collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
Today at 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 198 | Comments: 3

Itís forever been a myst...
May 11, 2021, 12:03:49 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 483 | Comments: 2

I was not at all surprised whe...
April 20, 2021, 07:06:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 981 | Comments: 5

It is 19th April 2021 and I fe...
April 19, 2021, 12:18:46 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 925 | Comments: 8

According to PETA (https://tin...
April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 974 | Comments: 14

1967: Preston North End and...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving  (Read 3955955 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #24960 on: January 18, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »

Online Damo70

« Reply #24961 on: January 18, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »
Does the Mail feel the need to highlight the ethnicity of white people who commit crimes just below the headline?

I would think in a case like this they would. Like it or not it's a obviously a key physical characteristic of the criminals.

If the police are looking for four Asian guys it is a pretty key factor in the reporting of the story.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #24962 on: January 18, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
I never said they shouldn't mention it, just that it shouldn't be given such prominence.

Because it isn't when it's white people.

Offline PGW

« Reply #24963 on: January 18, 2021, 07:06:22 PM »
Can someone please confirm or refute something i'm sure i read somewhere.

Did the blues have, i won't call it a ban, but a reluctance to sign Irish players in the dim and dark past.
Got involved in a discussion and i said they did have this in their past history based on something i read a
couple of years ago.
Cheers in anticipation.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2022
« Reply #24964 on: January 18, 2021, 07:10:17 PM »

Did the blues have, i won't call it a ban, but a reluctance to sign Irish players in the dim and dark past.
Got involved in a discussion and i said they did have this in their past history based on something i read a
couple of years ago.
Cheers in anticipation.

David Langan Stephen Carr and Lee Carsley are three off the top of my head to start with, relatively modern era but if you do a bit of digging I'm sure you'll find more.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 03.03.2017
« Reply #24965 on: January 18, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
I'd heard that Liam Brady was desperate to play for them but they told him to do one  :o

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #24966 on: January 18, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »

couple of years ago.
Cheers in anticipation.

David Langan Stephen Carr and Lee Carsley are three off the top of my head to start with, relatively modern era but if you do a bit of digging I'm sure you'll find more.

Liam Daish another.

Online dave shelley

« Reply #24967 on: January 18, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »
Clinton Morrison and how could we forget Scott Hogan.

Offline PGW

« Reply #24968 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »

couple of years ago.
Cheers in anticipation.

Liam Daish another.

I'm looking back further than this, the type of thing u used to see in 50's No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish u know what i mean....Hopefully.
I maybe talking out my arse but i'm certain i read it somewhere.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #24969 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:36 PM »
I've always considered us to be the more "Irish" of the two sides. Most of the old fellas I knew including my Dad followed Villa. Before my time we had a few notable Irish players and of course plenty during the 90's including the greatest of all. And we're all aware of our current Captain's background. I've never heard of anything like a ban or even anything remotely anti Irish at the rags though.

I can tell you one interesting story. A native of Co Roscommon, with close family ties to our club used to watch every Ireland international at the Irish Centre. That was until Daish, Morrison etc were playing for Small Heath a few 'noses started watching, he was driven away by their appalling behaviour and endless references to the Villa.

'Twas ever thus

Online dave shelley

« Reply #24970 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:03 PM »
Have a look in here

You do realise I now have to get my laptop sanitised after this?

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24971 on: January 18, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »
I've always considered us to be the more "Irish" of the two sides. Most of the old fellas I knew including my Dad followed Villa. Before my time we had a few notable Irish players and of course plenty during the 90's including the greatest of all. And we're all aware of our current Captain's background. I've never heard of anything like a ban or even anything remotely anti Irish at the rags though.

Same. My Irish family are all Villa fans, and every Brummie I have ever known from an Irish background have been Villa fans, but I've never heard any notion that SHA were anti-Irish.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 07.03.2022
« Reply #24972 on: January 18, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »
Well, you learn something new everyday...

Having never been an avid student of Small Heath's "history", I've just read about their first season in the Football League and, comically, it's about the most Small Heath-esque of tales.

When Saturday Comes has an end piece called Season In Brief, which each issue looks at one particular season in a given League or Division.  It's one of my favourite features.

This month's article is about the inaugural Football League Division Two in 1892-93.  Small Heath are among the new members and, blow me, not only are they the Division's top scorers (including their still club record win), they finish top by one point...

...Except there is no automatic promotion, but a play off system and, even if a second tier team wins that, they have to be elected to Division One. 

The inevitable happens... Small Heath lose 5-2 to some mob called Newton Heath  And the outcome of the play-offs and election is that the two teams who had finished second and third below them - Sheffield United and Darwen - are promoted to Division One. 

Small Heath: breaking hearts since 1893.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 07.04.2022
« Reply #24973 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »

Same. My Irish family are all Villa fans, and every Brummie I have ever known from an Irish background have been Villa fans, but I've never heard any notion that SHA were anti-Irish.

Same here, never heard the anti-Irish thing. My impression was always that any Irish Blues fans were from the inner city in Dublin as the only ones I've met (2) were from there. I've never met a culchie that supported them.

My Dad reckons that some of the Irish supported Blose back in the day if they lived near their ground e.g. in Sparkbrook/Sparkhill. When he went over in '59 he was in digs on the Moseley Road but a lad from Westmeath there was going to Villa so Dad went too. Later anyone he knew from Roscommon in Brum was also Villa. Aside from McParland he cites Con Martin and Pat Saward as other Irish factors for following Villa.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 07.04.2022
« Reply #24974 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:01 PM »
The inevitable happens... Small Heath lose 5-2 to some mob called Newton Heath 

I've always thought that both clubs would have been better off retaining their old names than adopting the generic City and United. Thank God no one ever suggested changing our name to Birmingham United or the like. <shudders at the thought>

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal