collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:03:36 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:59:44 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 31977 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
We don't help ourselves playing two light weight wingers.

Our attacking three don't really have pace, trickery or strength which is worrying. They're all a bit Meh.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Another thing Our use of corners and free kicks is abysmal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »
We had a disrupted build up to the game and were very much second best on the day. We just need to move on and play better next game.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »

Absolutely. I’m pretty sure we haven’t scored a headed goal yet in league games this season , which tells you a lot.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »

We deservedly lost but it's disappointing to read people talking about Smith needing to go.

I dont think one single person has said that.

LukeJames, there's conversation earlier in this thread intimating it, with others suggesting he deserves at least this year. We're all entitled to voice our opinions, of course, I just found it a bit deflating.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
Not sure what my neighbours must think but I was screaming at the TV so hard I think the paint came off the walls. The amount of time we give the ball back is unbelievable - not just one of two players but nearly all of them and the worst yesterday was Nakamba - for everything he does well, breaking up play and interceptions he then inexplicably gives it straight back to the opposition

McGinn without Jack is anonymous or as we saw yesterday actually piss poor at times.
Luiz - complete passenger and deserves to lose his place for that pathetic attempt to stop Adama.
Trez - don't wave your arms around at supporters when you scored in the 92nd minute - what about the other 89 minutes you did fuck all.
Targett - grow some balls
Wesley - yes he should do better but fuck me someone start getting within 20 yards of his when he gets the ball

Smith - love the bloke and you can see he is not happy but only he can change it

I really think we have the players to suit a 352 formation

Engels    Mings     Haus

Guilbert                                     Targett

Nakamba

McGinn           Grealish               Hourihane

Wesley   

Not sure if the Manager would swap his original plan but something needs to change     

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
I'm beginning to think we actually bought quite badly in the summer with the exception of Hause - who I really rate - Engles, Heaton and Marvelous. The jury is out for me on Konsa because i still think we should have bought another forward with the money. Fred in January was a great buy.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
The only poor looking buys at the moment appear to be for me Wesley, Targett and Luiz. None of them are solid enough.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »

Absolutely. I’m pretty sure we haven’t scored a headed goal yet in league games this season , which tells you a lot.

We also appear to have one of the shorter teams in the division so I don't think it's a coincidence really. Very vulnerable in the air defensively for the same reason

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »
I'm beginning to think we actually bought quite badly in the summer with the exception of Hause - who I really rate - Engles, Heaton and Marvelous. The jury is out for me on Konsa because i still think we should have bought another forward with the money. Fred in January was a great buy.

Hause hasn't started a league game yet in fairness. Agreed on Engels, Nakamba and Guilbert. Konsa for me showed enough promise yesterday for a serious question to be asked as to who should partner Mings. Heaton has been ok and nothing more. Trez is a bit meh, 2 goals last 2 games mind.

It's our three big money signings that have disappointed, Luiz clearly has the ability but hasn't nailed a place yet. Wes and Targett seem out of their depth. 15m for Southamptons reserve left back is starting to look a crazy decision. Two crucial positions where alternatives include Taylor and Kodjia.

Jota isn't up to the top division either but more of a backup anyway.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
I thought wolves were very good at stopping Trez and El Ghazi from finding any space off their wings. It meant there was no room beyond them for our fullbacks to exploit and also isolated our centre forward. Even if Jota had been fit enough to come in for Grealish, it would've been a different game, but with neither we had next to nothing to disrupt that back line of theirs.

Offline VWBelgian

« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
Play 12 games with the same tactics as a newly promoted team? If you are not a top 6 team with top players, you should tweak and adjust youre tactics as per opponent i think...

Start with defense play and make Villa park a fortress. Away games you can push and free play to attack. To little changes in de last 3 months really. I know its a new team, new league but they have to learn... Always same mistakes, low pace / low energy in the last 15 minutes.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »

I think that's a bit unfair. We brought what, 11-12 players in and there was always going to be a couple who didn't hit the ground running or who didn't look great. As for Konza, he's only played cup games up until yesterday so to say the jury is out because you think we should have used the money to buy a striker is unfair as well. We brought them in as one on the future as well as staying in the league.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »

Have you forgotten about Mings?

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »

We deservedly lost but it's disappointing to read people talking about Smith needing to go.

Completely agree with you Nelly. There are posts in the thread ‘just putting it out there’ about Smith etc, it’s really quite depressing after just 12 games. Since O’Neil left in 2010 can anyone remember a better time as a villa fan than after Smith came in last year , other than a rocky patch in January & February. Even with mixed results since being promoted, villa park is rocking like I haven’t known it in well over a decade if not more and to an extent that’s down to Smith. That’s not to say he can live off that for ever, but we’re in early November, I really think some people need to get a grip.

In terms of some of the new players. I thought Targett was poor yesterday but that’s the only bad game I’ve seen him have for us, so we need to give him a break. Before yesterday I was quite excited about our centre mid area and am still optimistic that McGinn & Nakamba can form a really good partnership. I’m far more concerned about Luiz. In the cup game against wolves his passing range was head and shoulders above everyone else, but he was lightweight for their goal and even worse yesterday, didn’t look interested at times & although he has more skill than Hourihane or Lansbury I’d be tempted to bring one of them in for newcastle, if nothing else to show Luiz he needs to change his attitude.

Wesley needs help not replacing.

If we need 40 points this season which is debatable, think we’ll need something like 7 wins and 7 draws leaving room for around 12 defeats. Would need a better win ratio than 1st quarter of season but do able

I dont think one single person has said that.

LukeJames, there's conversation earlier in this thread intimating it, with others suggesting he deserves at least this year. We're all entitled to voice our opinions, of course, I just found it a bit deflating.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal