collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175766 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #705 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
Have you not got an arm sleeve to keep it in so you don't get distracted? Alternatively buy a decent running watch with GPS and ability to play music and some bluetooth ear pods? I swapped to this about 2 months ago and whilst I have the ability to listen to music Ive stopped and am just alone with my thoughts or when my watch bleeps at me to run faster!!!

I run to the end of our lane that goes out of our village, and back again, as it's pretty much exactly 5K.  I don't like to wear headphones or earpods as it's very narrow in places and I like to be able to hear cars coming.  I have got an arm holder, but don't like it very much as I find them a bit of a distraction . 

I bought run of these https://freetrain.co.uk it's basically a vest with a phone holder in the chest position, that you can access quite easily.  I thought it was great at first, but have become a bit less enamoured with it of late.  When it gets a bit sweaty and it rubs against your chest, it can make your music skip etc.  And the popper to undo the phone holder is really fiddly while you're running.  It's good for just playing music without headphones on though, using the external speaker.  I'm too boring to listen to my own thoughts for 30 minutes!

Agree on the earbuds blocking noise which is why I’ve stopped wearing them as well as a couple of my run routes are on roads with no pavements. Not sure on that chest thing though, it was bad enough when I used to wear an armband!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
The idea of it is pretty good.  Your phone is in a flap which folds down in front of your chest, with the 'hinge' at the bottom so in theory you can use it right in front of you without having to slow down too much.  In practice though, it's not so good.  The screen is tight against your chest, and mine seems to think that buttons are being pressed when they're not.  Also the popper that keeps the phone pouch done up is really fiddly to fasten on the move.  I might reinvent it and sell my own version, it can't be that hard to sew a few bits of elastic together.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #707 on: July 02, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
Have you not got an arm sleeve to keep it in so you don't get distracted? Alternatively buy a decent running watch with GPS and ability to play music and some bluetooth ear pods? I swapped to this about 2 months ago and whilst I have the ability to listen to music Ive stopped and am just alone with my thoughts or when my watch bleeps at me to run faster!!!

I run to the end of our lane that goes out of our village, and back again, as it's pretty much exactly 5K.  I don't like to wear headphones or earpods as it's very narrow in places and I like to be able to hear cars coming.  I have got an arm holder, but don't like it very much as I find them a bit of a distraction . 

I bought run of these https://freetrain.co.uk it's basically a vest with a phone holder in the chest position, that you can access quite easily.  I thought it was great at first, but have become a bit less enamoured with it of late.  When it gets a bit sweaty and it rubs against your chest, it can make your music skip etc.  And the popper to undo the phone holder is really fiddly while you're running.  It's good for just playing music without headphones on though, using the external speaker.  I'm too boring to listen to my own thoughts for 30 minutes!

Agree on the earbuds blocking noise which is why I’ve stopped wearing them as well as a couple of my run routes are on roads with no pavements. Not sure on that chest thing though, it was bad enough when I used to wear an armband!!

On the headphone front i love these https://aftershokz.co.uk/products/air - despite wobbling along narrow lanes, canal towpaths where bikes bomb up and down I can listen to music/podcasts and still hear whats around me.

I also use them for telephone calls for work.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #708 on: July 02, 2020, 01:05:24 PM »
The idea of it is pretty good.  Your phone is in a flap which folds down in front of your chest, with the 'hinge' at the bottom so in theory you can use it right in front of you without having to slow down too much.  In practice though, it's not so good.  The screen is tight against your chest, and mine seems to think that buttons are being pressed when they're not.  Also the popper that keeps the phone pouch done up is really fiddly to fasten on the move.  I might reinvent it and sell my own version, it can't be that hard to sew a few bits of elastic together.

They're doing adjustable and glow in the dark ones now. It is a good product, I think they will improve as they get feedback on V1. It comes in handy on race days when you have car keys and energy gels and all sorts you want to carry.

Offline Risso

« Reply #709 on: July 02, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
Mine is one of the new ones.  The waist band is adjustable, but the shoulder straps aren't.  What they should have done was have the phone pouch lower, but with the clear bit facing out and hinged at the top.  Velcro as a fastening would have been much easier to use as well.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #710 on: July 02, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
I’ve got one of those and if I’m not careful my phone takes dozens of photos of the inside of it while I’m running.

Birmingham company though, so going to persevere!

I bought one of these a while back, they're great especially on a long run as I can wear it under an endurance vest with gels & liquids. Recommended by one of the Villa medical team as well.

Offline Risso

« Reply #711 on: July 05, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
Another minute off my 5K best this morning, 26:25.  Actually starting to enjoy this running lark. I'm now down to my lightest since I got married 15 years ago as well.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
Brilliant stuff. Wish I could get to the point of enjoyment!

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #713 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »
I’m still not allowed to run following my crash on Easter Sunday, I’m hoping I get the go ahead next Friday.

Offline Risso

« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Good luck Jon, hope you get the all clear.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #715 on: July 13, 2020, 12:54:27 PM »
Good luck Jon, hope you get the all clear.

Cheers, thankfully (weirdly) this C-19 nonsense means there haven’t been any races to miss.

Offline cdward

« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Brilliant stuff. Wish I could get to the point of enjoyment!
Every Villa fan this season

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #717 on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
A new PB for a 5K tonight, 28:10.  I'm going to set my sights on 25 mins by the end of the summer. 

Oh and I bought a pair of those swanky carbon plate trainers.  Absolutely brilliant, not so much in the speed for me, although I was wearing them tonight, but for the reduction in impact I feel when running, nd much reduced aches and pains the next day.  Any of you really serious runners should try a pair, they're brilliant.

What kind are they? Seriously thinking about getting some.

Offline Risso

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #719 on: August 03, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »
Thank you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal