collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 07:43:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner attacks Manchester City - Interview from today  (Read 29136 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Randy Lerner attacks Manchester City - Interview from today
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
What I found most annoying about it was the refusal to acknowledge the possibility that Martin might actually have done a few things wrong.  Only John Richardson so much as hinted that leaving us in the lurch might have been a little bit off. 

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
They also said that what Randy is wants in our next manager is a 'yes man'.

I did agree with them in the respect that they said our ambitions have gone down.  The club would never admit to that of course but given that breaking the top four is now harder than it was two years ago, and given that it's clear we won't be spending in the same way that we were two years ago, it's difficult to see how we're intending to catch and overtake Spurs and Man City.

It's easy to state that the club's ambitions remain the same as they have always been, but how serious are we about doing everything we possibly can to achieve them?

The thing is we have a very good squad of players. it was just very underused. The only thing Spurs have better then us are their strikers. Yesterday was probably just a one off against poor opposition but more performances like that at home would have clinched us 4th last year. I suppose it depends who becomes our manager and what happens in the next few weeks in the transfer market but if the players can now express themselves more we could still be thereabouts come the end of the season.

Don't forget that Spurs have a European campaign they have to look out for with almost the same players at the moment which will add to the pressure on them now.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
It really does defy belief that these ill informed morons are "professional"  "journalists".  They seem to think O'Neill is Clough mk II, yet he's almost 60 and has hardly set the managerial world on fire.  Sure he shares some of Cloughie's  qualities - cantankerousness, egotism, arrogance and the ability to fall out with anyone on a whim - but he's nowhere near as good a football manager, as his record shows.

I think the fact that many journos still refer to O'Neill as a Law graduate shows just how ill informed, badly researched and downright lazy much of their guff is.    Oliver Holt is saying we will still regret losing O'Neill and won't finish anywhere near 6th.  How can he say that before he even nows who we will get in? Grade A twat.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
That really annoyed me more than I should have let it. I cant stand Oliver Holt and his shitty rag of a paper at the best of times but this morning I wanted to reach through the screen and snap his fucking neck. How can these morons earn money for this drivel? General Krulak isnt an irrelevance you scrawny ugly little twat, you are.
You're not even capable at what you do, never mind reaching the very top.

I was fond of MON although his conduct this summer and things coming to light have made me re-evaluate that, but what I have heard from those imbeciles this morning beggars belief. To insult us to such a level with this garbage, as if we've never acheived a thing or ever will without Martin O'Neill. Absolute bollocks.
I am never watching this shite again and I'm considering whether to cancel my Sky subscription completely. I've had it up to my morks with them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:48:30 AM by Mazrim »

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
Richardson also trotted out the line that O'Neill has the touch of Clough about him, citing Clough as a manager who upset players but won trophies, without mentioning the fact that O'Neill won nothing for us.

And there lies MON's downfall....Cloughie himself if he had still been around and managing at his pomp wouldnt have been able to control todays all powerfull footballers and mega rich chairman.

Far to set in their ways and far too principaled for todays game ..... looking at the bigger picture you have to give Suralex massive credit for acheiving what he has with United year after year after year, reinventing himself and his teams football over and over again.

Cloughie and MON could not acheive this.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
Don't forget that Spurs have a European campaign they have to look out for with almost the same players at the moment which will add to the pressure on them now.
We're in Europe too, we haven't added anyone yet and are about to lose our Player of the Season.  Spurs are better placed than we are.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
Awww, they sound a bit upset don't they? They're still probably a bit worried after watching their team of 'superstars' kept in the game by Joe Hart yesterday.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
We're in Europe too, we haven't added anyone yet and are about to lose our Player of the Season.  Spurs are better placed than we are.

Agreed, they're also in a position to sign players in this window as it stands we are not.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »

And from all reports when we lose Milner we might gain Ireland who could be good for us (or not) plus £18mil. It is possible we have now gained a squad of players again.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »

And from all reports when we lose Milner we might gain Ireland who could be good for us (or not) plus £18mil. It is possible we have now gained a squad of players again.

I still can't forget that a week ago we needed to trim the wage budget and we had a squad that struggles to score goals. Has anything changed?

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
sunday suppliment this morning summed up the ill informed, agenda filled media cretin in this country....

disgraceful that they get paid to come up with such bollocks views...

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
A few people asked in midweek if the wage turnover would be an issue if the players on the bench might have a part to play. We will see in the next few weeks won't we.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
A few people asked in midweek if the wage turnover would be an issue if the players on the bench might have a part to play. We will see in the next few weeks won't we.

It's a double edged sword. If you start using the squad more, the more comfortable they get with playing, the better your team is likely to play as they're playing with confidence and togetherness and collectively they aren't as shagged out, and the more success you will get which will drive up gates and get you more exposure on television etc. You're also likely to become attractive to potential signings and sponsors (this won't happen in a week, you understand).

On the other hand, a more-used squad, whether they're successful or not, brings with it a whole raft of bonuses, clauses and dickhead agents that want paying. So you lose out there financially. Plus then if they are a success (just look at someone like Bale at Spuds), to keep them you have to whack up their weekly wage, or bring in someone else, which starts the whole process again, not to mention signing on clauses etc.

On balance you'd go for the former - better to be successful etc, but it's a minute balance. Look at the way Pompey went about it. Not that I'm suggesting we could be the next Pompey. Although we could.

Online Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
Pat Murphy (who I usually respect) was acting like MON's official spokesman on Radio 5 yesterday.  As well as being a big pal of O'Neill, he also gave an airing to his grievance that Randy Lerner won't speak to him.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
I still can't forget that a week ago we needed to trim the wage budget and we had a squad that struggles to score goals. Has anything changed?

Miss the West Ham game did you, Chris? We scored 3 and it was a very bad day in front of goal!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal