Heroes & Villains > Villa Memories

Robert Hopkins

(1/6) > >>

garyshawsknee:
Apologies if this has been covered before,but as i'm not from the Birmingham area,and was only very young in the early 80s I need something clearing up for me.

I'm currently reading the Danny Baker and Danny Kelly book,and there's a part about hard teams,and it has a piece about the mid 80s Blues team.

Quoted from the book.. '' Winger Hopkins-though a hardcore Birmingham fan-found himself playing for the Blues' hated local rivals Aston Villa.
                                          In his last game for the club he wore a Birmingham badge over the Villa crest on his shirt.When he went to take a
                                          corner in front of the Villa fans,they noticed this piece of sacrilege and began,unsuprisingly,climbing the fences that
                                          in those days girded the playing area,clawing desperately at the winger and howling for his blood.Hopkins laughed
                                          at them,flicked them a V-sign,deliberately booted the ball out for a goal kick and ran off. ''

Now,as I never really saw him play,I had the image of him as a rodent like weasel,not a hard man. Was anyone at the game? Is this true ?

Legion:
The part about wearing the badge over the crest is correct. The reaction of the crowd and his subsequent actions I am not sure about.

Legion:
Yes, he used to wear a Small Heath Alliance shirt underneath his cleaner, more respectable Villa kit. Yes, he did play for our first team.

Legion:
Wow! Fast editing!!

garyshawsknee:
Ta,when was this,just after European Cup years ? I can see why his name is mentioned in the same breathe as Hodge!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version