collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 20864 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Sheffield United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2019, 07:46:29 PM »
Conor would have been up for the scrap today. Bringing in Lansbury to play a deep role was another passenger we had to carry and right now our team has far too many. Again, I want to see Taylor away from home and Targett at Villa Park. Though not completely all his fault, our left side defence today was our biggest weakness with both goals coming from that side.

Overall, we look like a random group of players rather than a team. There doesn't appear to be any plan. That needs to change and quick.

Conor isnt mobile enough against the likes of Sheffield. He was awful against Chelsea

He was passed around against Chelsea, such was their quality but when it comes to a nitty-gritty midfield fight, he would have been perfect today. Norwood certainly wouldn't have been given the keys to the park. He also might have helped out bloody Targett on the left, at least pointing him in the right direction.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »
The poster suggested 3-5-2 I think has a good point. I massive supporter off Smith, but he could do with a plan B. We seem to have enough decent centre backs and perfect full backs for this system to at least give it a go in some games. Midfield trio of McGinn, grealish and Nakamba with el ghazi playing off Wes until we can purchase another forward

Offline john2710

« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
The next few games are critical, we need to show some fight.

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »

The fans need to play our part and generate an atmosphere at Villa Park like the Everton game.

We were overloaded time & again on our LHS. Everyone knows how Sheffield play & Smith did nothing to counter it. There were quite a few candidates for worst performer but Marvellous was dreadful!

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »

The key word is 'fight' which we simply don't have. Rolled over by a bang average team today.

Who are fifth in the league.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »
The last three performances have been rubbish frankly. Dean work out other ways of playing.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
I said on the match thread.  I know talk of sacking Dean is seen as lynching territory but you only have to look at today’s opposition to see what a well drilled, tactically aware manager can get from a promoted team.  And they’ve spent £100m less than us.

Try saying sack Smith and you voted Conservative.

It was the Brexit party actually.

Anything can happen in the Premiership, its all about results, if you don't perform then your history, I hope Smith can turn it around and we go on a winning run, all this is just part of the season, somehow I think the worm has turned but I hope to be proved wrong, either way points and games are precious now, and the board should have a plan and even targets in sight to take over. Voting Conservative....I didn't think anybody did I thought it was one of those South American style Junta moves, grabbing power by the rich and powerful, could be wrong on that one also, but as anybody ever found that the atmosphere after an election is so devoid of feeling or interest, back to football, sort it out Smithy.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »

But what Sheffield United have is a work ethic, discipline, application and a togetherness which raises them above their individual merits. We could learn a hell of a lot from them.

We have individual talent but too often, recently at least, we have looked like a bunch of strangers.

Chris Wilder has just said that Dean Smith and his back room staff clapped the Sheffield United players back into their dressing room which is nice. However I'd rather that Dean analysed what it is that Sheffield United do that makes them so effective.

Too many of our players need a rocket up their arses which I'm sure Chris Wilder would not hesitate to deliver.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
So instead of getting better as the season progresses we’re actually getting worse.

Not surprised by the result at all but our performances and those of key players is very worrisome. Big 3 weeks for Dean or it’ll be a big decision for the owners.

Offline steamer

« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
Watched a couple of games today,
Sorry, in my view Team/squad is not good enough to stay up.
Our tactics may be dictated by the players we have, but we seem to have very little change of tactics when the game changes.
Dean has a new contract, so unless the owners are looking to reward him with a package they have faith in him.
some serious intent needed in Jan or we will be renewing our local derby with Small Heath next year.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
A piece on radio 5 today, as I was travelling back, was about teams losing a few on the trot. Both Howe and Dyche said that in this league you have to expect and accept that, as long as you keep the confidence and belief high. They spoke as mid-table managers, with no expectation of greatness.
The challenge for Smith is to accept this and build the belief and confidence in the squad, which - at the moment - looks low.
He also needs to look at himself and deicde whether he and his management team are playing to their strengths and capabilities. I don't - for example - see the influence of Terry in our game.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »

They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »

They are now, having trousered three points without much worry.

And your point is?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
We were awful in the first half today and you just knew what the second half would bring, the same as pretty much every second half away from home. No changes, same team, same tactics concede an early goal and lose.
It looks like DS has no idea what to do at half time, maybe they have a steak dinner and a couple of pints.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
Dean Smith has started to panic, he went into this game playing for a draw like so many under pressure managers. The defence held up well with a good performance from the overlooked Hause but after half time the inevitable happened and I guess we all knew the game was over.

Wesley has been criticised all season myself included but I wonder what centre forward could succeed when they are so isolated, El Ghazi is not up to the premiership as I'm afraid are many of his team mates, we have a decent goalkeeper, right back, central defenders not too bad and Jack, that's less than half a team. My only hope for survival is that management can see this and will go into the market in January, our problems are far deeper than just replacing the centre forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal