collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Steve67
[Today at 09:35:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier thrilled with impact of "blossoming" Reo-Coker  (Read 14978 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Houllier thrilled with impact of "blossoming" Reo-Coker
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
If his passing was just a wee bit more incisive he'd be a £15-20 million player.

KG, his passing has greatly improved as you can see below. The other interesting fact is the vast majority of his passes are forward, rather than sideways or back.What he does, he does very well:

Sunderland game: 23 passes...20 successful
Chelsea game: 24 passes...22 successful
Spurs game: 45 passes...39 successful
Wolves game: 23 passes...19 successful

I agree Mark.

His basic passing with an emphasis on retaining possession has improved.

I'm talking about the kind of pass, or delicate flick to a teammate in space when the opposition is stretched that would make him a £15-20 million player.

Think the charge v Everton at home, countless times v Stoke and Wolves. Even against Chelsea, if he didn't feel confident enough in taking the shot he could have held up play, drawn Cech out and slid the Fonz through.

That's what makes him so frustrating, he does so many things right and then sinks his own boat. Whether it's an awareness thing or lack of composure/ technical ability I'm not sure.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »
Reo has been excellent for us this season, I hope he signs a new deal.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
He has "blossomed"? Fuck me! He sounds like a character out of Katherine Mansfield's "Her First Ball"

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
To be captain in Petrov's absence, Dunne as vice-captain.

Massive vote of confidence from Houllier for him.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
In your consistent attempts to prove to the world that you're the great lost footballing coach you're obliged to try to over play his part and make out that somehow our management team have now cottoned on to something that only you were privy to. Problem is, it's bollocks. In a 442 his limitations are glaringly obvious but as long as we continue to play in this way then he'll do a fine job until we can upgrade to someone better who can do the donkey work that he does but also contribute a bit more when we're in possession.

If you are going to argue that he creates then can you give a few examples of his assists?

Downing is a better player this season because he's had a full pre season, just as most people predicted, and he's been our best player since Houllier arrived, closely followed by Heskey and Young (when played in the middle).

So we should accept the view of a bloke proved so wrong over O'Neill and discount even not allow any other viable opinion?

Coker's improvement has come about because he now has a manager who believes he can do a job well, plays him regularly and in a system that allows him the time to make the passes he's good at.
He's shown in the past he's plenty able to deliver the killing ball and run box to box effectively. Had he been one of Mon's startlets I'm sure you view Chris, would be totally different.
In Ireland we have the pass maker and another box to box player, if he ever gets his head right and it took Petrov 3 seasons with Mon backing him regardless.
9 games in is no time to start the playground bitching anyway no matter how desperate some may be, especially when you consider the shit Mon left on his swift exit.
Coker is doing well, Downing too, Luke Young, even Beye, have performed well enough too, its a pity Ashley, Carew, Dunne, Warnock can't match the improvement they and Heskey have shown, then perhaps they would have limited the O'Neill desertion even more.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Reo has been excellent for us this season, I hope he signs a new deal.
Whilst I agree he's been very good in the four league games he's played so far, I would wait until Xmas before thinking about offering him a new deal. You never know, he might chin Houllier in the coming weeks and then what would we do with him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
I see that he is going to be offered a new deal, so happy with that.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »
In your consistent attempts to prove to the world that you're the great lost footballing coach you're obliged to try to over play his part and make out that somehow our management team have now cottoned on to something that only you were privy to. Problem is, it's bollocks. In a 442 his limitations are glaringly obvious but as long as we continue to play in this way then he'll do a fine job until we can upgrade to someone better who can do the donkey work that he does but also contribute a bit more when we're in possession.

If you are going to argue that he creates then can you give a few examples of his assists?

Downing is a better player this season because he's had a full pre season, just as most people predicted, and he's been our best player since Houllier arrived, closely followed by Heskey and Young (when played in the middle).

So we should accept the view of a bloke proved so wrong over O'Neill and discount even not allow any other viable opinion?

Coker's improvement has come about because he now has a manager who believes he can do a job well, plays him regularly and in a system that allows him the time to make the passes he's good at.
He's shown in the past he's plenty able to deliver the killing ball and run box to box effectively. Had he been one of Mon's startlets I'm sure you view Chris, would be totally different.
In Ireland we have the pass maker and another box to box player, if he ever gets his head right and it took Petrov 3 seasons with Mon backing him regardless.
9 games in is no time to start the playground bitching anyway no matter how desperate some may be, especially when you consider the shit Mon left on his swift exit.
Coker is doing well, Downing too, Luke Young, even Beye, have performed well enough too, its a pity Ashley, Carew, Dunne, Warnock can't match the improvement they and Heskey have shown, then perhaps they would have limited the O'Neill desertion even more.

Are you capable of making a post without referring to our previous manager? Every thread for you is just an opportunity to drag up the same dull arguments. Are you ill or just an objectionable fucker?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
I see that he is going to be offered a new deal, so happy with that.
Just seen that. I know some like Chris have their doubts about Reo but what comforts me is we have both Gary Mac and Sid working with him, both smart and experienced enough to decide whether Reo is worth keeping or not, plus how far he can develop. Whilst nothing is guarenteed, we only have to look at the endless number of posts that predicted John Robertson would teach Ashley and Milner how to cross a ball, to know that it doesn't always work out as you expect.

Reo has a lot of catching up to do but if he can continue to work at his game, we could end up saving ourselves a lot of money.

Very interesting comments from Houllier regarding NRC and new contracts which left me feeling Carew could be gone in January.

Offline rutski

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
He has "blossomed"? Fuck me! He sounds like a character out of Katherine Mansfield's "Her First Ball"
i havent read that, sounds like i dont want too!

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Houllier quoted in The Times today:

"We will try and keep him but if he wants to go, then he'll go elsewhere. His performances are getting better and better and he plays for the team, in a role where you have to be very unselfish and work hard.

"You improve if you've got a bit of talent, of course, but also if you work hard and keep focused, and also in an environment where you are trusted and you can play to your qualities.

"He has a bit of talent - otherwise he wouldn't have been the Under-21 captain - and he's an example for the team. He's got personality. He's a winner, he's a fighter, and I like that."

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
All good things.

The ball is in his court now.

Whether he wants a new deal or to put himself in the shop window is entirely up to him and I won't knock him whichever direction he takes.

It could be argued that MON departing has removed the biggest obstacle to his career progressing at Villa and he should just sign on the dotted line. But another way to look at it is the next contract he signs will probably be the most important of his career - taking him up to the age of 29-30- and a large chunk of his time at Villa to date has been frustrating.
Whilst he seems to be flavour of the month with the Villa manager now -particularly with Stan out- will that change in Jan or next summer were he to commit?

He's always had a decent rapport with the fans, always given 100% when playing and I don't envisage that changing even if he does wind his contract down.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal