collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ron Saunders RIP  (Read 36993 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Ron Saunders RIP
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
Richard Whitehead’s obituary of Saunders will be in The Times tomorrow. I expect it will capture perfectly what the man meant to Villa fans

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
I have this morning emailed the club at fancomplaints@avfc.co.uk to express my anger and disappointment at the Ron Saunders shambolic 'tribute', so I suggest anyone with the same opinion as me might do the same?
Maybe we'd get the club to do something properly?

I've emailed my contact in the corporate department and let her know politely how upset a lot of people are.  I said that it's understandable that as he only died the night before that there was only a short amount of time for putting something in place, so why not do something more fitting for the Southampton or Norwich games?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
It was a disorganized tribute to a man who didn't accept the meaning of the word disorganized. But it was all at short notice. Let's get the statue and the official Ron Saunders day sorted. I expect the old players didn't want to hog the limelight themselves by being on the pitch. As for our management and coaching staff it is disappointing if they were disrespectful but in the minutes around kick off time they have a job to do. If anyone would agree with that it would be Ron Saunders.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »
It was a total shambles that left me seething.
The greatest manager we've ever had to be disrespected like that was something I won't forget.
I do not like this minute's applause nonsense anyway, a minute's silence would have been far more appropriate and you'dve actually heard the referee's whistle.
Shame on you Aston Villa.

Agreed. And the TV footage of it looked terrible - Smith talking and looking at his watch, Terry sitting down, laughing in the dugout. Someone needed to tell them before they went out.

Saunders was 87 and in ill health so there's no excuse for not having at least something half decent planned as a tribute. It left a really bad taste in my mouth 

Agree 100% lads. It was a disgraceful, half arsed and embarrassing ‘tribute’ to the greatest manager this club has ever had. I’m still bloody angry, now 😡😡😡

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
Stunned by the news. RIP Mr. 110%.

I was lucky to have watched his managerial reign from the start to the end. I used to be taken to the Villa by my Dad, and sometimes we would pass by Body Moore heath, and he's park up and we would go in and watch the players training.

The Dennis Mortimer goal v Liverpool, is when we both left the Holte believing, that season.

My Dad once had the nerve one visit to ask Mr. Saunders if he was correct in letting Andy Gray go. Wish I knew what the answer was, I never asked.

Offline danno

« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
No idea how long these things take, but would a statue unveiled May 2nd 2021 be totally beyond the realm of possibility?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
No idea how long these things take, but would a statue unveiled May 2nd 2021 be totally beyond the realm of possibility?

Depends whether we let the people who organised the Three Degrees statute at Albion sort it or not.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
Just to change track a little bit - being born in 1980 I missed out on watching his Villa sides and experiencing the success they had, but as with some of our other successful managers who left the club somewhat prematurely (Graham Taylor probably the main case in point) I guess will always be what might have been had he stayed on?

Would he have been able to build on the success he achieved and really cement the club in the higher reaches of the top flight?  We will never know of course and I guess the goings on at the club at the time meant he probably wouldn't have stayed on for long anyway, but it is just that thought of what might have been had he been at the club longer and had the right support.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
I think the return of HDE would have made Ron's position untenable.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
I still have my Christmas card from 1979 signed by him and Gordon Cowans. In it, he says, "I hope the next year brings much to cheer".

Bloody right it did.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
It was a total shambles that left me seething.
The greatest manager we've ever had to be disrespected like that was something I won't forget.
I do not like this minute's applause nonsense anyway, a minute's silence would have been far more appropriate and you'dve actually heard the referee's whistle.
Shame on you Aston Villa.

Agreed. And the TV footage of it looked terrible - Smith talking and looking at his watch, Terry sitting down, laughing in the dugout. Someone needed to tell them before they went out.

Saunders was 87 and in ill health so there's no excuse for not having at least something half decent planned as a tribute. It left a really bad taste in my mouth 

Agree 100% lads. It was a disgraceful, half arsed and embarrassing ‘tribute’ to the greatest manager this club has ever had. I’m still bloody angry, now 😡😡😡

Agree.
I thought it was very poor and was at least expecting the minutes applause (I prefer silence) to start when the announcer had stopped talking.
Bit like us yesterday. A mess.
There needs to be a proper tribute when the North Stand is renamed.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »
In fairness to the club it's not their fault people started applauding early drowning out the announcer and whistle or that Kasper broke off early because of it.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
I think the return of HDE would have made Ron's position untenable.

Went to a shareholders agm once and sat in the witton lane stand. Think the bendhalls were still the main owners but HDE was also there.  Who walked in and sat directly in front of us but  non other than Sir Ron and two rather large mates.  I remember when Ellis was speaking he turned to one of the blokes with him and said....I see he has brought rent a mob with him.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
End of an era.

RIP

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
Had to pleasure to meat him at Sutton town for a Villa friendly had my picture with him witch made my day.
We will never see the likes of him again RIP Ron and thank you for some off my best times following the Villa (5-1 Liverpool) will always be there in my head till i join Ron in the Holte End in the sky.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal