collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Monty
[Today at 11:50:09 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:49:39 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Champions League Contention by Astnor
[Today at 11:38:10 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Robin Olsen by London Villan
[Today at 11:32:24 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Current media comments towards us  (Read 36576 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Current media comments towards us
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
Things are stable at Arse, Man U and Chelsea. Liverpool are irrelevant

The press have to have something to write about and Villa are an easy target

Offline sfx412

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
It was a not overly complimentary article from a bloke who writes not overly complimentary articles. Its fairly accurate, and mirrors many on this site.
Will Villa be gaining or losing any extra points from it, no. Will Villa be ruined because of it no, and no other media story will affect the club either, in the long run.
Villa can do several things to shut them all up, win the PL several times on the trot, stop selling our best players, and bringing in quality players to achieve that. Until then we remain a club who flits between 6th and 11th, who can't live up to their fans expectations and their new owners promises.
It was the same in the late 70's and early 80's when we did so I'm not expecting much change now.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
Just read that article, who cares what some yam yam writes about us. The thing that people need to remember when reading this rubbish, it is just one persons opinion. If a bloke in the pub said the same, it would be quickly dismissed, and you would move on to another subject, because some journo writes it we should take it seriously?
It is like Michael O Leary of Ryanair, he just comes out with shit so people are talking about his airline, we are now reading the local yam yam papers web site, really, who cares.
What did they used to say, todays newspapers are tomorrows chip papers

Swain is not a Yam Yam, but lets not worry about the chip on your shoulder shall we.

His opinions regarding the Villa are well known in these parts as being by-and-large on the money. Unlike some of the crap comes out of the Birmingham and indeed the Nationals. He's always been favourable on the Villa and the E&S do the Villa a great service in their Sports Sections and a lot of Villa Fans this way will always gravitate towards that paper rather than the crap from Brum.

His article above, is pretty much bang on. If in your opinion it's not, well pray tell what you disagree with

Offline peter w

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
Didn't Swain used to write for the Argus back 'in the day'?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
My drive to work each morning is accompanied by fat twat Brazil and co - most mornings he has a guy who writes sport for the Daily Mirror (i know i know what most will say before i say it - dont listen to the shit)

Dont know the guys name but he is an obvious MON disciple as when he left - it was the Americans fault as we have no money, When it broke that we had a 5 trophy winning manager in Houllier he said it was a joke and Villa had the perfect manager for their size (GRRRRRR) in Curbishley and it showed naivity by the board to over look him (yes like all the other boards that have for 2 years - cock)

Today his term for us was shambolic, embarrassing and bordering on pathetic the way the club is being run.

They then went on to have a wank about Chelski / Arsenal and how great it would be to have another famous London club like QPR in the top flight.
Again my point is that these morons in the press feed the annoying kind of football fan with what they consider as being facts - so i get the Man United fan of all of 10 years and the new Man City fan tell me how shit and small time my team are

I just want to twat them

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »
The red tops,sky,talksport all sing from the same hymn sheet,lazy journalism,making a story out of nothing.
  On monday i heard a french journo on the guardian podcast,say before the news broke, that Houllier would take over after saturdays game,this is the same day that other reports stated that he may have to continue working one or two days a week in France.

I think we as fans have to take blame as well,as we latch onto these horsehit stories and go into overdrive as we post on here and other sites.Myself included have posted about the upcoming arrivals of Mcgeady,Bradley,Curbishley,etc. Sometimes we should give the club a bit more credit,and ignore these bullshit reports,but i suppose thats all part of football,in the internet age.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
That article by Martin Swain is well written and in my opinion, bang on the money.  Lerner hasn't done much wrong since he arrived, but I think the last few months have been a shambles.  Of course we'll recover from it, but we don't have to pretend that what has been pretty farcical has been well handled do we?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
From that Swain artivcle:

The first (error) was to put too much power into the hands of the man the Americans liked to call “coach O’Neill” when they made their entry into Villa Park and English football in 2006.

There's an article in the next fanzine saying just that *wink*

As for the rest of the Swain piece, I think he's bang on the money (unfortunately)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:25:49 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

"With delicious gallows humour typical at times of discontent, one wit has already remarked he will only attend if he is promised a signed shirt from the new manager."

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2010/09/15/why-villa-really-need-to-get-a-grip/#ixzz0zh7qAxgi

Gallows humour eh? and here`s me thinking I was just a sarcastic, sardonic,cynical clearing in the woods  :o

Surprised the journo didn`t pick up on my location and add that the post was from a "witty scouser"

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »
"clearing in the woods"?

VT Fail.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
The Swain article is pretty fair I think. I'm not concerned at all with our long term prospects as I think the new manager will be fine. It still remains all about cash though to me. Big bullying players will retain a PL place and maybe get you half way up the league but its the £10million a man squads that get into the top 4 with a couple of £20 million game changers thrown in.

Randy can mess the kit delivery up ( thanks, thats  few hundred quid I've saved by not buying 4 kits for the kids and a shirt for me ) and charge the man next to me a tenner while I paid £30 odd in advance in May it makes no odds really to me (I like where I sit) but its in Jan where we'll see his true intentions when he gets his dosh out. If he doesn't then we'll know his intentions and maybe MON was right: the money has run out.

Randy lack of footy knowledge is not crucial or who he appoints as a manager really as anyone he appoints will be qualified to coach. Its the size of his wallet that counts.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
There is nothing in the article that most of us hav'nt been saying for a long time, he wasn't knocking Aston Villa as a club, he was critical of the way the club is and has been run. Having a boardroom with no experience of premirship football was amateurish, and putting Faulkner into a position of which he has zero experience smacks of who they like not who is best for the position. I hope Randy learns from this and gets more people that know the game involved and not leave everything to Houllier, oh and replace Faulkner.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
I think some are being a bit over sensitive, its a good article.
I think the club are in a bit of a shambles for all the reasons he points to. People tend to under estimate the importance of leadership. We are crying out for some on the footballing side of The Villa.

Offline pelty

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
Problem is, as is usual with the press, he has it wrong on the KMac situation; KMac was not pushed into anything. Swain does not know what went on behind the scenes anymore than any other journalist in  the country nor does he understand the intricacies and difficulties of identifying and finding a manager when your previous one leaves five days before the opening of the season. As per usual on these sites, sadly, if it is written in black and white, it must be true.

And ROBBO, based on what evidence would you replace Faulkner. What has he done to deserve the sack? Give specific examples, please.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
Give specific examples, please

It aint an A'level exam.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal