collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21878 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
I think at the very least we certainly continued to show we won't be whipping boys at this level.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2019, 11:51:23 PM »
I think at the very least we certainly continued to show we won't be whipping boys at this level.

The -2 GD after nearly half a season certainly indicates that.

Will be a nice little buffer for us in the closing weeks.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
Until he popped up with the equaliser I genuinely didn't know Trez was playing.

He touched the ball three times before then.
He scored with his 4th touch. Not bad.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans.

With a strong supporting role from the donkey

Offline olaftab

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2019, 12:00:32 AM »
Mahmoud Hasan is unlucky. He scores we lose so we must stop him from scoring😆

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2019, 12:03:39 AM »
I’m not Wesley’s biggest fan but I thought he did well tonight.

This is why I'm highly dubious of new posters.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:43 AM »
Hause deserves a chance at Left back. He was excellent there last season. He would also add height and strength at the back. He was MOTM against Wolves in the Carabao Cup.

He was back in the squad for the last couple of games, but was dropped for Taylor on the bench tonight.

I've said it before but Taylor should be playing the away games and Targett the home games. Targett can't defend, Taylor can't attack. I know who would have been the better player tonight. As for Hause, I like him, he looked like he could do both but that was in the Championship. Physically, he's got it, Chelsea pushed us off the ball every time but it's so long since I've seen him play there, I can't remember if he'd be able to step up.

In the summer a new left back should be on our shopping list.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2019, 12:19:20 AM »
Think Dean Smith and the coaching staff got it wrong tonight.  We were far too open in midfield at times tonight and in games like that away from home, we need to go with Luiz and Nakamba.  Hourihane is far too lightweight to compete against those type of sides and they just strolled past him at will.

We may be able to play with just the one holding midfielder against the poorer sides in the league, but we need to be a lot stronger in there when we come up against the better sides.

Luiz was woeful away at Wolves next to Nakamba, they both were really. His effort to stop Traore for the winning Wolves goal was as bad if not worse than anything Hourihane did tonight. Don't think Luiz can have any complaints about being dropped. Much better performance tonight when he came in but a long way to go before he is a nailed on starter for me.

Irrespective of who we have in midfield, we are very easy to play against. That's a big problem and a real lack of pace all over the pitch. Only AEG and Mings stand out as genuinely quick. Targett and Hourihane are snail like when turned. Tonight our press was severely limited as Trez and Wes are one paced.

Agree to some extent, but I just think we would be more solid with those two in there (could even try Konsa in there and bring Engels back in).  As I said, not for every game, but I would be in favour of going that way in games like tonight.

It is a bit down the list of priorities come January, but a quality mobile, combative midfielder to go in there alongside Marvellous or Douglas could be a shrewd signing.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »
Vill I An do you work as a FOREX trader during the day?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
Thought the score line flattered us a little, they were so much sharper, quicker and organised when pressing. They were great at passing and creating opportunities between our lines

Lots of Championship players from last year in their team, hope we can match them soon but that time wasn’t tonight.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2019, 03:28:33 AM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

Don't agree on Wesley. I don’t expect him to do miracles but I do expect him to hold the ball up occasionally and take a bit of pressure of us as surely that’s why he’s there. Does he look a goal threat, no and McGinn needs dropping eh 🙄

Mate, seriously, if you have ever played centre forward and all you get is the ball whacked up to you, high in the air and you are on your own, I defy anyone to do any better.  Yes, I want him to push people over and compete, show more bollocks, but the way we play, does him no favours either.  He does need more physicality but he is NOT totally at fault.

But we don't just whack the ball up to him. Okay tonight we were limited but we haven't played like that every game.
the thing that pissed me off about us the most tonight, is that we really had to fight and compete for the ball and we did that, but on the times where we did win it and get forward in to good positions, it would either be a shit or wrong final ball in, or the forwards were making the wrong runs. The one time we got it right, we scored.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2019, 05:06:35 AM »
Mahmoud Hasan is unlucky. He scores we lose so we must stop him from scoring😆
Best outfield villa player tonight
Attacking wise always offers a potential threat

9 starts 3 goals.
Come season end everyone here will be raving about him.
I already recognise his ability .
Pleased for you

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2019, 05:43:46 AM »
Wes needs some time out of the team. We’ve got so many games coming up and he hasn’t put Kodjia on, it’s an odd one. I know Kodjia probably isn’t the answer but you’d think he’d be using him as a sub, particularly when Wes is not playing well.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »
Chelsea were faster stronger and in control for most of the game, if nothing else it showed that we need to strengthen in January as we may be competitive with those who themselves are facing relegation but are a long way off having the quality to match it with the better squads.
Grealish was well held for most of the game and when he isn't dominant we struggle, the defence were given the run around and we were lucky not to concede more. A key positive for me was we have got ourselves a pretty good goalkeeper.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
2nd half Chelsea were far better than us (it does seem to be re-occurring theme regarding 2nd half performances)

They stopped Grealish playing, which meant that we lost most of our creativity.

Pulisic ran Elmo ragged, and Chelsea's midfield and their passing and movement was too good for us, and if was not for Heaton (my man of the match) it could have 4 or 5 - 1

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal