collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:17:11 AM]

FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:16:52 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Rotterdam
[Today at 11:10:00 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by chrisw1
[Today at 11:06:04 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:17:11 AM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:16:52 AM]

Re: FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:15:56 AM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:14:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:13:41 AM]

Re: FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:12:40 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:12:32 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 11:10:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 463237 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »
If we had Aguero  / Vardy / Messi

It would not matter as we are expecting our striker to spend most of the game facing the wrong way looking at his own players that are not even within 25ft of them.

I appreciate that even my patience is wearing thin with Wes but fuck me he gets no support at all and is feeding off lumps of balls up to him

We need to change our play before we look for another striker
The same was said about Hogan.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
Would Marc Albrighton come back? Pacey, hard worker and good crosser of the ball.

Demarai Gray at the same club hasn't kicked on as expected either but surely has the ability to come good again.
Who would Marc cross the ball too exactly?

Well, I'm assuming that our first and most important signing is a new forward. But we do need competition out wide aswell. An option that can be trusted to put a shift in.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »

Someone told me last night he'd heard Benrahma is nailed on. I'm not convinced he's the answer mind.

A striker, maybe two if we can offload Kodjia for some cash is absolutely beyond essential.

Kodjia is out of contract in the summer, as is Chester. Any fee we get for either of them in Jan will be nominal only.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »

Someone told me last night he'd heard Benrahma is nailed on. I'm not convinced he's the answer mind.

A striker, maybe two if we can offload Kodjia for some cash is absolutely beyond essential.

Kodjia is out of contract in the summer, as is Chester. Any fee we get for either of them in Jan will be nominal only.

Better something in January than nothing in the summer then

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:33 PM »
Would Marc Albrighton come back? Pacey, hard worker and good crosser of the ball.

Demarai Gray at the same club hasn't kicked on as expected either but surely has the ability to come good again.

Well, I'm assuming that our first and most important signing is a new forward. But we do need competition out wide aswell. An option that can be trusted to put a shift in.

Why would Marc leave a team competing for a title to compete for a place in a side battling relegation ?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
Because he's often a sub these days for Leicester and he is Villa in the blood.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
He politely laughed when asked the question on Sunday and said "maybe one day".

He could be playing Champions league next season so as much as he loves us he also wants what is best for his career

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »

It would not matter as we are expecting our striker to spend most of the game facing the wrong way looking at his own players that are not even within 25ft of them.

I appreciate that even my patience is wearing thin with Wes but fuck me he gets no support at all and is feeding off lumps of balls up to him

This is really just a side-note but I used to play as a winger for a university side. I had crazy acceleration and was a decent crosser but I had 0 stamina so I would bust a gut for 60 minutes of every game, tearing down the right flank and whipping in crosses again and again, and we had a big old lump of a striker who could never do anything, he'd fail to connect or fall over in the box or fail to attack the ball in the air etc. etc. and I was always ending up crippled for the rest of the week because I'd push myself too hard to finish the game or keep going, trying to play provider.

Eventually the coach had enough, dropped him and put me in as striker. You'll do better than him and won't have to break yourself in the process, he says.

All of which is to say, there's feck all point in Jack or John or Ghazi or whoever playing beautiful through balls or whipping in crosses to someone who isn't there, because the funny thing about it is, they look quite silly doing so. The difference between a world-class assist and a wasted pass to the opposition keeper is having a player you can trust in front of you. I don't care what Smith says, these lads know Wesley is largely useless. Which explains why they're suddenly playing with bugger all confidence.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »

I am a big fan

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »

This is really just a side-note but I used to play as a winger for a university side. I had crazy acceleration and was a decent crosser but I had 0 stamina so I would bust a gut for 60 minutes of every game, tearing down the right flank and whipping in crosses again and again, and we had a big old lump of a striker who could never do anything, he'd fail to connect or fall over in the box or fail to attack the ball in the air etc. etc. and I was always ending up crippled for the rest of the week because I'd push myself too hard to finish the game or keep going, trying to play provider.

Eventually the coach had enough, dropped him and put me in as striker. You'll do better than him and won't have to break yourself in the process, he says.

All of which is to say, there's feck all point in Jack or John or Ghazi or whoever playing beautiful through balls or whipping in crosses to someone who isn't there, because the funny thing about it is, they look quite silly doing so. The difference between a world-class assist and a wasted pass to the opposition keeper is having a player you can trust in front of you. I don't care what Smith says, these lads know Wesley is largely useless. Which explains why they're suddenly playing with bugger all confidence.

I'm feeling a little  nervous, I wonder if you studied at my university!

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »
In the summer there was 3 large transfer fees for tall strikers ,Wes at us ,Haller at West Ham and Jolinton at Newcastle ..none of them are performing ..is it maybe that teams just know how to deal with that type of striker easily now ..or all 3 just need more time to settle .

In Wes case he needs dropping and used as a sub for a while he is not going to play his way into form.My concern is he just looks so raw still . He doesn't know how to use his body to hold of the ball or win free kicks ,for such a big player in the air he wins very little ..I can't recall a single decent headed attempt by him at goal .He long range shooting isn't up to much either

He may come good but at moment he is more hinderance  than help..ElGahzi upfront would offer more and he can run with ball and can shoot from distance

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
Or maybe they are all crap.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
Said to a guy at work today,  Moutinho style signing or two is exactly what we need. Someone with a bit of class and experience who can help on the pitch with game management.

Pedro would be a good match, Fellaini (not that I have ever rated him as such) could be another. Also in defence we need a John Terry to help the young lads out.

Chester could be that player if he ever gets back to fitness.

Up front, Glenn Murray/Javier Hernandez/Defoe (I’m struggling??) but someone again with a bit of nous who knows what they are doing up there.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Eric Dier for midfield? We need premier league experience. Pedro too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:54:31 PM by Newby »

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
Batshayi being linked form chelsea. Id be delighted with this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal