collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread  (Read 39380 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
Aye, waving to the crowd during a game is a little bit lax.  Oh well, he IS bigger than me and you. Some time since he scored 1 (or 2).

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »
I always become more calm when I hear Houllier talk after a game. For me he speaks a lot like Wenger in that he studies the game, and is always thinking of ways to tactically improve things. We are making progress a little bit at a time. I know he sees weaknesses based on the way he wants us to play, and will try and fix it in the next few windows. While Chelsea were mising key players, so were we, and we matched them all the way. I still have seen very little outside of the top 3 or 4 clubs to suggest that with a few additions in January and a bit of luck we won't be challenging for 5th or 6th spot come May.

It'll be lack of goals that does for us, I'm afraid.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I've been a fan of NRC since he came and glad he's improving again, if I'm at the game when he scores, I swear I'm on the pitch and giving him a kiss. Last season at West Ham he got loads of stick from hammers fans, he ran past 2/3 players and hit a shot just over the bar, as with tonights chance I've never wanted a player to score so much.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »
Downing, Heskey and Reo-Coker are all rejuvenated players under MR Houllier. I'm impressed at the improvement in all 3 players already.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
I always become more calm when I hear Houllier talk after a game. For me he speaks a lot like Wenger in that he studies the game, and is always thinking of ways to tactically improve things. We are making progress a little bit at a time. I know he sees weaknesses based on the way he wants us to play, and will try and fix it in the next few windows. While Chelsea were mising key players, so were we, and we matched them all the way. I still have seen very little outside of the top 3 or 4 clubs to suggest that with a few additions in January and a bit of luck we won't be challenging for 5th or 6th spot come May.

It'll be lack of goals that does for us, I'm afraid.

It might. Or Gabby returns and gives us the energy we need, or Houllier finds a gem in January. Long way to go, but I get the impression he's seeing what we see. It's all good and well creating chances, but our inability to be clinical is costing us.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »
Pretty happy with the outcome.  A point against the best team in the country by a mile is not to be sniffed at.  First half very good, second more battling. (Although Chelsea never dominated in the way thats bound to be portrayed.  Friedel didn't have much to do and we still had our chances)

Must admit i'm pissed of with the 6th to 12th comment.  8th place should be the absolute minimum, even if we are in transition.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:05 AM »
Isn't it the name for average grades in the American education system?

They always go on about 'GEDs of 4.8' or some lark on this American high school dramas.

Don't get the Petrov bashing. Though he was very good like Downing and Reo Coker.

You mean GPA - Grade point average, and the max is 4.0.

Offline pelty

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2010, 05:40:10 AM »

Our midfield worries me.

You are not alone in this. GH sees the issues here and views them as far more problematic than the striker position.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »
Interesting... thanks.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 06:37:58 AM »
Funny how we all see the game differently. I thought NRC had a blinder, Downing continues to improve
and a few players who never got a look in under MON are showing that they can play. People are expecting too much of Ireland, he needs time to settle in. Petrov meh, man of the match ridiculous, still too slow and when he starts to tire is when we get pinned back. We played the best team in the prem both with players missing and did well to get a point.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
Football really is a game of opinions isn't it? Some very different takes on the game. Here's my take.

Chelsea were pretty woeful in the first 20 minutes, while we started very well but missed our chances. We were never likely to get many more, but we did get a couple of great ones.

Carew can't play that lone frontman role. Ireland would be much better in that role if he had Heskey or Gabby up front to provide better movement and / or stretch the defence more.

Downing was very good again. I'm not sure we've had a better player this season. Wouldn't say that was his best game for us though. I thought he was outstanding at Stoke.

We do look a lot more competitive with NRC in midfield. I thought Petrov did well in certain respects but did look very slow.

Warnock was excellent. Ash was in and out but as ever still had a hand in many of our better moments.

I am struggling to see how we can get Ireland and Ashley playing in their best positions at the same time. I like Young in a free role.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
“We are getting there, I think we are getting nearer the 90 minutes, proof of that is Stiliyan Petrov who got man of the match, but the previous two games I took him off because I didn’t think he was finishing [matches] in the right way.

Interesting quote from Ged. It's stating the bleeding obvious, but at least he's stating it!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
When Reo Coker broke free at the end I knew he was going to find a way to fuck it up. You knew he was going to find a way to fuck it up. His team mates knew he was going to find a way to fuck it up and, most importantly, he knew he was going to find a way to fuck it up. He had a good game but things like that frustrate the hell out of me.

Overall plenty to be pleased with, we more than held our own against the best team we'll play this season.

We struggled to get Ireland in the game enough but the few times we did he showed he has plenty to offer. When he had that chance i was sure he was going to score, you were sure he was going to score, his team mates were sure he was going to score and, most importantly, he was sure he was going to score. Frustrated the hell out of me when he didn't. I agree with Matt above, I prefer Young in that free role but I get the impression it's the only place Ireland can play. One for Houllier to sort out.

Carew was a waste of space, Downing was great, the defence was solid.

Clarke played because he is left-sided.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »
Happy with the point and a much needed clean sheet.

Carew was a total waste of time, but there was little else with Heskey and Gabby out.

Every player bar Carew deserves praise.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
I thought it was a very good performance, and it looked like we were trying to play football which was nice.  A bit of luck here and there and we might have nicked it.  Agree with Chris about NRC, he had a good gem but when you need that little bit of composure he lacks it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal