collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 24998 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Midfield
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
I agree NRC isn't an out and out holding midfielder. His positional play and passing aren't good enough. I think in theory you can play him alongside a Petrov type player, but better to do so in a 4-2-3-1 so you maintain central attacking creativity.

The issue is that NRC, and on current from Petrov, aren't really good enough. Although we'd all like a new fwd, I think a really good centre midfielder is the priority. Flamini, Parker, Toulalan type player. Delph I see as the more up and down midfielder, taking NRC's place when he's ready

Offline Arsey

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »

As much as it would be great to spunk 20 mil on a new midfielder, lets not forget about Delph, Bananananaman and Gardner.  There isn't much point in the investment in the youth policy unless we give them a chance. 

Imagine if we'd wasted 10mil on McGeedy and then left Albrighton on the sidelines for another season.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »

As much as it would be great to spunk 20 mil on a new midfielder, lets not forget about Delph, Bananananaman and Gardner.  There isn't much point in the investment in the youth policy unless we give them a chance. 

Imagine if we'd wasted 10mil on McGeedy and then left Albrighton on the sidelines for another season.

I agree in principle but even considering the players you mention there is a berth for another "senior" midfielder.
You wouldn't ideally want all of those players in the same midfield at the moment.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
Besides, I wouldn't mention Bannan for the deep midfield role. He is an attacking midfield player - anything else, certainly at this stage, would be a bit mad.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Ireland will play at Spurs imo.

Both Stoke and Wolves were scraps that didn't suit his game but Spurs will be more technical so would expect him in there.

I would rest Albrighton as he fades in the second half, have him as an impact sub.

I would expect at Spurs it will be:

NRC          Petrov         Ireland

Downing           Heskey     Young

although personally I'd put Downing into a midfield three and have Ireland to the right of Heskey.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
I'd stick with what we played yesterday. Ash looks like he's growing into the second striker role and I don't think Ireland should be played in a deeper role where he would be at best down right ineffectual. Anything other than that leaves us too open.

Now, Stan is tiring and in poorer form but I think a lot of people are understating his contribution. Besides, if we were to drop him who would we replace him with? Our other midfield options are sub-standard to say the least (cf Sidwell and Osbourne) or unsuited to a deeper role (cf Ireland).

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
I agree on both points, Sandman. We have to pick on form as far as we can, and Ireland has not shown that he deserves to be in the side ahead of the three attacking midfielders. As for Stan, his form has dipped but nobody in his position has shown that they deserve to be ahead of him.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »
Ireland will play at Spurs imo.

Both Stoke and Wolves were scraps that didn't suit his game but Spurs will be more technical so would expect him in there.

I would rest Albrighton as he fades in the second half, have him as an impact sub.

I would expect at Spurs it will be:

NRC          Petrov         Ireland

Downing           Heskey     Young

although personally I'd put Downing into a midfield three and have Ireland to the right of Heskey.

Ireland should be first change if we bring off either Albrighton or Downing.

I'd be very surprised if he started v Tottenham.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »
Isn't the problem though that we give the ball away, generally, too cheaply and therefore have to work hard to get it back thus leading to the team tiring as the match progresses? Also, by playing two touchline hugging wingers we make the centre midfield area a Villa free zone far too often. The commentators yesterday pointed out the amount of space in central areas that we were giving up.

If GH and GM are concentrating on passing which seems an obvious thing to do then hopefully the higher degree of control that we should have in matches ought to prevent the fatigue that seems to afflict us.

Hopefully too, GM will dispense with the 2 winger formation against teams that could slaughter us through the middle. As much as I hate to say it, Man City did a superb job of stifling Chelsea on Saturday. Their defensive midfielders stuffing the centre stopped Chelsea from playing. I think that we should do the same even if it means playing Reo-Coker, maybe Petrov and Sidwell in there. If we concede the centre as we have done in the 2nd halves against Stoke, Bolton and Wolves then Chelsea'll take us to the cleaners.
well done you have demonstrated a tactical awareness that is so often lacking on here, we get over run so blame petrov despite the fact that he was probably told to sit deep, and how many times did downing give the ball away yesterday and put our midfield under pressure and you are right that i think we are the only team that play with 2 touch line hugging wingers. I am concerned that Petrov legs dont seem to be able to last 90 minutes but that is what subs are for, i think the problem yesterday was that NRC took time to get his second wind for 15 minutes after half time and Downing Petrov and Albrighton went missing defensively, this stuff will get sorted out

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
Ye agree with a bit of time available now think Mr H will work on a system for our mid-field. Would like to see Ireland in the mix. His technical game is superior to all our usual mid-fielders and with Ash and Heskey flying that type of pass is needed for them to work off ............

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
Ireland cant and probably wont be kept out of it too much longer. He is potentially, after Young, our best player. Certainly from a creative, ball playing standpoint.

As a tactical alternative we could play Ashley Young and Ireland in behind a striker with three central midfielders behind them. A christmas tree if you like. But that means dropping our wingers (Downing and Albrighton). As I say, a tactical alternative for when we want to play narrower and tighter.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
I think Ireland might have to accept being Ashley's deputy for now, I can't think where he could fit in otherwise, we can't sacrifice Downing and Albrighton, they've done very well up to now.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »
I'd still like to see us try a 4 of Albrighton, NRC, Ireland and Ash.

One issue I haven't seen mentioned is that playing Ash behind the striker negates having two of our front men on at the same time.  Wouldn't now be a good time to try a Heskey & Gabby duo, now that the former is in form?  Gabby is our best striker, so I think it's just as important to get him in the side as Ireland.

The player I think most of us would really like to drop is Downing, but he keeps scoring goals making that impossible right now.   

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
I think Ireland might have to accept being Ashley's deputy for now, I can't think where he could fit in otherwise, we can't sacrifice Downing and Albrighton, they've done very well up to now.

Yes, fair enough and I agree. But the good thing about getting a manager in who is willing to be tactically flexible and pick horses for courses is that we dont always line up the same way. Playing two wingers wont always be the best option. Sometimes playing narrower will be the better option. You still have Albrighton and Downing on the bench in order to change it at a moments notice. Besides, they cant play every game.

I suppose I'm also keen to get Ireland involved. If our new modus operandi is possession and passing football well then perhaps here's our finest exponent of it.
The only question mark is do we have the three central midfielders to exploit this formation.
You have Petrov and Reo Coker for certain and then Sidwell, maybe Bannan and maybe Collins as the other midfielder. It would be more effective when Delph is back and we have a chance to buy some players in January. In the meantime, what harm giving it a try now and then?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
I think it was under Gregory there was talk of having a 'big hitter' on the bench, which at that time was normally Collymore.  The principal being that there was an attacking player you'd be more than happy to start with in the subs so as to give genuine options to tactically and attackingly effect a game when necessary.  We've seen this in the last two games with Heskey and then Gabby coming on.

So maybe our thinking is flawed and it shouldn't be a case of trying to get Ash, Gabby and Ireland in the same side, but have one of them in reserve to bring on against tiring sides when needed?  Add Carew to that mix aswell.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal