collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by luke95
[Today at 01:21:42 PM]

Re: FFP by eamonn
[Today at 01:21:26 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20863 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
The next few games are critical, we need to show some fight.

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Who are fifth in the league.
They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

And your point is?
Maybe at this time better than the other 15 teams below them.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
The next few games are critical, we need to show some fight.

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Who are fifth in the league.
They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

And your point is?
My point is them being fifth (now) has nothing to do with how bad we were.  It just comes off like an excuse.  If we play that badly again, teams stand a chance of beating us wherever they might be in the table.  I recall you saying before the Leicester game that you could see no reason why we couldn't beat them and they were 2nd at the time (I think I'm right in saying).

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
We coud have beaten them, we could have beaten Leicester. But they're fifth in the table so they're a bit more than average.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2019, 09:50:45 PM »
For the last half a dozen games or so, as well as rooting Jack out on the left, McGinn seems to be have been told to stick to the right.
What coach plays his best 2 players out of position consistently. They should be the heartbeat of that midfield, not gathering dust out wide?!

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
We coud have beaten them, we could have beaten Leicester. But they're fifth in the table so they're a bit more than average.
I didn't say they are average.  They're where they are because they have a solid squad, an effective manager and a system that works well for them.  Not easy to go there and win.  But it shouldn't be beyond us to go up there and play well.  They don't have any intrinsic superiority over us.  It's not the result, it's the performance, which showed no improvement at all from the week before and much of the same inertia from the manager.  Sooner or later we are going to have to start winning tougher fixtures against teams further up the table because I think it's dangerous to assume we'll pick up maximum points from all our more 'winnable' games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
I think a lot of concern is about how we are playing. That looked a very lackluster performance with no pattern, system or strategy evident.
It’s particularly evident when you look at how Leicester and United went about their work in comparison.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
I didn't say they are average. 

The person Dave was replying to did.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:09 PM »
I didn't say they are average. 

The person Dave was replying to did.
Apologies.  I thought he was replying to me.

Online Richie

« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
This might not be popular, but I seriously wouldn’t play a single player in the Liverpool game who we need to be fit and as sharp as possible for the next 3 league games. Lose a couple of them and I struggle to see us digging ourselves out of the bottom 3.

So play the same side as today then?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »

With our league situation and Liverpool's situation with the Club World Cup maybe we could just agree to both teams playing the kids/reserves  ;)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
Absolutely fucking horrible 7 days. Leicester, Election and today. I am going to go and hide in a dark hole till Tuesday.😥😡

Not bothering with the Liverpool game?
Not sure what you are on about😉

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Just back.

Positives, I like Sheffield, good pubs, decent folk, seems a pretty vibrant place. Trains ran on time with minimal overcrowding.

Negatives - everything else.

Thought Hause did ok, pretty much an off day for everyone else. Sheffield were just as shit as us for large parts of the game but sit 5th because they work harder, press in packs and push their full backs right up to the most attacking areas of the field. Much to learn

Don’t think there is anymore to be said, a real off day

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »
How does a really inexperienced manager, at this level anyway, who is only used to success, stop the rot? We are getting worse. Some very poor performances just recently.  Dean is an intelligent guy who needs a rethink.  That said, Lansbury really isn’t the answer Deano!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
If by that you mean play reserves than it’s a no from me. If Dean does that he’s dead to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal