collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 9836 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldnít play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.

With our league situation and Liverpool's situation with the Club World Cup maybe we could just agree to both teams playing the kids/reserves  ;)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2021
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
Absolutely fucking horrible 7 days. Leicester, Election and today. I am going to go and hide in a dark hole till Tuesday.😥😡

Not bothering with the Liverpool game?
Not sure what you are on about😉

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Just back.

Positives, I like Sheffield, good pubs, decent folk, seems a pretty vibrant place. Trains ran on time with minimal overcrowding.

Negatives - everything else.

Thought Hause did ok, pretty much an off day for everyone else. Sheffield were just as shit as us for large parts of the game but sit 5th because they work harder, press in packs and push their full backs right up to the most attacking areas of the field. Much to learn

Donít think there is anymore to be said, a real off day

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »
How does a really inexperienced manager, at this level anyway, who is only used to success, stop the rot? We are getting worse. Some very poor performances just recently.  Dean is an intelligent guy who needs a rethink.  That said, Lansbury really isnít the answer Deano!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2021
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldnít play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.
If by that you mean play reserves than itís a no from me. If Dean does that heís dead to me.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:23 PM »
He can argue heís not been provided with a squad to enable him to compete.

The bench today was abject

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
If by that you mean play reserves than itís a no from me. If Dean does that heís dead to me.

Agree with you. I think itís a bit of an urban myth about cup runs affecting league form, with some notable exceptions, blues ha!! I get the worries about injuries, but a weakened side just about beat wolves kids and would be capable of losing to Liverpoolís youngsters, which would knock the confidence even further. Iíll be really disappointed if he makes lots of changes for this one

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2019, 11:05:26 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

Online AsTallAsLions

« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
It is too easy to over-analyse IMO. We are simply shit right now. We are not working hard enough in any position and it's showing. Smith needs to get the fucking finger out and tell each individual to do the same - including the 'undroppables' tbh.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

Pretty much, I always like to look for the positives and the only one I could really draw today was that there wasnít an opposition player Iíd like to buy but they were a team and we can emulate that They worked for each other far more than we did.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2019, 11:23:52 PM »
PWS I am not saying it was a bad move appointing Smith.  What I am saying is that increasingly it COULD look like a poor move.  If you can take exception to that you can take exception to anything.  I am not putting forward my staunch 75 years on the Holte as proof of the veracity of my opinions only as justification that I offer views in good faith.

Just off topic Brian but are the club aware of your long service. I saw the other week a Derby fan was presented onto the pitch for his long support of the club. He is 102 though so suspect you're still some way off that!

Anyway I would disagree that even at this stage Dean Smith being appointed simply can't be seen as a poor move. His brief was to stop the rot and eventually get us up, did it in six months.

As poor as we've been in last 10 days we still aren't in the bottom 3 or even close to becoming trapped into it. If we dropped into it we could just move out of it the next week by winning a game like Everton did.

Anyway what I suspect may come up in the new year is we're in similar position to Southampton were all those years ago. Nigel Adkins had achieved two promotions and Southampton weren't even in bottom 3 when he was sacked. It was a massive gamble but Southampton survived and then thrived for next 2-3 seasons.

Of course they also signed very well so changing the manager is only ever a part of the process.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2019, 11:36:58 PM »
PWS I am not saying it was a bad move appointing Smith.  What I am saying is that increasingly it COULD look like a poor move.  If you can take exception to that you can take exception to anything.  I am not putting forward my staunch 75 years on the Holte as proof of the veracity of my opinions only as justification that I offer views in good faith.

Just off topic Brian but are the club aware of your long service. I saw the other week a Derby fan was presented onto the pitch for his long support of the club. He is 102 though so suspect you're still some way off that!

Anyway I would disagree that even at this stage Dean Smith being appointed simply can't be seen as a poor move. His brief was to stop the rot and eventually get us up, did it in six months.

As poor as we've been in last 10 days we still aren't in the bottom 3 or even close to becoming trapped into it. If we dropped into it we could just move out of it the next week by winning a game like Everton did.

Anyway what I suspect may come up in the new year is we're in similar position to Southampton were all those years ago. Nigel Adkins had achieved two promotions and Southampton weren't even in bottom 3 when he was sacked. It was a massive gamble but Southampton survived and then thrived for next 2-3 seasons.

Of course they also signed very well so changing the manager is only ever a part of the process.

I was delighted that Pochettino fucked off from Southampton as soon as a 'big' club came in for him, due to the way he was appointed in the first place. Shitty behaviour.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »

Unfortunately, Tuesday had dropped down the list of priorities due to performances over the last couple of weeks.  The main priority should now be making sure key players are fit and ready for the three league games coming up over the next couple of weeks.  They have now become the priority.  That said, a team of Nyland, Elmo, Chester, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Hourihane, Lansbury, Trezeguet,  El Ghazi and Kodjia should still be strong enough to get past the kind of team Liverpool are likely to put out.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »
Think Jota will start on Tuesday. He's supposed to have been in training for weeks but can't even make the bench now.

Would play a strong team but we certainly can't risk Jack given he's on 4 yellows. We need him for Southampton.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2019, 12:14:10 AM »
This was the side for the last round

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal