collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 03:04:58 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:43 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:01:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Most disappointing opening match of the season?  (Read 9466 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Most disappointing opening match of the season?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 07:25:33 PM »
At the start of '85-86 I thought we would struggle. A 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford proved me right.

I'd forgotten all about that.  Mind you, I did spent that particular afternoon being broiled at Edgbaston whilst watching Tim Robinson and David Gower put Australia's bowlers to the sword.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
Quote from: Pete3206
The season opener after we won the European Cup

Villa 1 Sunderland 3

Agreed and I'd add the season opener 1981/82 lost 1-0 at home to newly promoted Notts County.

Both of them were horror shows - I remember David Geddis getting pelters from the Holte and him turning to berate fans, all on his home debut v Notts County. And the following year we seemed to be stuck in treacle against a very average Sunderland, for whom Ally McCoist scored at least one. However, top marks to Sunderland fans for their standing ovation to the Villa youth team who paraded the European Cup before kick off. Rotterdam felt a long way away by full time.

Is that the same David Geddis we signed two years earlier?

One and the same - dunno what made me say it was his debut v Notts County when I actually saw his debut against Arsenal a couple of years earlier, in the middle of that awful period when we couldn't score a goal for love, money or sexual favours. We went 4-5 games without scoring which gave rise to the "Villa score, Villa score, once you get one you'll get more" chant.

I can't remember why Geddis was taking such stick from the Holte in the Notts County game in 1981. Maybe he just had a mare - along with the rest of the team it must be said.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
1997 away at Leicester without a doubt.  Aged 11, I was so extatic we'd signed Stan The Man I was convinced all pre-season we were going to win the league at a canter!

After coming back from Newcastle away four games in, I remember coming back, lying on my bed and sobbing my heart out!

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
At the start of '85-86 I thought we would struggle. A 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford proved me right.

I'd forgotten all about that.  Mind you, I did spent that particular afternoon being broiled at Edgbaston whilst watching Tim Robinson and David Gower put Australia's bowlers to the sword.

I remember that day well.

Went on an official coach and got dropped off about 2 miles from OT (i rember walking past OT cricket ground) and running the gauntlet of Manure cocks.

We played okay til half time when it was 0-0 then collapsed. It was Andy Gray's first game back for us IIRC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal