collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has our Marketing Improved?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
Has our Marketing Improved?
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
It seems to me it has and quite a bit.  Okay, crowds are going to be up with a promotion, even so, history has shown us that these fall off if the team starts doing poorly.  It doesn't appear to be the case these days. We also appear to be attracting more kids.  Not just kids of long time suffering parents but kids generally.

For example.  My daughter lives and works in Oxford.  I've taken her a few times to Villa Park when she was younger, she thought it too loud and didn't really get football even though she's been to a few more games in her late teens and early 20s . If someone asked her who was her team she'd say Villa and not have a clue what position or division we were in.  She gets the rivalry thing between us and our neighbours which is a good thing as one of the house supports the other lot.  The other day she was talking to a colleague who happened to be a Spurs fan who told her that his son also supported Villa.  "How can that happen" she inquired.  It transpired that he had taken him to a few games to Tottenham but his son was bored and didn't feel anything, no excitement, no involvement, nothing.  Hi son liked football so hearing about the 'fun days' at Villa Park he took him along. Straight away he was hooked.  Enthralled by the lion mascots, the games and kick abouts and whatever they do.  Then the game, loved the atmosphere and intensity and the immensity of the Holte End.  Then told his Dad..."I'm a Villa fan, I'm sorry Dad but I am"  His Dad has accepted it so takes him.  Apparently, he also gives a big "Yesss" too if he hears Blues have gone a goal down.  Well done the marketing team!

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Has our Marketing Improved?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
It seems to me it has and quite a bit.  Okay, crowds are going to be up with a promotion, even so, history has shown us that these fall off if the team starts doing poorly.  It doesn't appear to be the case these days. We also appear to be attracting more kids.  Not just kids of long time suffering parents but kids generally.

For example.  My daughter lives and works in Oxford.  I've taken her a few times to Villa Park when she was younger, she thought it too loud and didn't really get football even though she's been to a few more games in her late teens and early 20s . If someone asked her who was her team she'd say Villa and not have a clue what position or division we were in.  She gets the rivalry thing between us and our neighbours which is a good thing as one of the house supports the other lot.  The other day she was talking to a colleague who happened to be a Spurs fan who told her that his son also supported Villa.  "How can that happen" she inquired.  It transpired that he had taken him to a few games to Tottenham but his son was bored and didn't feel anything, no excitement, no involvement, nothing.  Hi son liked football so hearing about the 'fun days' at Villa Park he took him along. Straight away he was hooked.  Enthralled by the lion mascots, the games and kick abouts and whatever they do.  Then the game, loved the atmosphere and intensity and the immensity of the Holte End.  Then told his Dad..."I'm a Villa fan, I'm sorry Dad but I am"  His Dad has accepted it so takes him.  Apparently, he also gives a big "Yesss" too if he hears Blues have gone a goal down.  Well done the marketing team!

This is great to hear on many levels.

One of them is knowing that a Spurs fan has to sit in Villa Park looking gormless on a regular basis while his son sings along to Allez Allez Allez about us conquering Europe in 1982!

But seriously, I echo the well done. I do think things are improving in that area. There's a lot we could do better as a club, but have to applaud progress where we see it.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
I was a victim/success of freezing ST sales, creating a waiting list, creating the appearance of the difficulty of getting match by match tix -> selling lots more STs.

When I joined the waiting list it was really with future seasons ahead, but I happily allowed myself to get sucked in after the high of Wembley. I imagine  I’m not the only one this happened to.

My Mrs might be less happy (not unreasonably given our context) but I think that was some very smart marketing decision making.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
I think it is a lot better, especially the social media side for the first team. Women's coverage is OK. U23s needs a lot of improvement.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
Got to say that the family zone is really well done - our little one loves it, it’s connecting her to the club and means we end up spending a lot more on a match day. It’s also nice that they allow away fans in there, on Boxing Day there were quite a few Norwich fans in there and they all seemed to think it was great.

There are still things that need sorting out (calling the ticket office is painfully slow most times), but the match day experience for young fans is really positive.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:25:56 PM »
Got to say that the family zone is really well done - our little one loves it, it’s connecting her to the club and means we end up spending a lot more on a match day. It’s also nice that they allow away fans in there, on Boxing Day there were quite a few Norwich fans in there and they all seemed to think it was great.

There are still things that need sorting out (calling the ticket office is painfully slow most times), but the match day experience for young fans is really positive.

I also love it when there are a few away kids - it’s good for kids to learn the opposition fans are not your mortal enemy!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal