collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Ron Saunders Stand  (Read 8434 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The Ron Saunders Stand
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
It’s all a bit “Wolves”.

And Man United, Liverpool, Celtic, Newcastle, Man City, Rangers and absolutely loads of teams other than sodding Wolves. What a bizarre thing to post, sounds like you're as obsessed with them as they are with us. That's before we even talk about clubs as big as Inter and Ajax having whole grounds named after players.

I'd be delighted to celebrate a glorious part of our history and have the stand named after Ron.

Oh alright, keep your knickers on!

I will, but only because they're so comfy. Not because of you 😡

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:20 PM »
Legion, could you add a poll to gauge the overall feelings please

Will do. Any suggestions as to options?

Ron Saunders Stand

Ron Saunders statue

Saunders and Barton Stand

Nothing required

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »
It’s all a bit “Wolves”.

And Man United, Liverpool, Celtic, Newcastle, Man City, Rangers and absolutely loads of teams other than sodding Wolves. What a bizarre thing to post, sounds like you're as obsessed with them as they are with us. That's before we even talk about clubs as big as Inter and Ajax having whole grounds named after players.

I'd be delighted to celebrate a glorious part of our history and have the stand named after Ron.

Why should we follow the example of any of the tinpot outfits you mentioned? We have our St. Herbert stand. That's all we need.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2019, 11:22:41 AM »
That isn't going far enough for me. I'd petition the council to change the name of the road from Witton Lane to The Saint Doug of Bicycle Kick Super Highway.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »
We need to keep a stand free for 20 years time when Dean Smith has retired and left us with a Fergie-esc legacy

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
Apart from the good views, it's a shit, obsolete stand with no legroom which is woefully unqualified to bear the name 'Ron Saunders'.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »
I’d definitely name it after him when it’s re-developed, but I wouldn’t give him that horrible stand as it is now.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »
I'm not keen on the idea of naming stands after people. For a start you are limited to four stands, and so just four people. Of course, Ron Saunders is arguably one of the four most significant figures in the history of the club at this point in time, but why accept that will always be the case? Much better in my opinion to have suites, bars, lounges and statues named after people.

Naming stands after people interrupts the continuous lineage from them being banks of earth, as well as the ground being located in a specific place, with a particular relationship to its surroundings, rather than a spaceship that has just landed there. I would extend this to the North stand being called the North Stand rather than the Witton End also. Of course it exists at the north end of the ground, but that is not relevant to your experience of being there. It being at the Witton end of the ground is much more relevant and therefore natural.

I suppose I also have a problem with the act of naming stands, rather than them being known as what they have always been known as, and this being somewhat mysterious and shrouded in history. Essentially I don't need Villa Park to be a theme park, I need it to be a mythical place that goes down through the ages. If we were to relocate to another site, and had to invent the history to a certain extent, then the situation might be different.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
A statue is long overdue in my opinion. As someone who was aged 15 when he arrived I can safely say that in my lifetime  of support I have never seen another manager of our club that has come anywhere near to his achivements.

As for younger supporters being unaware of his stature , that simply reinforces the need for a statue.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »
A statue is long overdue in my opinion. As someone who was aged 15 when he arrived I can safely say that in my lifetime  of support I have never seen another manager of our club that has come anywhere near to his achivements.

As for younger supporters being unaware of his stature , that simply reinforces the need for a statue.

Do you want to bet against this ?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:16 PM »
I'm not keen on the idea of naming stands after people. For a start you are limited to four stands, and so just four people. Of course, Ron Saunders is arguably one of the four most significant figures in the history of the club at this point in time, but why accept that will always be the case? Much better in my opinion to have suites, bars, lounges and statues named after people.

Naming stands after people interrupts the continuous lineage from them being banks of earth, as well as the ground being located in a specific place, with a particular relationship to its surroundings, rather than a spaceship that has just landed there. I would extend this to the North stand being called the North Stand rather than the Witton End also. Of course it exists at the north end of the ground, but that is not relevant to your experience of being there. It being at the Witton end of the ground is much more relevant and therefore natural.

I suppose I also have a problem with the act of naming stands, rather than them being known as what they have always been known as, and this being somewhat mysterious and shrouded in history. Essentially I don't need Villa Park to be a theme park, I need it to be a mythical place that goes down through the ages. If we were to relocate to another site, and had to invent the history to a certain extent, then the situation might be different.

What a post! Agree completely.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »
We could have an Andy Towns End.

I'll fetch my coat!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal