collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 527 | Comments: 8

1967: Preston North End and...
April 03, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1320 | Comments: 25

ďMental pain is...
April 01, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 247 | Comments: 0

In the fifties it used to be t...
March 30, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 420 | Comments: 5

Over the years, Villa Park has...
March 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 539 | Comments: 9

On the principle that if you c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving  (Read 3930279 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : 02.08.2021
Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #25095 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
I've yet to meet a Villa fan who supports us because of David Cameron.
I've met plenty who support us despite David Cameron.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #25096 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
I've yet to meet a Villa fan who supports us because of David Cameron.
I've met plenty who support us despite David Cameron.

I thought we were all middle class
Tories 😉

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #25097 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:23 PM »
Must have been a awful Saturday having to hear how well the Villa played and then hearing we are signing a class midfielder  as opposed to a Sandwell reserve on loan

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25098 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »
ďI agree that we all have great mates who are villa fans but I also let them know that I fecking hate their football team.
The other issue I have is that a big part of their fan base comes from outside the city mainly because of when they won the European Cup.
David Cameron, Prince William et al - sums them upď

The usual bollox. A big part of our fan base? We still have more in Brum by miles but being a more successful team we are bound to attract more more far and wide. We do have Brummie celebrity supporters other than those two mentioned but the Noses never seem to mention them. You only have to look at their thread about weather to see they have support from places way outside the city.

So a big part of our fan base comes from out of the city mainly because we won the European Cup. I don't recall the Holte End suddenly heaving with more fans and lots of strange faces after May 1982.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #25099 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »
Our attendances were still bigger than theirs pre 81 and 82. And when they plummeted in the mid 80s in and around the relegation - and to be fair most teams attendances dropped - we still got more than them.  They go on about this one mythical season in the 70s where they were apparently the fourth best supported side in England. If this is true where did they go? Why did they never come back? Itís all bullshit, they got nothing else. When they got promoted in 2002 they got bigger crowds, thatís natural, but they claimed they had more season ticket holders than Villa - and our crowds were still bigger. By the time they dropped out the Prem just 3-4 years later they admitted their crowds were dropping - and now the only time they fill it is when we play there. Surely they would have picked up more fans after winning the league cup? Nah.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 21.03.2022
« Reply #25100 on: January 25, 2021, 09:31:09 AM »
Don't you remember? The 80s were renowned for huge crowds, off the back of the lovely family atmosphere you found at football matches back then...

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #25101 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »
They even admit at some schools they were outnumbered by Villa kids. You canít have it both ways, Noses.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #25102 on: January 25, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
Our attendances were still bigger than theirs pre 81 and 82. And when they plummeted in the mid 80s in and around the relegation - and to be fair most teams attendances dropped - we still got more than them.  They go on about this one mythical season in the 70s where they were apparently the fourth best supported side in England. If this is true where did they go? Why did they never come back? Itís all bullshit, they got nothing else. When they got promoted in 2002 they got bigger crowds, thatís natural, but they claimed they had more season ticket holders than Villa - and our crowds were still bigger. By the time they dropped out the Prem just 3-4 years later they admitted their crowds were dropping - and now the only time they fill it is when we play there. Surely they would have picked up more fans after winning the league cup? Nah.

I always remember when they first got promoted with the usual spin from Gold, Sullivan and co, the City was turning Blue and White, the superstadium they wanted built at the NEC paid for by the council, the weekly article Brady had in the Sun on a Saturday where you would see constant references to us which were rarely complimentary

I also remember the myth about the fan base, the first season they got promoted in their modest stadium, numerous games were not sell outs, rare you would expect for a teams first season back in the top flight for what over 20 years especially with the number of near misses they had in the process.  On the Premiership years numerous matches they have pockets of empty seats around the ground

I also remember mainly due to one of my mates being a season ticket holder at the time under McLeish the outcry when they were making season ticket holders move from the lower Railway next to the away fans as they wanted to be able to give away teams bigger allocations of around 4000 fans, as the attendances were around the 24-25 mark, so a clear lack of demand.  Yet listening to them you would think they were some sort of powerhouse with fans not being able to get in

I also remember that same mate telling me for the Carling cup final that they keep reminding us about, there were a number of tickets that went to fans with just a 1 game booking history required.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #25103 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
They always think they have a huge potential support just waiting to be tapped on the basis that they are able to attract 40,000 fans to attend their very rare trips to Wembley. Not bothering to notice that you can say the same about roughly fifty clubs. There's a difference between attracting day-trippers and maintaining a large year round support like the big clubs do.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:00:06 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #25104 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
To be fair they always bring loads to Bolton.  When itís half price and kids for a quid.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25105 on: January 25, 2021, 12:06:02 PM »

In 1971-72, when both teams got promoted, their gates were a bit bigger than ours then John Mitchell broke their 'earts an' I never been back since, Tom. They could well have had more season tickets holders than us when they first came up - we never used to traditionally sell many, because with our capacity and lack of membership areas you could always buy a matchday ticket.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 21.02.2022
« Reply #25106 on: January 25, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »
Their average attendance has never been higher than ours since the 74-75 season (so 45 years) and on only 9 occasions prior to that since WW2. They're a nothing club who aren't quite on a par with Norwich in terms of success

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 21.03.2022
« Reply #25107 on: January 25, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
Their average attendance has never been higher than ours since the 74-75 season (so 45 years) and on only 9 occasions prior to that since WW2. They're a nothing club who aren't quite on a par with Norwich in terms of success

That's harsh on Norwich.

Norwich are the most successful club over a 40 mile radius from their ground.  I doubt the Blues are in the top 10 most successful within 40 miles of the Sty...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25108 on: January 25, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
In the darkest days for football attendances in the mid eighties  Small Heath and Albion had a number of attendances under 10,000 regularly in the top flight. We only dropped below 10,000 for that notorious Southampton game. We were averaging 15,000 behind the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. Only Liverpool and Manure were regularly getting thirty thousand plus back then.

1985/1986

Manure averaged 46,322
Liverpool averaged 35,319
Arsenal 23,813
Spurs 20,862
Villa 15,218
Albion 12,137
Coventry 11,648
Small Heath 10,918
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:02:58 PM by Damo70 »

Offline steamer

« Reply #25109 on: January 25, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
I posted on the Burnley match thread that i saw a table from 74-75 when they had an average crowd of 33,000
our average in the second division was 28,000 based on some low figures at the start of the year culminating in 57,000 for the last home game against Sunderland, although there were an estimated 10,000 Sunderland fans there
Can not be bothered to check but it would be an interesting table to see the year on year attendance figures.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal