collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:11:19 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:55:50 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by The Edge
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:11:19 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Dick Edwards
[Today at 08:06:22 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:05:36 PM]

Re: Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:02:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 07:57:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other "mobs" turning up  (Read 30426 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
Re: Other "mobs" turning up
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
I'd have to go for Rangers too re. home games. Got off the train at Aston, but we were too scared to leave the station, as there was a huge mob of 'em inside and outside the Swanpool Tavern, (as it was then). We crossed the tracks and went down the embankment and over the fence into Lovers Walk, feeling pleased with ourselves, only to come out by The Ads, where there was an even bigger mob of 'em drinking, in the car park. You could hear a pin drop as we tiptoed past on the other side of the road by the three storey flats, them staring at us, hoping somebody would make eye contact, signalling a charge over the road at us, which, fortunately didn't come.
I remember the coppers trying to get in amongst the Rangers fans at the back of the Holte during the game, only to be driven back by a huge salvo of bottles.
I'll stand being corrected, but I think there were half a dozen stabbings, and the victims were all Rangers fans.

Rangers win this easily. I seriously thought i was going to die that day.

I'm sure there was a photo on the front page of The Argus that night, allegedly showing a Villa fan stabbing a Rangers fan, maybe at the Witton End ? I will have to get to the new Library and look at that nights Argus.

There were not any Villa fans on the Holte End. I will add my story of that day later.

Suffice to say that i hoped Rangers would go out of business in the last year or so.

I live in hope.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
After the rangers game a lot of them got picked off in town - some were still hanging around on the Monday i think.
They complained of having "stains" thrown at them I recall. Shame...

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
b23, I remember that Argus pic too.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »
Iirc there was a headline in the Mirror that Monday along the lines of "Villa's shame"after a Rangers fan was stabbed.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
I've mentioned it before, but I was 11 years old when my Dad took me to the Rangers game. Whereas I remember the undercurrent of the atmosphere the scariest thing for me that day was seeing my Dad in an angry rage, wanting to take on Rangers fans. My Dad comes from the East End of Glasgow and is a Celt, so you can imagine what he was like that day. Very scary.   

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024

Offline Villa-Villan

« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
Here is the other one:

I'm pretty sure it was Rochdale away, early 70's. I hitch-hiked  with my mate "Bootsy" on the Friday night from Brum and got to the local railway station very early Saturday AM to await the Villa fans arriving on the train.

I seem to remember it was bloody freezing and we went inside a waiting room on the platform to try and keep warm and get some sleep. I awoke from my bench seat feeling warmer and looked up to see Muffin who had taken off his big RAF coat? to cover me up!.....I'm pretty sure it was Muffin and the memory and act of comradeship has always stayed with me.

Many thanks for showing the photo. It brought back some great memories of old friends and being on the road following our Villa.

Offline gcorles

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
This was taken at Chelsea away 1967 mouse is far left Boot(rip) is far right do any over 60s know any one else
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:15:05 PM by gcorles »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
This was taken at Chelsea away 1967 mouse is far left Boot(rip) is far right do any over 60s know any one else

Great old picture.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
Here is the other one:

I'm pretty sure it was Rochdale away, early 70's. I hitch-hiked  with my mate "Bootsy" on the Friday night from Brum and got to the local railway station very early Saturday AM to await the Villa fans arriving on the train.

I seem to remember it was bloody freezing and we went inside a waiting room on the platform to try and keep warm and get some sleep. I awoke from my bench seat feeling warmer and looked up to see Muffin who had taken off his big RAF coat? to cover me up!.....I'm pretty sure it was Muffin and the memory and act of comradeship has always stayed with me.

Many thanks for showing the photo. It brought back some great memories of old friends and being on the road following our Villa.

You are welcome. There are some more pictures inside the programme with Muffin and his mates on it in a pub in Middlesbrough. Memories of a bygone age, so to speak.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal