collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier's presence  (Read 35387 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Houllier's presence
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
The football is already a lot more attractive.
He seems to favour playing people in their correct positions.
Despite the transfer window being closed, he has already in effect given us two new signings in NRO and Luke Young.
Bet the scousers are jealous.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »
It's just a small thing, but when the team coach arrives Gerard looks round at the crowd and smiles. O'Neill, and almost every away manager, either looks blankly ahead or ignores everyone. Maybe Gez, at his age and with his history, knows there are more important things then me me me.

Good point Dave. I well remember being totally ignored by O'Neill when the team coach arrived at the Toronto ground in July 2007; I thought at the time 'that's gratitude for having travelled so far', whereas Gareth Barry was happy to shake hands and we also had a good chat with Mark Delaney and Shaun Maloney prior to the match.

I am one of those who were taken in by O'Neill for a long time but I have to say I think Houllier is a breath of fresh air, particularly as he is now utilising his resources. I think he's already proved that we do not need lots of new players; let's be honest, we're not going to be able to make many signings in the next window, or even next Summer, in the present climate of lower gates and, potentially, lower average price for ticket, with all the discounts which are presently being offered. However, with NRC, Heskey, Young L. and even Beye yesterday having faith placed in them once more it is starting to feel as though we are only lacking the proverbial 'couple of players', namely class striker and midfielder.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »
I'm aware that we've lost a good manager, I'm hoping Gerard will be an even better manager. What I don't understand is why people are rejoicing in our so-called "better football" on the back of two results that are worse than the corresponding fixtures last season. That's the type of stuff we take the piss out of the Baggies for.

"Rejoicing" - somewhat over the top there.

You've said yourself that for you it is just the result that matters, not the style of football, so you're not really going to understand, are you?

Which is why I said...

I don't get it. We got a draw at Spurs and beat chelsea at home last season. I guess I'm just not cultured enough to understand this better football craic.

That's seems pretty consistent to me.

I'm not saying you're not being consistent.

I'm saying that as you've said yourself, for you it's all about results and style of football doesn't come into it, so you're not going to get why people are impressed with the change in style if the results aren't as good.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Think MON will go to Liverpool. And think he will be a complete disaster. He dont like "big" players who have ego`s as big as he`s and Liverpool will need them type of players. Houlier has been a breath of fresh air. And our football is becoming more attractive to watch ...........

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
Liverpool turned him down in the summer and everyone in football knows it. He'll have to swallow a lot of pride to take the job now.

Offline eastie

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
Interesting to hear that dave because I'd also heard that he had gone for the Liverpool job only to be turned down in favour of hodgson, I thought it was just a rumour as he was still villa boss at the time , but your words suggest it was true after all- which makes him a bigger rat in that case as he would have had complete disregard for us if true.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
Interesting to hear that dave because I'd also heard that he had gone for the Liverpool job only to be turned down in favour of hodgson, I thought it was just a rumour as he was still villa boss at the time , but your words suggest it was true after all- which makes him a bigger rat in that case as he would have had complete disregard for us if true.

I don't mind so much if a manager walks out for another job - it usually means they've done well here and these things happen in football.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
Word was Kenny wanted him, thought he could work the board there and persuade them but in the end they said no.  Probably preferring the charms of don't rock the boat Uncle Woy rather than another agitator so soon after Benitez.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
I've heard that rumour too and it's something I really hope isn't true as it would ruin my perception of somebody I thought was one of the good guys.  Despite the decidedly stale feel of the end of last season I always thought of O Neill as a bloke with integrity - something missing in most. 

Online KevinGage

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
It was fairly obvious that something was in the offing when he wouldn't commit his future in March/ April when asked directly. Only giving vague 'we'll see/ a lot needs to be looked at' type responses.

Even when he came back in July he looked like he just didn't want to be here and a number of players commented on it.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
KG, yep, it makes a lot of sense in hindsight.  Him walking when he did was shit.  But if it was a matter of principal I could stomach it even if it was misguided.  If he already had one foot out of the door then it changes everything for me. 

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »
Is it the same board at Liverpool now? I still think he'd go if he was asked, especially with new owners there. It's perfect for him: struggling high-profile team that should be doing much better - and probably would under him. He'd be walking in there as the new messiah, he'd drag them out of the mire and reinstate them to a position of respectability. Then he'd be off before the Kop could cry (and I mean cry) "Gerraaaard at left back? Come 'ed, la!"

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
Ged's done as well as we could have hoped for performance wise. A bit nor luck and we would be flying. The season could still go either way though. I think lack of goals and lack of holding midfield options could be our downfall. Delph and gabby could make s big difference. And I'm hoping our players will be less burned out. Having those two in full flight going into the back end of the season could be influential

Online KevinGage

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
I actually think he could do quite well there - initially.

Motivation and team spirit (for players in the team at least) seem to be the biggest things he brings to the table and there is a decent core of talented players there to work with, Reina, Stevie G Bag, Torres, Cole and to a certain extent Kuyt.

Agger, Carragher and Skirtel also formed the backbone of a pretty solid defence before, regularly having one of the best records in the country.

It's when he has to source a better standard of player to fill the gaps that he might struggle, but that would be further on down the track.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
I like what we are hearing so far about the extra training, no days off, GH spending more time in B6... The board took their time but from the first few games it looks like they got it right, forza Villa!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal