collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who will be the best player?  (Read 26149 times)

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Re: Who will be the best player?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
Yes, I've heard good things about those two and a few others including Sid's son.
More immediately, I like the look of Carruthers (winger, attacking midfielder), Siegrist (goalkeeper) and Derrick Williams (defender). All very promising but my knowledge of that "batch" isnt as strong as the last few. Yet.
I havent seen much of this Johnson lad thats getting to the first team bench yet either.
me neither... of those you mentioned, only siegrist is the only one who looks like he has decent first team potential for me...

nothing, apart from gardner, really stands out from this particular batch to me though...

be difficult for me to keep tabs from now on too, as i now live in devon...

Offline cb

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
I'm not sure why people seem the think Fonz will end up like Luke Moore. Whether it's because he dose'nt seem like the happiest chap in the world when he scores i don't know, but bearing in mind he seems to score whener he put's on a first team shirt (and reserve one for that matter) i think he may well be the one to blossom out of all the others. Bannan, it's a bit too early to say, as with Clark, but there's no reason why Albrighton can't go on to be a very good footballer.

Well I remember Luke had a pretty outstanding scoring rate too, in fairness. Not that I think this means the Fonz will go the same way, just that it is still too early to tell either way. Only time and, Nathan continuing to score AND impress up front will mean that he makes it, not a bunch of Hurlers on the Ditch arguing the toss about his career. I think he has all the ingredients, it will just depend on whether he wants it enough...

Offline Merv

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
Clark looks very composed to me, very impressive. I'd say Albrighton has made the greater impact and is the more eye-catching player and he has got a real future ahead of him. But Clark... a bit more of a slow burner but he looks to have all the tools to be a top-class footballing centre-back - or defensive midfielder, as he's taken to that role surprisingly easy.

I think there are similarities with Gareth Southgate and Gareth Barry with Clark, though he's physically stronger than Southgate and a bit more mobile than Barry.

Bannan has surprised me so far; it'll be interesting to see how he fares given a run of games. Fonz? Very promising but it's always that bit harder for strikers to truly make it in the PL.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
i get the feeling that the work that has been done with the academy since randy lerner took over, will bear some serious fruit within the next 5-10 years...

Can you expand on this?  What has Randy done that was not done previously?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm curious as to that myself?

OK, they would have benefitted from the improved facilities at Bodymoor Heath, but I'm sure all those currently emerging would have been on our books before Randy bought the club.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
improved facilities will most certainly improve the quality of the youngsters coming through...

if the question is loaded, then i wouldnt bother probing further... the passing remark is only about the facilities that the youngsters now have and can use from an earlier age, and nothing more...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:55:07 PM by pablopicasso_10 »

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
I'd guess that there will have been a whole number of intangible improvements around the place but I'd be interested to know whether there have been any structural changes that Randy and/or the management have introduced.

As an aside does anyone have the games/goal record for Vassell, L. Moore, Gabby and The Fonz?
Who was the most prolific and is it necessarily a decent gauge to their actual ability?

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
I voted Bannan because he's shown that he is capable of, amongst his other attributes, vision, which is a rare gift. I don't worry about his size as some do, I really don't think it's so relevant in his position, it's not as if he's playing centre forward or centre half. Besides, Sid had the physique of a stick insect when he was a kid.

Having said that I think all four could make the big time so long as they continue to work hard and keep their feet on the ground (metaphorically speaking)

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »
Sorry pablo - I typed that whilst you were replying.  Not a loaded question, far from it, just curious thats all.

...and I agree that the improved facilities can only benefit the youngsters.  I'd imagine that the relative stability around the club can only help too.  Whilst the manager can change at the top of the pyramid the youth system - in my opinion - needs to be consistent - which it has been for a number of years now.

Offline charlie659

• Brian Little walks on water - FACT
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2010, 05:41:08 PM »
Gary Gardner will be better than all of them, can't wait for the Bannan-Gardner-Delph midfield  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:43:13 PM by charlie659 »

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »
Clark reminds me of a younger John Terry. Minus the wanker part

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
Sorry pablo - I typed that whilst you were replying.  Not a loaded question, far from it, just curious thats all.

...and I agree that the improved facilities can only benefit the youngsters.  I'd imagine that the relative stability around the club can only help too.  Whilst the manager can change at the top of the pyramid the youth system - in my opinion - needs to be consistent - which it has been for a number of years now.
no problem.. i think i spent too much time over at vt and have become suspicious when people question certain things.. apologies for the suspicion...

i think the beauty of improved facilities for players of the age of grealish, graham, etc, and those below them, is that their improvement will happen quicker for them in terms of their 'technical development', which will then mean that they will have a great starting base as standard... thats when the intelligent and strong players will stand out as the best of the best, and they will be the ones to flourish...

and i think that over the next five to ten years, we will see those coming through...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
I think Albrighton and Delfouneso look like they both have a hell of a chance. Clark too, although obviously as a defensive player he is less eye catching. Bannan hasn't convinced me as much as he obviously has some other fans. The Scotland call up will be interesting, I hope it doesn't end up being a negative thing because of the poor state of their team at international level at the moment. Weimann looks like he's got a chance too.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
I reckon for me it's Albrighton. He seems like a really down-to-earth lad and I haven't been this optimistic about a youngster at the club probably since Lee Hendrie. I know that sounds like damning with faint praise now but it's meant as a big compliment.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
I liked this tweet from Henry Winter:

There's quiet buzz at Bodymoor Heath. #avfc kids will have good principles as players/people drummed into them by Houllier/McAllister/Cowans

The kids are alright.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal