collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 53608 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 05:59:58 PM »
What a relief, good character shown. Collins was immense. KMac shouldn't have the job though.
Agreed. Collins was absolutely superb. Credit to Young (both) and Warnock who ran Collins close for MOTM.
Best thing about today, apart from the 3 points, is we remembered how to battle. Everton are a very good side just lacking a top striker and they made us work for everything.

Well done lads, you've restored the pride.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
Great win. Almost felt like one of those last day, relegation avoiding wins, to be honest. We're still in a whole heap of shit. We still don't like right at all. Very hard work, almost to the point like I say, we looked a low end team scraping out a result against one of the big boys.

For me the positives today were the back line. Much more solid. Good to see Dunney with Collins, and two proper fullbacks. Luke Young was superb today.

Nigel was very good. Okay, come the final 3rd of the pitch, he's useless, but he did so much running, broke up so much play. To be honest, had he not played today, we'd have been like the red sea in the middle.

Albrighton once again played well. He's only young, so he'll make errors. But he's bright, confident, and always willing to take defenders on. If we do end up selling Ash Young, I'm glad we've got Albrighton in the wings.

Negatives for me are Stan's tiring legs. He needs more help. We need a decent system and the right players, to get the best of him. But that means replacing Milners workrate and ability. Which we've yet to do. I like Ireland, but he should be more advanced.
Warnock is still a worry.
Downing is still a worry.
Ash still looks a shadow of his former self. In all honesty, if Spurs offer us a couple of players and some cash, I'd take that. Maybe Keane and Bentley, plus a wedge? My major worry about Ashley is his headspace. Has he got one foot out the door already? Definitely doesn't look right. But then again, his form last season was patchy to say the least.

Striking options. We need one more, or we'll struggle. Gabby is key, though needs to lose weight. Carew should be a luxury player from the bench, and is inconsistent. Emile...well. Fonzie? Not sure he's ready.

Is Kmac the right man? No.

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
Sky have given MOTM to L Young

Offline Arsey

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »
who did $ky give MotM to?

Offline TeamOrange

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »
While we didn't play great, we still got the win and that is all that matter. My MotM is Big Brad, 17 or 18 corners and still had a clean sheet, some spectacular saves. Overall good performance, Kmac not for me but wouldn't be the end if he was the manager; this match showed he is learning.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »
Could have lost that 4-1 and not have cause to complain.
But we won, and we needed that, hopefully the confidence will come back and we can push on from here.

A few points from the comfort of my dodgy feed:

The defence and Friedel were superb, they had to be as our midfield was over-run and very sloppy in their passing.

Collins was immense and MOTM for me.

Albrighton doesn't look quite as good when he's up against a decent full-back does he?

Downing is shit.

We need a striker.

Offline Arsey

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
Sky have given MOTM to L Young

played well, great goal.  Collins for me though.

The fact they call him Kev says a lot.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
I'm actually shaking it was that nerve wracking!!
33% possession?????
Collins was amazing! Luke you played great. Fantastic goal, tracked Cahill all game. Ran his heart out. NRC broke play up. Great solid performance. If
That guy could pass he'd be deadly. Petrov was ok. There was a lot of frustration in his game today.
Freidel Showed that he may be an old timer but still got it!! Fantastic game with crucial saves.
Downing was worrying. Very quiet, carew was ok but he still need to do more for me.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
The defence were fantastic, Downing what is the point of this bloke, we are playing with 10 men with him on the pitch.

Offline achilles

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
Just proves that Kmac isn't for the job, without Ireland's injury he wouldn't have picked NRC and we would have lost that game.

Full marks to the defence, they were awesome!

Downing, just never want to see him on the pitch, great ability (somewhere) but what a pansy!

Offline PhilGibson

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
The team showed a lot of heart and fighting spirit which was just what the doctor ordered after the week we have just been through.

Friedel - Absolutely superb kept us in at time and is a very assured presence when he has Collins and Dunne on that form.
Luke Young - Plaudits great goal and some tremendous blocks epitomised the never say die attitude.
Warnock - A few ropey moments but played his part in a great defensive performance.
Dunne - Very solid and coming on the back of his performance last week very pleased.
Collins - Ginge was rock solid through himself at everything and probably up there with Friedel for MOTM.

Albrighton - Will have learnt a lot from todays game never gave up, made some good runs and was much better in the 2nd half defensively.
Petrov - Typical Petrov performance industrious at times, but largely contributed to us playing like the away side by giving the ball away.
Reo Coker- All action performance chased lost causes fought for the ball, made some very dodgy passes, great enging typical Nigel really.
Downing - Where do I start, the amount of times he lost the ball was unreal, very average and needs to step us his game.

Ashley Young - Good in parts when he had the ball but did not have loads of support with Carew being pretty useless up front.
Carew - So very frustrating, did some good things almost created a couple of goals, but by god is he annoying to watch.

Pleased with the win but on another day they would have beaten us.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »
what a relief.

some strong defending today and a good team effort.

lovely goal.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »
Woo hoo ! 3 points ! Happy days !  ;D

Offline Hammer

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Great win in a great game, as much as we were battered for long spells. Good character to win that considering the week we've had. Friedel, Collins, L Young and Albrighton outstanding. Reo-Coker was very good too.

We're neither as good as the West Ham game suggested, nor as bad as the Newcastle game did. We're somewhere in between and we'll do OK this season. But still far from convinced Kevin McDonald should get the job though.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
Very good game.

On another day we could easily have lost it, but Everton can't feel particularly hard done by. We just defended a little bit better than they did.

Everton play very nice football when they aren't being cheating twats.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal