collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Barry: Retired  (Read 58144 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Gareth Barry: Going Backwards Fast
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
I'm sure it will, but surely they'll regret not playing to the best of their ability.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
Heartbreaking. I bet he's gutted he didn't go to Liverpool now ....or mabe not.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Good.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »
Surely the Germany game was evidence enough that he's nowhere near good enough at the sharp end of international football. The memory of him running through cement after Gerry glided by will burn long in the mind.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:45 PM »
A few of them City players will regret moving there. Barry, Milner, Given, Adebayor etc - none of them have done anything.

I think the extra few million they earned there rather then at the teams they left will soften the blow.

Maybe, and maybe they weren't exactly scratching a living where they were.  Their greed has been their undoing.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
Unfortunately, when some of the best of the English players like Barry (past), Milner, Adam Johnson take the money and go to Manchester City, they're doing the best thing for themselves (financially), but it is far from the best thing for English football.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »
Surely the Germany game was evidence enough that he's nowhere near good enough at the sharp end of international football. The memory of him running through cement after Gerry glided by will burn long in the mind.

That was depressing.

I remember one of the pundits after referring to that and saying that he assumed Barry had pulled a hamstring while chasing back, he was that slow.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »

That was depressing.

I remember one of the pundits after referring to that and saying that he assumed Barry had pulled a hamstring while chasing back, he was that slow.

Memories of Fenwick, or was it Reid?, chasing Maradona in '86.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »
It was created by sheer hubris by both Barry and Milner. In my opinion they didn't just move for the money but after MON's decisions to change the job they did for the Villa resulted in them becoming both instrumental and highly regarded amongst the media, they then began to think they could turn their 'talent' to anything. But lo and behold, they were forced into positions in which they were above average at best, below par at worst. Milner especially has looked half the player since he was shunted back onto the wing for England (I'm not sure where he plays for City and to be honest I don't give a shit) and there's nothing to add about Barry beside what's been widely quoted.

Milner still has a long career ahead of him and can improve under different managers in a more suitable position. But Barry has been shown up as very limited and I'm pretty shocked at his quick regression. I never thought he was the most skilful at Villa but he did a good job and did it well. But you couldn't even say he justifies a place on Villa's bench at the moment despite the injuries we've got.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
The thing with Man City and Milner is that they will probably change there manager soon and he will bring in his own players and the cycle will start again, will he ever get a chance to show what he can do in the middle for them? Like Curiousorange said, I don't give a shit but it's a waste of a great player and what could have been if he stayed put at Villa.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
Both Barry and Milner are not playing in roles that suit them, they both had the freedom at Villa to impose themselves on the game, the system at Citeh is far more rigid.
And neither of them look as good or as happy.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
Both Barry and Milner are not playing in roles that suit them, they both had the freedom at Villa to impose themselves on the game, the system at Citeh is far more rigid.

In fairness, though, although Barry was a very good footballer for us, he did also have a tendency to go missing for months at a time. He might just be going through one of his "not at the races" periods.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »
I never ceased to be amazed at how players are written off. Players do at times, suffer poor form. I'm sure Barry will move to another club and be successful again. Likewise, Milner may see the light in 12 months and jump ship. They're both damn good players.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »

In fairness, though, although Barry was a very good footballer for us, he did also have a tendency to go missing for months at a time. He might just be going through one of his "not at the races" periods.
i agree Barry is a good footballer for us, sometimes great, but he hasnt been pulling up trees for club or country for some time now, he is allready finding himself on the bench at citeh so it looks like his star is waning

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »
I never ceased to be amazed at how players are written off. Players do at times, suffer poor form. I'm sure Barry will move to another club and be successful again. Likewise, Milner may see the light in 12 months and jump ship. They're both damn good players.

Your right there both good players but there at a club that want instant success more than most and the demand is there to hit the ground running. If you don't there not going to hang around in finding a replacement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal