collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we ever had a less inspiring captain  (Read 18982 times)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: Have we ever had a less inspiring captain
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
I thought James Collins looked captain material tonight. Very  vocal etc.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
What about Ashley Young?  At least he gets pissed off on the pitch.  Ireland could be the "dark horse".  Maybe Michael Owen in January?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
He has been mostly shit since he came to the Villa.  But he seems to have his fan club. Fuck knows why.   He would be one for the get rid list asap.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
I thought James Collins looked captain material tonight. Very  vocal etc.

He was shite as well.

Good player and not morbidly obese so I can forgive him.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
Can't wait to read Petrov's usual bollocks after we are defeated by an atrocious team. "We must bound back". Aye, fuck off.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
Oh well here goes........i like Petrov, he's the modern day equivalent of Des Bremner.......never going to be the most skillful or liked, but work rate, making it difficult for the opposing midfield in harrassing and chasing etc, cannot be faulted. Smashing bloke to have around the club and a nice guy off the pitch also. The guy that made him captain doesnt work for us now so you can hardly blame Petrov he is still in that position. If GH brings in new blood or has different plans for midfield i would not be adverse to them but get off Petrov's back for what he is putting in

Takes cover (whispering this is a bloody forum and i'm entitled to my opinion)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:02:03 PM by Dazvillain »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
Never thought i'd hear the words Petrov and Des Bremner in the same sentence. Unless it included the words, not fit to lace the boots of.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:12 PM »
Good player.

He was unlucky tonight that the ref bought that dive from Pennant.

I am worried that his impact in the middle of the park is starting to diminish though.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
Oh well here goes........i like Petrov, he's the modern day equivalent of Des Bremner.......never going to be the most skillful or liked, but work rate, making it difficult for the opposing midfield in harrassing and chasing etc, cannot be faulted. Smashing bloke to have around the club and a nice guy off the pitch also. The guy that made him captain doesnt work for us now so you can hardly blame Petrov he is still in that position. If GH brings in new blood or has different plans for midfield i would not be adverse to them but get off Petrov's back for what he is putting in

Takes cover (whispering this is a bloody forum and i'm entitled to my opinion)

I think he does work as hard as he can Daz, that's not my problem with him, he's just so bleedin' slow he never gets there. It's not a lack of workrate I object to, it's a lack of success...very unlike Des Bremner in that regard.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
I think the criticism of Petrov is over the top...he showed as much desire as anyone out there.

Besides we dont know for sure what kind of character he is in the dressing room.

The importance of who wears an armband is overstated. If youre a leader, youre a leader...doesnt matter if you have an armband on.

There are many many more problems which need addressing...firstly that Stoke City have a bench that I am green with envy of!

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
The manager situation is unsettling, after voicing their opinions on Gerard, how can Friedal and Warnock focus on playing. Our problems at the moment run deeper than that of who is captain.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Friedal as captain? keepers as captain was a big thing some years back

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
The captain is supposed to show more desire than the rest of the time. He is supposed to show those players around him that he is hungry for it. Petrov looks neither of these. He is not a charismatic figure. He isn't a captain you'd fight to the death for.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »
Besides we dont know for sure what kind of character he is in the dressing room.

The importance of who wears an armband is overstated. If youre a leader, youre a leader...doesnt matter if you have an armband on.

Character and leadership skills are important, but sadly irrelevant if you're not up to the standard of the team.

Offline black pearl of inchicore

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »
 Any chance of Petrov RETIRING from the premiership.......he'd be better off employed handing out communion for the POPE on sunday.
What a hopeless performance at leadership on a football pitch...no desire,no heart,no fight for the cause...bet he has no problem collecting the dosh..i say he's first up for the chicken's neck every week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal