collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175829 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
Not this year, it was a beautiful day for it though, I was out running in the morning in a blizzard on Greenham Common, lovely.

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
Ran the Warwick Castle half on Sunday in the rain and sleet.  Very pleased with 1:39 and a good tune up for the London Marathon in 31 days time.  Just need to stay fit and try and enjoy my 2 last long runs. 

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:09 PM »
Did anyone do Reading yesterday?

My missus did and she said that she ran past a house with a gazebo outside and a Villa flag flying. She shouted "up the Villa" to them ( the daft old Arsenal mare) and got a cheer.

She can hardly walk today

Chcico I did (last Sunday) and shouted Villa a couple of times to them with the double over the head clap.  they responded.

Was it anything to do with the Reading resident who posts on here - he was doing half marathon too?

I can walk now but Monday was hard after driving back. 1h37m35s and a new PB. You probably don't want to know but I like telling people

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
Sorry, Rob, only just read this post

The "Villa fan in Berkshire"? that's Jon Crofts innit?

he wouldn't have a gazebo - a marquee, maybe, but not a gazebo.............

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
Summer House dear boy, marquees are so vulgar.

There's a few Reading Villains that post on here and a Windsor Villain and anyway I live in West Berkshire.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Time to resuscitate the running thread.

How was Spring and the marathon season?  My first Triathlon of the year next Sunday, Windsor olympic distance, Thames looks quite benign at the moment unlike last year when the swim got cancelled due to the flow and the crap coming downstream and the triathlon ended up as a duathlon.

Offline NatP

« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
Have just got my entries in for the Timberhonger 10km (Bromsgrove) and the Birmingham Black Country Half Marathon (Wolverhampton to Birmingham along the canal path).
Better get off the sofa and do some training....

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
London Marathon was a disappointment at 3:53, missed too many long runs with a virus and was just undercooked, went great until 18 miles when i was on for 3:30 something but then crashed and burned.

Ran the 2 castles 10k at the weekend and set a new PB of 43:57 so that was better.  For the rest of the year I'm running the Olympic Park 5mile in July, finishing in the Stadium, and then an looking at the London Duathlon in September for something a bit different to just the running.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »
I'm supposed be doing the Wolverhampton- Brum half.... But I'm still injured and getting heavy!

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
Windsor Olympic Tri done, 2:34 total, cold dark swim in the Thames was a wake up call at 0725 this morning, good bike leg & a good 10k in 46 mins to end.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
5 weeks until I do Ironman Wales.  On Saturday I rode the bike course, 112 miles and 9000 feet of climb, just the marathon to run after that then.
First signs of repetitive strain & pressure injuries starting now, my ankles are sore when running especially on tarmac, need to find some grassy tracks to run on & try & stay injury free now for 5 more weeks.

Brutal in parts and beautiful in others.

That's Freshwater West, one of the finest beaches in the UK.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
Fackin' nails

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:45 AM »
Well done Jon, brilliant effort.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
Well done sir. 13hrs 40 mins 5 secs of utter gruelling hell. Well done John. Keep up the training and we will see you in Lanzarote in 2014.
Fantastic time and great effort. UTV
Are you prepared for the climbs over here mate ? Brutal does not do them justice, and you have the heat as well. I am sure you know this already, but, email La Santa for your info closer to the time. It would do you well to have a couple of weeks over here before your Ironman to get to know the course and the heat. You could then work out your nutrition, fluid intake ...etc. Good luck pal.
Oh, then there is the wind. Once you get out of Puerto Del Carmen, through Calero, up to Yaiza, the wind is fierce mate, especially through Timanfaya and up to Mirador Del Rio. Then you are on easy street, nearly. You only have a full Marathon to go then. Easy does it mate, as long as you finish over here it is a fantastic triumph. Go Mr Crofts.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:45:52 PM by danlanza »

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
Well done sir. 13hrs 40 mins 5 secs of utter gruelling hell. Well done John. Keep up the training and we will see you in Lanzarote in 2014.
Fantastic time and great effort. UTV
Are you prepared for the climbs over here mate ? Brutal does not do them justice, and you have the heat as well. I am sure you know this already, but, email La Santa for your info closer to the time. It would do you well to have a couple of weeks over here before your Ironman to get to know the course and the heat. You could then work out your nutrition, fluid intake ...etc. Good luck pal.
Oh, then there is the wind. Once you get out of Puerto Del Carmen, through Calero, up to Yaiza, the wind is fierce mate, especially through Timanfaya and up to Mirador Del Rio. Then you are on easy street, nearly. You only have a full Marathon to go then. Easy does it mate, as long as you finish over here it is a fantastic triumph. Go Mr Crofts.

After an Ironman in Wales, Lanzarote will be a breeze for someone like Jon, Dan. Knowing how seriously Jon takes his racing he will do the proper training and research.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal