collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 31718 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
Another thing Our use of corners and free kicks is abysmal.

Absolutely. I’m pretty sure we haven’t scored a headed goal yet in league games this season , which tells you a lot.

On the other hand, the last two goals that we have scored have been from a free kick and a corner.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:11 PM »
I'm beginning to think we actually bought quite badly in the summer with the exception of Hause - who I really rate - Engles, Heaton and Marvelous. The jury is out for me on Konsa because i still think we should have bought another forward with the money. Fred in January was a great buy.

Hause hasn't started a league game yet in fairness. Agreed on Engels, Nakamba and Guilbert. Konsa for me showed enough promise yesterday for a serious question to be asked as to who should partner Mings. Heaton has been ok and nothing more. Trez is a bit meh, 2 goals last 2 games mind.

It's our three big money signings that have disappointed, Luiz clearly has the ability but hasn't nailed a place yet. Wes and Targett seem out of their depth. 15m for Southamptons reserve left back is starting to look a crazy decision. Two crucial positions where alternatives include Taylor and Kodjia.

Jota isn't up to the top division either but more of a backup anyway.

I'm no fan of Taylor, but Targett was abysmal yesterday.   The worst left back performance since Taylor at Wigan last season.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
I'm beginning to think we actually bought quite badly in the summer with the exception of Hause - who I really rate - Engles, Heaton and Marvelous. The jury is out for me on Konsa because i still think we should have bought another forward with the money. Fred in January was a great buy.

Hause hasn't started a league game yet in fairness. Agreed on Engels, Nakamba and Guilbert. Konsa for me showed enough promise yesterday for a serious question to be asked as to who should partner Mings. Heaton has been ok and nothing more. Trez is a bit meh, 2 goals last 2 games mind.

It's our three big money signings that have disappointed, Luiz clearly has the ability but hasn't nailed a place yet. Wes and Targett seem out of their depth. 15m for Southamptons reserve left back is starting to look a crazy decision. Two crucial positions where alternatives include Taylor and Kodjia.

I'm no fan of Taylor, but Targett was abysmal yesterday.   The worst left back performance since Taylor at Wigan last season.

Agree, he was dreadful.

I half thought he was over egging his injury to get subbed.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »

We have a long list of poor left backs. I compared him to Nicky Shorey during the match thread. Stephen Warnock at the end spent more time on the ground than competing with his opponent.

Targett appeared to lack bottle from the first few minutes. Think it was Doherty that strolled inside him into the box without any attempt of a tackle for a shot with his left. after about three minutes. Of a local derby game. Nowhere near good enough and even Neil Taylor showed him up when he came on (no fan either but at least he competed).

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »
Well in that case we didn't buy badly. Signing 4 good players in one TW is actually very good. No club has only ever bought gems in one window and no club is without it's fails and absolute turds. . It will take time.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2019, 10:44:12 PM »
SJM just hasn't been at the races for a few games now.
Since the last international break. Forthwith we should stop him from turning out for them lot up there.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2019, 02:41:36 AM »

I think that's a bit unfair. We brought what, 11-12 players in and there was always going to be a couple who didn't hit the ground running or who didn't look great. As for Konza, he's only played cup games up until yesterday so to say the jury is out because you think we should have used the money to buy a striker is unfair as well. We brought them in as one on the future as well as staying in the league.

We need to build a squad as well as a starting XI.  Agree that some are not going to work out and will have to be replaced, but should be better bench options than we have had before. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
It just seems that the forward line play as individuals with little cohesion without Grealish.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
Well in that case we didn't buy badly. Signing 4 good players in one TW is actually very good. No club has only ever bought gems in one window and no club is without it's fails and absolute turds. . It will take time.

I agree. It's way too early to judge because they're all new to the club, new to each other and mainly new to the league so it will take time and all of them have shown signs of having enough to be able to play in this league, some to do quite well. They're mainly all young too. Compare to some of the young players we took a punt on 5 years ago or so and there's no comparison.

The only one that i'm unsure will make it at the moment is Jota, he's got some skill but a total lack of pace and strength means he's going to struggle. Age wise he's at his peak too so can't see him improving. In fairness though, i think that deal was already done before we went up and he would have been an excellent alternate option for Grealish in the championship (we saw how we struggled when he was out last season) so it did make sense.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
I agree that Jota has looked off the pace but if he was carrying this injury for a while I think I'd like to see him play some games now he's had his op before I make a call either way. Hopefully he'll show us that the injury was limiting him more than we'd like and he can step up and be a genuine option on the right wing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
I agree that Jota has looked off the pace but if he was carrying this injury for a while I think I'd like to see him play some games now he's had his op before I make a call either way. Hopefully he'll show us that the injury was limiting him more than we'd like and he can step up and be a genuine option on the right wing.

He just looks extremely lightweight and powder puff.  He's probably provide more quality balls than Trezeguet or El Ghazi, but even less in the way of cover for Guilbert.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »

He just looks extremely lightweight and powder puff.  He's probably provide more quality balls than Trezeguet or El Ghazi, but even less in the way of cover for Guilbert.

I agree, I'm just hoping there might be more to come.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »

Nothing is that bad.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »

when we were all arguing after the first few games of the season which one to play in Taylor or Target

I think it was you who said ‘if we have bought a left back that is no better than Taylor in we have just pissed 12m up the wall’

which I think still holds true

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Why do we write players off so quickly. Target was poor on Sunday, but has played well in some other games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal