collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ron Saunders RIP  (Read 37123 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Ron Saunders RIP
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »
I'm too young to remember him (though I remember him going to Blues, weirdly), but he was basically the reason that we're not Preston North End. A giant.

Online stubbsyandy

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »
Just got home and saw this
As many have said, for me the years that I have followed the Villa across the country and abroad with Ron as our manager were and are the golden Villa years of my life.
Whatever happens in the future will be someone elses memories not mine.
Ron was our Busby, Shankly Wrapped into one.
With a runny nose and tears at the age of 63 I feel a fool, but this was a man that stands tall , Peter Morris wrote about looking out across villa park and seeing the old ghosts on parade,legions upon legions  filling the field with claret and blue.
Those legions have found a manger.
I hope he collars Doug tomorrow and sorts him out.
I do not know what else to say, he for me was the epitome of everything I love about  Aston Villa , passion,respect,principals  and love of the club.
I am going to struggle to sleep tonight
Saunders,Saunders,Saunders, Saunders

You have said what I feel...thank you

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2019, 12:08:21 AM »
can you imagine living a life that affects so many people
so influential that when people look back on their own life the greatest moments in it were because of you

so important to them that even after nearly 40 years your passing causes grown men and women to shed tears

what a great man, his family should be very proud of him

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »
Another little piece of my youth gone today. At the time I thought it was always going to be like that as a Villa fan, it’s only with hindsight you realise how special it was. Singing his name on the pitch at Hillsborough when we clinched promotion is one of my top moments as a Villa fan.

RIP Ron.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2019, 12:18:35 AM »
That's a lovely post, steamer.

Rest in peace, Ron.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2019, 12:33:20 AM »
Absolutely gutted. Gave those of us around at the time the best football moments of our lifetime. RIP Ron, my hero.
Should be a minutes silence, tomorrow, but I guess it’ll be a round of applause, as too many can’t stand in silence for sixty seconds, as a proper mark of respect, these days....

Whatever is going on around me tomorrow I will stand silent and still with tears in my eyes in simple respect of the man.  What great times we had. RIP Ron Saunders

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2019, 12:45:13 AM »
Legend. I still remember that day at Highbury. The man was a colossus for this club. Terribly sad news

Offline Damo70

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2019, 01:04:41 AM »
There is a lot of fondness for him on the Small Heath Alliance site. They admired the effort and commitment his Blues sides played with and they particularly loved him for Boxing Day 1982. One comment was "Typical Blues, nick the best manager in the country off the Villa and then don't give him any money to spend!"

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2019, 01:10:23 AM »
Rest in peace Ron... you made us the Kings of Europe utv

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2019, 01:17:12 AM »
I had no idea what was to come when I was taken down to my first game as a ten year old in 1975 . That  this man who demanded 110% from each and every one of us , who we were encouraged to pray to by our then local radio station BRMB’s Tony Butler , “Get on your prayer mats , hail Saunders of the Villa” was the cry when we were getting commentaries from our away games. That this man Would be the most successful at our club that I would ever know and see.
Thank you Ron from the bottom of my heart, like many on here I’ve shed a tear and will no doubt do the same tomorrow. What makes me saddest is that in your later years of life our club couldn’t have honoured you whilst you still remembered it.
Please Dean Smith be the man that my children can be saying the same things about in 45 years time.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2019, 01:21:19 AM »
The very best manager, who demanded the very best from his players. As others have said, our Shankley, our Busby, our Revie and someone that every new Villa supporter needs to be aware of. He gave us highs that we have never seen since, and very likely won’t see again, and for that we are grateful. Goodnight Mr 110%, and thank you.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2019, 01:54:34 AM »
can you imagine living a life that affects so many people
so influential that when people look back on their own life the greatest moments in it were because of you

so important to them that even after nearly 40 years your passing causes grown men and women to shed tears

what a great man, his family should be very proud of him

I like this post alot, John.

Well said.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2019, 02:27:52 AM »
Despite what the 80-83 side achieved the 76/77 was probably the best, certainly most exciting, Villa side in my time even if I didn't fully appreciate just how good it was as I was on 7 at the time. Takes some doing to build 2 great sides.

What a slog of a double marathon the League Cup semis and finals must've been in 76/77! We'll never see that again.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2019, 03:05:53 AM »
Thanks Ron for being a huge part of Villa's history and for creating some of my most enjoyable teenage memories.

Finally reunited with Tony...Shankly and Paisley won't be winning Heaven's Premier League this season.

Holte Enders in the sky is going to be sung with such emotion tomorrow.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:11 AM »
"Ron Saunders died at 15:00 GMT on Saturday and his family have asked for their privacy to be respected at such a difficult time," a club statement said.

He died at kick off time.  Legend.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal