collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20860 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:23 PM »
He can argue he’s not been provided with a squad to enable him to compete.

The bench today was abject

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.
If by that you mean play reserves than it’s a no from me. If Dean does that he’s dead to me.

Agree with you. I think it’s a bit of an urban myth about cup runs affecting league form, with some notable exceptions, blues ha!! I get the worries about injuries, but a weakened side just about beat wolves kids and would be capable of losing to Liverpool’s youngsters, which would knock the confidence even further. I’ll be really disappointed if he makes lots of changes for this one

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2019, 11:05:26 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
It is too easy to over-analyse IMO. We are simply shit right now. We are not working hard enough in any position and it's showing. Smith needs to get the fucking finger out and tell each individual to do the same - including the 'undroppables' tbh.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
We really were piss poor today. We're missing amongst other things an in-form McGinn and a decent centre forward. I thought Hause did ok and Grealish tried his best to get us going (totally wasted out wide by the way) but it all looked too predictable at times and it wasn't good enough.

Pretty much, I always like to look for the positives and the only one I could really draw today was that there wasn’t an opposition player I’d like to buy but they were a team and we can emulate that They worked for each other far more than we did.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2019, 11:23:52 PM »
PWS I am not saying it was a bad move appointing Smith.  What I am saying is that increasingly it COULD look like a poor move.  If you can take exception to that you can take exception to anything.  I am not putting forward my staunch 75 years on the Holte as proof of the veracity of my opinions only as justification that I offer views in good faith.

Just off topic Brian but are the club aware of your long service. I saw the other week a Derby fan was presented onto the pitch for his long support of the club. He is 102 though so suspect you're still some way off that!

Anyway I would disagree that even at this stage Dean Smith being appointed simply can't be seen as a poor move. His brief was to stop the rot and eventually get us up, did it in six months.

As poor as we've been in last 10 days we still aren't in the bottom 3 or even close to becoming trapped into it. If we dropped into it we could just move out of it the next week by winning a game like Everton did.

Anyway what I suspect may come up in the new year is we're in similar position to Southampton were all those years ago. Nigel Adkins had achieved two promotions and Southampton weren't even in bottom 3 when he was sacked. It was a massive gamble but Southampton survived and then thrived for next 2-3 seasons.

Of course they also signed very well so changing the manager is only ever a part of the process.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2019, 11:36:58 PM »
PWS I am not saying it was a bad move appointing Smith.  What I am saying is that increasingly it COULD look like a poor move.  If you can take exception to that you can take exception to anything.  I am not putting forward my staunch 75 years on the Holte as proof of the veracity of my opinions only as justification that I offer views in good faith.

Just off topic Brian but are the club aware of your long service. I saw the other week a Derby fan was presented onto the pitch for his long support of the club. He is 102 though so suspect you're still some way off that!

Anyway I would disagree that even at this stage Dean Smith being appointed simply can't be seen as a poor move. His brief was to stop the rot and eventually get us up, did it in six months.

As poor as we've been in last 10 days we still aren't in the bottom 3 or even close to becoming trapped into it. If we dropped into it we could just move out of it the next week by winning a game like Everton did.

Anyway what I suspect may come up in the new year is we're in similar position to Southampton were all those years ago. Nigel Adkins had achieved two promotions and Southampton weren't even in bottom 3 when he was sacked. It was a massive gamble but Southampton survived and then thrived for next 2-3 seasons.

Of course they also signed very well so changing the manager is only ever a part of the process.

I was delighted that Pochettino fucked off from Southampton as soon as a 'big' club came in for him, due to the way he was appointed in the first place. Shitty behaviour.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.
If by that you mean play reserves than it’s a no from me. If Dean does that he’s dead to me.

Unfortunately, Tuesday had dropped down the list of priorities due to performances over the last couple of weeks.  The main priority should now be making sure key players are fit and ready for the three league games coming up over the next couple of weeks.  They have now become the priority.  That said, a team of Nyland, Elmo, Chester, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Hourihane, Lansbury, Trezeguet,  El Ghazi and Kodjia should still be strong enough to get past the kind of team Liverpool are likely to put out.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »
Think Jota will start on Tuesday. He's supposed to have been in training for weeks but can't even make the bench now.

Would play a strong team but we certainly can't risk Jack given he's on 4 yellows. We need him for Southampton.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2019, 12:14:10 AM »
This was the side for the last round

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2019, 01:12:12 AM »
1st half was pretty awful from both sides.

2nd we conceded 2 shit goals and didn't look like scoring our own.

Wes did better than he has but was all alone.

Nobody gets much credit from today.

The next four matches are huge.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2019, 01:20:26 AM »
They look like they need a holiday, and unfortunately for them they ain't getting one for a long time.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2019, 01:49:46 AM »
I watched most of the replays and for me Peter With is correct our players do not run as hard tackle as hard and want the ball as much. The times we give the ball away when under no pressure is alarming. McGinn looks like a different player to the one at the start of the season if he is being played out of position then fix it Dean we need him above all to get back on track.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2019, 03:01:34 AM »
The only positive for me is that D.S. has realised we will have to grind some results out. Didn't work today, but if we go gung-ho all season, we are fucked.
It is clear now that we will be in the relegation mix until the death. So it goes.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »
If he doesn’t make us harder to play against, he will be gone soon. We have become a soft touch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal