collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What the Villa Are Still Capable of doing to me....  (Read 4625 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

What the Villa Are Still Capable of doing to me....
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
It’s fair to say in the grand scheme of things I care a little bit less about football in general than I did 20 or even 10 years ago.

However, try as I might, the Villa still have the ability to completely ruin my mood, my day, my night or my weekend.  Take last weekend.  Celebrating my 50th in the west of Ireland.  Superb weekend.  As my flight back to Birmingham took off it was still 0-0 with 35 gone.  Then the sinking feeling as I land at a freezing cold airport waiting for a transfer bus knowing they’ve done it to me again.  They’ve done a ‘Villa’ on me. 

Am I alone with these issues?  Do I just need to relax more?  One piece of advice I have taken is to end any notion of listening to ten crackpot octogenarians phoning WM every night talking shit whilst sounding like they’ve taken a helium balloon prior to the call.  Rant over.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: What the Villa Are Still Capable of doing to me....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
kippaxvilla2, first of all congratulations on your 50th.

I'm the same, its not so intense for me now I'm living in NZ as I can come into work after a defeat and no-one would have any idea that Villa lost. That doesn't mean that my mood is affected by Villa not winning because it is, it is just easier to shy away from it for me.

On the other hand, I miss going to see Villa live immensly and whereas I did travel over and went to the game v Bournemouth this season, I sometimes feel that I am suffering alone. 

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »
At least you've got your summer to look forward to :-)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
Kippax, happy birthday, mate.

I know how you feel. They can quite easily ruin my weekend. I'll echo what JD has said above about intensity. But now Villa are back in the Premier League, and all my students at uni know I support them, there'll be some smart arse who walks in and tells me that they lost.
(And man utd, Liverpool et al won)

They definitely won't be passing the module.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:50:17 PM »
Ruins my weekend much too often but like every addict I want more

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
Happy 50th Kippax.  I'm really glad someone else has written this because I feel the same way.

It's easier i'm sure as I dont have those gloating Nose/Baggies pricks around me if we lose but the Villa are constantly on my mind.  H & V is fantastic as it helps me keep in touch with other Villa fans and get a great insight into whats really going on but it's also become a bit of an addiction at the same time.  Part of it is because of the nostalgia, it's me reliving my younger self when I had a season ticket for years and keeps my connection going with the midlands in general.  After 14 years out of the country and 24 years out of the midlands it's a whole new breed of politicians and celebrities that you've no connection with, for instance players make their debuts in Test cricket and Rugby that you've never heard of. But the Villa is my constant connection.

Because of the kick off times (3pm Saturday is 1am Sunday here) sleep is fitful at best when the Villa are playing and i'm usually always watching the game from a spare room or under the duvet on my phone trying not to wake Mrs Ozvilla. If you think a 94th minute winners or defeats are exhilarating or crushing at 5pm imagine them at 3am!  I'm a complete addict but I love it.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:51:42 AM »
I am now 55, and having been going for 45+ years, if we lose, I get frustrated and do vent my anger but to be honest I do not let it ruin my weekend, as I feel that would be unfair on my wife and family, and in recent seasons we lose so frequently, you would not have many good weekends!

The only time I got angry was in 1980 - when we lost to West Ham in the FA Cup (14 years of age and convinced we would win the cup), my Dad gave me a clip around the ear / head and told me to grow up!

Having said that at Wembley in May, I did shed a few tears at the final whistle!

I will love this club until my last breath.

UTV
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:45:11 AM by sid1964 »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
I don’t get too carried away one way or another in fact I’m usually over a defeat 5 minutes after the final whistle these days. It wasn’t always like this but a couple of tough years a while back gave me a much better perspective on the relative importance of Aston Villa in my life.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
I get disappointed when we don't win but as I get older I don't let ruin my week I always think we will be better the next game so I'm optimistic about us.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
I am now 55, and having been going for 45+ years, if we lose, I get frustrated and do vent my anger but to be honest I do not let it ruin my weekend, as I feel that would be unfair on my wife and family, and in recent seasons we lose so frequently, you would not have many good weekends!

The only time I got angry was in 1980 - when we lost to West Ham in the FA Cup (14 years of age and convinced we would win the cup), my Dad gave me a clip around the ear / head and told me to grow up!

Having said that at Wembley in May, I did shed a few tears at the final whistle!

UTV

Hi Sid this is me all over...I'm 56 and I don't let the Villa ruin my week/weekend  :)

UTV
The Doc

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
I am now 55.....

UTV

I’m 55 too & I still think that quarter final was the most upset I’ve ever been over a Villa match - neither relegation or any lost Wembley final has matched it.

Lately since moving away from Birmingham I actually get a bit more fed up because of the time and money invested in it - it makes me question it more. When I question if it’s worth it, that makes me feel really anxious.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
There's so much excitement around the team after promotion this year, that the highs seem a lot higher, but the lows really hurt and defeat really pisses me off, especially in the way we have been doing with silly mistakes and crap last minute goals.  Wolves is the most pissed off I've been for ages, because, a) it was to those Dingle bastards, and b) every single player had an absolute stinker.  In just about every other match we've competed but we just didn't turn up for that. 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »

UTV

I bet my bottom dollar given the time you have been going there was more than West Ham 80 that under your skin. That was one game where I was happy to get home from btw xxx

Offline sid1964

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »
There have been lots of games that have got under my skin (such as Coventry at home under Atkinson, the year we should have won the title), but the West Ham game is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
There have been lots of games that have got under my skin (such as Coventry at home under Atkinson, the year we should have won the title), but the West Ham game is the one that sticks out in my mind.

I have supported the Villa for 56 years - I have fallen out of love with football in general mainly down to money and sky and the fixation on the so called 'big clubs' (Sky coverage on Sunday was all about Liverpool/Man City before, during half time and immediately after the Wolves game. We were mainly ignored apart from the actual game. But having fallen out of love with football in general I have not fallen out of love with the Villa and I will continue to go for as long as I am fit to do so and still get the occasional high like the Play Off final at Wembley where I shed a few tears. I'm sure at the time Sky would have liked Frank's team to have won just like they were immensely disappointed when we beat Liverpool in Steven Gerrard's semi-final.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal