

Nor me. Same goes for Barry as far as I am concerned...    ;-)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »

I would have loved to have had him and Delph as our 2 holding midfielders, with 23 attacking midfielders.

I'm not sure we'd get away with this!

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to fatface Platt on the dole

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

I would have loved to have had him and Delph as our 2 holding midfielders, with 23 attacking midfielders.

I'm not sure we'd get away with this!
Delph would be ruined as a player if he were a holding player. He can really attack, also, he can't tackle.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2010, 01:21:32 PM »
Delph would be ruined as a player if he were a holding player. He can really attack, also, he can't tackle.

Agreed, Delph is a box-to-box player. If he learns to tackle (he needs to if he wants to make it in the Premiership) he can maybe fill the Milner-shaped hole in our midfield.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
Barry's problem is that after his move to Citeh, he's tried to be something he's not, especially for England. He now sees himself as an equal to Gerrard and Lampard, getting forward, joining the attack when his strength was keeping it simple at the back of midfield and allowing the more talented players do the attacking. He could do it as he showed countless times for us, going down the left channel. Trying to do the same thing through the middle is a completely different story. He doesn't have the pace to get back, thus the formation of the team collapses.

He's still a very good player but only in a more limited role. Like others, I can see him being offloaded by Citeh in the very near future; if not January, then certainly next summer.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
Sometimes a club gets the best years of a player's career and even if they move on to something supposedly bigger and better, they never quite recapture what they had before.

The same happened to Ugo, Southgate, Bosnich and Platt.

Earned shed loads of dosh but they played their best football with us, engineered a move and suddenly they found out that perhaps life at the Villa wasn't as bad as they thought it was.
Platt won the UEFA Cup, Italian Cup, Premier League and FA Cup once he left us and played for a couple of the biggest teams in the world.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have too many regrets about going.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Am I alone in not wanting Milner back?

He will be a decent all rounder in midfield (centrally. He is very poor on the wing) but the talk on here from some of him being the new Lampard or Gerrard was totally ludicrous. A good, solid, hard working player but without the flair or ability to be on that kind of level. In my view he was just about at his level with us. Not quite good enough to be a star in a top four side but good enough to be one for us. Even then I'd like someone a bit more like Ireland at his best in that position for us.

The reason I don't want Milner back is simple. Bannan, Delph, Gary Gardner and Ireland are all good players in a not too different position. Now Milner now is a better player but why do we need another player in that position? Like GHou said of Owen it has no point, it is pointless. If Bannan, Delph and Gardner amount to even half their current potential (which I must say is by no means guaranteed) they would be twice the player and that is before we think of Ireland. We need a hard bastard in midfield. A holding midfielder who would deal out the short passes and the uncompromising tackles. Sort of a Petrov-Coker if we could find one. Milner won't be that. It would not be good for us (he won't really excel in that role) and it won't be good for him (he has the potential to perform a much broader role). On top of that we also have NRC, Petrov (once fit) and Pires as short term options. We have no need for another all rounder/attacking midfielder.

I also don't get this argument that Milner is better than Barry because he didn't stamp his feet. At the end of the day Barry played for Villa for 12 years and though admittedly he came close to leaving on a few occasions he still had a long stint. Why does Milner deserve more respect for what? Six months good form after a poor start?

In all honesty I don't really care about either of them. They don't play for a team I support and neither of them are what we need in terms of players. OK there is now an element of wanting them and the City 'project' to fail but other than that it's just numbness and I reckon in five years I'll have forgotten about both of them.

For Barry it is only going one way. Out the Man City door to Sunderland, Newcastle or maybe Fulham. Okay he might stick out and keep getting his fat wad. It is not promising for him.

For Milner, it is going to go one of two ways. Either he will get a go in Centre midfield or he will be sold WHEN (No ifs) Mancini gets sacked and end up somewhere like Liverpool. There is no guarantee of him fulfilling his potential as a central midfielder but for his sake I hope he gets a go there rather than on the wing or as a second striker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal