collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 25005 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Midfield
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »
I don't think that actually all that much of an improvement from NRC - the stats have always showed up the 'he can't pass' theory!

In truth he's very capable of winning it and playing a short and simple ball.  It's when he tries to run forward with it and goes down blind alleys that the problems start!

I reckon the 89% are all about 5-10 yard passes and the other 11% everything else.

My problem with him has always been is that he thinks he's a different player to the one we see and so has lacked the sense to stick to what he is good at.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
So,

Albrighton - NRC - Ireland - Downing

Worth a try IMO!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
I don't think that actually all that much of an improvement from NRC - the stats have always showed up the 'he can't pass' theory!

In truth he's very capable of winning it and playing a short and simple ball.  It's when he tries to run forward with it and goes down blind alleys that the problems start!

I reckon the 89% are all about 5-10 yard passes and the other 11% everything else.

My problem with him has always been is that he thinks he's a different player to the one we see and so has lacked the sense to stick to what he is good at.

Out of interest........How do you know that he thinks he's a different player to the one we see?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

Martin converted him to a defensive midfielder from the player who bombed forward at West Ham.  But since then Petrov has been in that role, so we've seen him not playing to his strengths.  Hence the idea that dropping Petrov, which seems to be gaining support, would allow NRC to play in his best position and get Ireland in the team.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:19:14 PM by John M »

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
Out of interest........How do you know that he thinks he's a different player to the one we see?
Not going to go searching for quotes but I could swear I saw an interview with him from a few years ago where he was saying how he saw himself as an attacking midfielder

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »

From the way he plays and that he said in an inteview about 18 months ago that he was a box to box player.

I see his strength as breaking up the play and then giving the ball to a more creative team mate, he tries to be more than that and often ends up giving the ball to a more creative opposition player.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:21:14 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline KRS

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
So,

Albrighton - NRC - Ireland - Downing

Worth a try IMO!
We're too lightweight with the 3 "wingers" so I'd rather have Downing and Albrighton switching, and have them busting a gut whilst they are on the pitch. Same applies to Petrov and Sidwell, and the forwards. With Ireland on the pitch Ashley has to go out wide.

NRC - Petrov/Sidwell
Albrighton/Downing - Ireland - Young
Heskey/Gabby/Carew
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:39:22 PM by KRS »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Dropping out top scorer (in the league) doesn't seem that clever a move nor does moving Young after his performance yesterday. We do have a problem with how to accomodate Ireland but I think he'll just have to bide his time.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have clarified that my team was what I think is our strongest formation/team, not specifically for the match against spurs.  I think the likelihood of Downing being our top scorer after a decent number of games is pretty slim.

I still think it would work and crucially keeps Sidwell away from the XI whilst playing every player in a natural position.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:14:40 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »

From the way he plays and that he said in an inteview about 18 months ago that he was a box to box player.

I see his strength as breaking up the play and then giving the ball to a more creative team mate, he tries to be more than that and often ends up giving the ball to a more creative opposition player.

Got a link to the interview?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »

No, as I say it was a while ago but Ger above remembers it too.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
With NRC his positional play is important,as I think we need him making his passes between our box and the half-way line,breaking up play,passing to the full backs,wingers,and to Ash if he's central,he linked with Ash a couple of times yesterday. He's not good enough to make intricate passes on the oppostions box,he had a good break yesterday and kind of balls it up,eventually that well be Ireland's job.

But for his engine,determanation,tackling,and he's a bit of a leader as well,he should be in the team,and hopefully gets a new contract if he continues in the team.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »

Probably this one.

"Makelele with legs" is O'Neill's description of Reo-Coker but the player would like to use those pins more. "I look at myself as a box-to-box player," he said. "I am full of energy, I want to be let loose. To have the freedom to go where I want to go."

If he does though, he hears a bark from the touchline, sees a whirling dervish in a black tracksuit, and swiftly retreats. "I know I have more to offer Villa, but the manager picks the team and that's what he wants.

"It is a very disciplined role and you need a good structure. It suits a five-man midfield, the way Chelsea or Barcelona play it. We are playing it in a 4-4-2 which is very difficult. I think it is impossible. You are still going to give time on the ball to your opposing midfielder and if you do that international midfielders will hurt you."

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

I'd agree with that Chris, though I have never seen him as the out-and-out DM that many see him as, playing the Makelele roll and all that jazz. It seems to be a common leap nowadays, midfielder likes to tackle = play him deep or in a defensive role. Which is why some are advocating Delph in that role eventually. That I definitely don't see. I prefer to take the view that if even your flair players like Ash and Delph like to get stuck in, you're going to be hard to beat. No passengers in that kind of side.

Onto NRC: He likes a tackle, likes to get stuck in but doesn't have the discipline or composure to sit deep. Whilst his passing has been showing definite signs of improvement (and was probably never as bad as it was made out to be) he still has a tendency to get caught in possession or miss time a pass. It's just not his natural game. Further on up the field this isn't so bad, but as the last line before the defence this can be game changing.

I reckon we'd see the absolute best of him on the right side of a central three, with instructions to break up play and also cover the right winger (usually Albrighton now) or even RB if they're bombing forward.

NRC himself can also bomb forward at pace, which is rare for someone primarily in the side to break up play. He doesn't always make the most of it, but -with the protection of a central three and up to two other CM's covering- he should be encouraged to bomb forward more. Anyone running at pace at a backline can create gaps, as we seen yesterday.  If Ash, Heskey or whoever understand that he's not the greatest with the ball at his feet and learn to provide better support when he takes off on these charges it can still be an effective weapon.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:42:13 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
Petrov / NRC / Ireland as a midfield three, with Young, Allbrighton and Heskey (or GA) ahead. 4-5-1 without the ball; 4-3-3 in possession.
End of.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to Delph being back and Sidwell leaving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal