collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rapid Vienna 1 - 1 Aston Villa - Post Match Thread  (Read 38457 times)

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
Re: Rapid Vienna 1 - 1 Aston Villa - Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Hogg did everything that would be asked of him, he won the ball and played it simple and at the end ran the ball out of defence and one a valuable free-kick. The fact most people didn't notice him, well he was positioned well throughout the game and won the ball when required, he played like Hargreaves use to just sit win the ball and play it. And I think the criticism is uncalled for personally.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
Guzan - He was fairly good I thought. Didn't make any clangers

Lichaj - I thought he played well. Didn't see him do much wrong.
Beye - A bit dodgy at times but he was playing in a less favoured position.
Davies - Abysmal.
Warnock - The more I watch him the less impressed I get.

Albrighton - Brilliant as ever. My MOTM. He is a really exciting player to watch.
Hogg - Fairly unnoticeable but he did nothing wrong. Pass marks.
Reo-Coker - Good at times. Later on his passing was as bad as ever mind.
Downing - The lad did okay. Nothing special mind. Some people on here just seem to be waiting for him to fail.
Bannan - Another guy who did well for me. Albrighton's nearest rival from MOTM.

Heskey - No surprises. He played like he always plays he did well enough in the Heskey role but the Heskey role is not something we need.

Kevin Mac - He made a gutsy and bold selection and well, the result was decent enough so his decision worked. With our injuries and the need to rest one or two players ahead of the match against Newcastle it was good management of his resources.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
I still say choosing that side on top of previous sides put out by Mon in the same competition really asks do we want to play in it in the first place.
Seems to me especially from Km's after match comments he used it as an evaluation exercise on the kids.
Man City and Liverpool's team picks looked like they took it more seriously.
Maybe they just have bigger and better squads

There's no maybe about it, which isn't surprising when you take into account they've spent 3 times more on their squads.

Liverpool made 7 changes from their starting line-up at the weekend and Cole only played because he's banned for the next 3 PL games.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
If you travel to European games you'll probably agree that the game is only part of the experience. Socially, the trip was a huge success. 4 regulars from H&V (DC5, villajk, fasth56 and I) found a couple of very nice beergardens for the pre- and post-match sessions and spent most of the evening with Stefano (Archie) and Silvano from the Latin Lions: a real pleasure.
The match was certainly better than last year's display in Vienna. I think the gamble of playing such an inexperienced team just about paid off. Bannan, Lichaj and Hogg can only benefit from playing against tough opponents in front of a very partisan crowd and it was useful for players like Beye and Davies to get in a full 90 minutes. I was impressed by Guzan and also Davies. We didn't get a good view of our defence at the far end in the first half (we were watching the match through a huge safety net) and it may well be that Davies was partly at fault for their goal, but I thought he defended effectively in the second half. NRC led the side well and was strong in defence, but going forward the final pass too often misses the target. After an excellent start, Albrighton was less impressive than against West Ham, with his first touch letting him down, but he still looks a very promising player for this season. Heskey, apart from releasing Albrighton for the pass which produced the goal, was very poor. Perhaps Ashley and Gabby read him better than last night's players, but his flicks and lay-offs were mostly unproductive.
The Rapid fans disappointed me this time. Their booing and jeering whenever Guzan took a goal kick contributed to the referee booking him (unjustly) for time-wasting and they did their best to pressure him into giving a penalty against Guzan in the second half. The coin-throwing incident was a disgrace, as was the reaction to Weimann's injury. His family were there, and it must have been very upsetting for them.
I was very glad I went. Vienna's a great city, the weather was lovely, the company was excellent and Villa's developing team shows much promise for the future.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
You bugger Frank.

I spent two days stuck solidly in meetings and exams in London, got soaked legging it from New Street to Poppy Red for a game I had to watch with no sound!

Offline davevillan

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
I still say choosing that side on top of previous sides put out by Mon in the same competition really asks do we want to play in it in the first place.
Seems to me especially from Km's after match comments he used it as an evaluation exercise on the kids.
Man City and Liverpool's team picks looked like they took it more seriously.
Maybe they just have bigger and better squads
He explained his reasons on tv before. It was to do with players being injured/suspended, and having travelled the previous mid-week on international duty. Also with one eye on the Barcodes game on Sunday. Look at the starting line up, there was plenty of 1st team experience out there. He picked a team he felt would get a result against that side, and he was proved correct.
Its a pity the media chose to ignore his reasoning and used the Moscow episode to criticise the selection.
No doubt he will pick a stronger team next week, hopefully get the tie won in the first half, then make the subs in the 2nd to rest some.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
agreed
i thought their fans at the tie vs them last season were impressive in their vocal support etc

but they really 'blotted their copy book' to put it mildly last night

we did well with such a makeshift side
everyone had a good idea what to do going forwards with the ball(runs off it etc)
but we sorely lacked leadership at the back and were fairly pants(organisationally)
so we got away with it and should  progress in the home leg

I hope the viennese behave them selves in Brum or they may get a slap ;)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2010, 02:11:04 AM »
I’ve only been back about 2 hours from the trip and I have to say it was one of the best European trips of the recent games. Absolutely top draw couple of days out there.

The Rapid fans were generally sound as you like in the pubs and bars before the game, they kept buying us rounds of drinks left right and centre. They do like to give it the big one inside the ground mind, but then you can afford to be brave when there are two 6 foot high metal fences keeping you separated. The wankers were throwing things into our end after the final whistle, having lobbed stuff at our players, as you’d know. Nice to see the English ladies team join us too, even though one was outed as a Nose.

The game was alright to be fair and I thought we did ok. Albrighton good in patches, as was wee Barry. NRC was man of the match for me and I managed to shake his hand and give him some words of encouragement, thanks to the local plod locking us in after the game. Nigel’s a top bloke, a great salute to the racist twats at the end. Guzan was another class act. I also informed as many Villa players as possible to smash those Jawdee tossers on Sunday, which they appreciated. Warnock and Fridel seemed to like the idea.

Vienna wasn’t prepared for the quality of dance moves on show from our lot in the 80’s club after the game. Spell binding manoeuvres on the dance floor that John Travolta would have been proud of.

Scott Arms Villa, looking mean with the pina coladas!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal