collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3263 | Comments: 5

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 5766 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2778 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2052 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2305 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Attention Deficiency Syndrome  (Read 2305 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Attention Deficiency Syndrome
« on: August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
The new name for the 100 ball cricket for those who cannot be bothered to watch the real thing.

I received an email from Edgbaston telling me that the game was a sell out so when I saw that it was going to be shown on BBC2 on Sunday afternoon I thought I would do my best to see it through - all the way through.

The game was billed as Birmingham Pheonix v Trent rockets.  Two names presumably left over from the lexicon of American College Football names because there is otherwise no obvious link between Birmingham and Pheonix or Nottingham and Rockets.

The BBC website gives the names of the other clubs in the eight-team league without expanding any further on where the Originals, Invinciples, Spirits etc reside or why, so at the moment they remain a mystery to me.

Screen time began at 14.10, when indeed the ground was filling rapidly. We were treated to some inane introductions without any attempt to tell the viewer the precise rules of the competition other than the obvious 100 balls per innings but we were assured we were in for a thrilling afternooon’s entertainment.  Note the use of the word entertainment – there should be no pretence that we are about to watch SPORT.  The Olympic Games remain the purview of BBC 1

The game was meant with a Nasa style countdown but whether the first ball coincided with the zero was not entirely obvious.  The Trentsiders wore gaudy red and yellow shirts suggesting they were more appropriate to the old Birmingham Speedway colours plus black flannels, if indeed they were flannels. The home team also red and yellow but from different parts of the palette plus flame red flannels.

Milne opened the bowling for the Pheonix and from the length of his approach gave a momentary suggestion that this was serious cricket. But his aim was deficient and it soon became obvious that bowling at the wickets was not in his armoury. He was there to lob the ball up so that the batsman would be tempted to give catches to the outfielders. Actually there were no infielders and no suggestion of a slip fielder for the anticipated snick.

The other home team bowlers, especially Brown did not appear to be on trial for promotion into proper cricket so this may be as far as they get.

After 70 minutes the Trent over was deemed over, Pheonix having managed to bowl their allotted 100 balls. Whether 144 was a winning score was then the cause for debate amongst a trio of commenters who entered the arena  Most thought ‘yes’ on the grounds that Trent had won their first three games of the season so ought to know what they were doing.  Birmingham had won only one of their three.

A camera in the sky unwittingly demonstrated that the 20,000 in the ground would have been better moving 200 yards down the road where a game of proper cricket was revealed as taking place in Calthorpe Park.

To my amazement the between innings period only last fifteen minutes – barely sufficient to sell ice cream and refreshments to all who may have needed it and presumably this was the main object of the afternoon’s exercise.

Trent took the field and as is traditional these days held a bonding session in the outfield. A screen shot predicted victory to Pheonix by 51% to 49%

Warwickshire (old habits causes me to call them Warwickshire - I still refuse to recognise the Birmingham Bears) began as if they were not going to need anything like 100 balls to win the game. Trent seemed to recognise the fact by introducing five different bowlers in their first five overs.

Balls peppered the boundary, encouraging the spectators into gestures more generally seen stateside at an Indian powwow.  But this at least provided some alternative for the cameras to fix on. One wonders how many of the many dozens of pre-teenagers in the crowd were impressed by their first ever so-called cricket match and how many are ever likely to suggest going to spend six plus hours at a match, much less for the four days they often take.

The BBC then had a man sitting in solitude on the boundary whose job seemed to be to give a coaching lesson in how to bowl a cricket ball. His observations on the use of the knuckle ball in baseball (a rare but wondrous thing to behold) suggested that he, too needed a lesson in its frequency.

The Trent bowlers were even more inaccurate than those of Pheonix and for a moment it looked as though the home team would win in barely 50 balls.

By now the TV people went in search of the crowd to liven up the proceedings but singularly failed. The six year old wearing a Villa Shirt looked decidedly embarrassed as he twitched in silenced whilst his father had his fifteen minutes – or maybe two.

Such is the importance of the game (sic) that on sppeal went to VAR but unlike the US where all these things are decided atop a skyscraper in New York the ball tracker was not working, so the umpire's not out decision took priority. Whereupon my phone rang just as the winning run was being scored so I cannot record how many balls they had remaining – about 25 in think

The TV folks then had 40 minutes to fill to the start of the next programme, so began a series of inane interviews to fill up the time. Will Sneed came on, not as might be thought, ‘man of the match’ but as ‘match hero’ , an odd choice of accolade in such as low key contest.

The game was all over in 2 hours 20 minutes. The average baseball game lasts 3 hours so little wonder that large sections of the crowd seemed reluctant to vacate their seats, perhaps feeling cheated by the brevity of it all.

As someone who can claim to know something (rather a lot actually) about baseball perhaps they could enliven the proceedings by allowing the spectators to keep the ball when it goes into the crowd. After all, the ball is hardly likely to get worn and out of shape in only 100 tosses. With a half an hour of air time to fill the BBC did the obvious thing and put on an edition of Floggit

With 100 ball cricket the MCC is doing its best to kill off tradition cricket and the BBC who revitalised it 60 years ago via the Sunday afternoon International charity matches are co-conspirators in its demise.  No good will come of it.

John Russell

Offline hipkiss92

Re: Attention Deficiency Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »
Excellent article of a ridiculous tournament being pushed by the ECB (not MCC) at the expense of the rest of the summer game.

Only relevance between Phoenix and Birmingham I have come across is by George Dobell on Cricinfo, pointing out the consortium which took over MG Rover and proceeded to run it into administration.

The ECB also pushing this as the epitome of gender equality is also a nonsense. Best paid woman's player is being paid less than the worst paid men's player, while the women only get one game on the BBC and 5 in total outside of Monday to Friday 9-5

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 21.03.2022
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »
The Hundred is the answer to a question literally no-one asked.

I'll give it two seasons tops.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:52 PM »
I hope it doesn't last that long.  Absolutely americanised shite and further bastardises a sport that seems more money orientated than getting England to the top of the test match ratings.  Cutting the T20 short by 20 balls was such a crap idea.  Why not simply Americanise the T20 Blast instead and get Moeen Ali back playing for England and/or Worcestershire, when I might add, he is most needed.

Good article, enjoyable read.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:54:44 PM »
A good read but the whole idea is not aimed at any of us.

I like a couple of the ideas that they’ve introduced but it’s the Blast with fewer balls.

What concerns me more is that red ball cricket has been elbowed aside to fit it into the schedule. So we have the situation where no red ball cricket has been played for several weeks in the middle of summer and we have gone into the first test of a series against a very good Indian team where most of the players look out of form because they’ve played no red ball cricket.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »
Good piece i love cricket, hence a really don't like the 100 .

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »

I like a couple of the ideas that they’ve introduced but it’s the Blast with fewer balls.

What concerns me more is that red ball cricket has been elbowed aside to fit it into the schedule. So we have the situation where no red ball cricket has been played for several weeks in the middle of summer and we have gone into the first test of a series against a very good Indian team where most of the players look out of form because they’ve played no red ball cricket.

Very true. Apparently this Test is Joe Root’s first First Class innings of the season - In August !
I think they are deliberately creating  the conditions where so called ‘red ball’ cricket dies a natural death.
Like its followers I guess….

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 06:55:28 PM »
Thanks for that, John. Not that it will make any difference to the money wasting Tory tw*ts at the ECB.

I look forward to the inquiry as to why no-one can bat anymore when we get stuffed 5-0 in the Ashes. No doubt no-one at the ECB will be taking the blame.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 07:42:00 PM »

Very true. Apparently this Test is Joe Root’s first First Class innings of the season - In August !
I think they are deliberately creating  the conditions where so called ‘red ball’ cricket dies a natural death.

He played two tests against the Kiwis earlier this summer.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »
Only good thing about the Hundred is that it has allowed me to see the talented young players we have up and coming

Offline charlatan

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »

He played two tests against the Kiwis earlier this summer.

And has scored 291 runs in eight innings in the County Championship.

I have no interest in the Hundred, but having all of the other county games on Youtube has more than made up for this montrosity.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 05:15:15 PM »
I started reading this...but gave up after the first sentence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal