collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Downing 'blasts' Capello  (Read 9441 times)

Offline stevenjos

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
Quote from: "PeterWithe"
This 'attack' on Capello is about as strong as one of his tackles.

you've seen one? do you have video footage??  =P~

Offline Bungle

• http://www.loftys-stores.co.uk
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
From talkiing to cricket journos I have a vague understanding of the process.

The player is interviewed by the journo, who then writes the article.  Then (this is where the wheels fall off). The article is passed to sub-editors, who quite often have no interest or understanding of the subject.  They look through the article and try to find something juicy. Very often the headline has nothing at all to do with the actual content of the story.

Many years ago Birminghan Speed way had a match against Coventry.  The Mercury had an headline, which suggested that the Brummies had lost very heavilly.  However the score in the match was 40-38 (the smalllest loss possible in speedway)

The problem with these types of articles is that the player and the journo get flack for it.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »
His blast whilst more like a plastic cup being trod on than a landmine is pretty on the money. It's like what much of us have said about the World Cup squad. That said as others have said I don't quite think he should have been in the squad. Mind the way Lennon and Wright-Phillips played I might well have been wrong.

What he says about the Milner transfer is also fairly accurate but I don't think a player should come out and say these things.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
If Downing really doesn't know why he didn't go to the World Cup, I'll tell him. After being unexpectedly picked in the England squad in March, he immediately had a chance on a big stage (The Carling Cup Final at Wembley), in front of the watching Capello to show what he was made of. Instead, as I remember, he was invisible. He blew his big opportunity. No phone call was necessary Stew. You just didn't deserve to go to South Africa ahead of others in your position, ie Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Milner and Cole.

Offline Ross

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
Stuart, if we could get the money back we wasted on you "that would be a great bit of business".

Worry about being good enough to play for your club first mate.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »
To be fair to him, I'd be a bit miffed if Wright-Phillips went to the World Cup instead of me. He's absolutely gash.

Offline eastie

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »
Quote from: "phantom limb"
To be fair to him, I'd be a bit miffed if Wright-Phillips went to the World Cup instead of me. He's absolutely gash.
Still better than downing was for us from march onwards though!

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:43 PM »
Quote from: "east19"
Quote from: "phantom limb"
Still better than downing was for us from march onwards though!
Did he actually do anything other than score against us and whine about wanting a new contract last season? At least Downing had an excuse for not being 100%...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal