collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa 1-0 Wolves 1996 League Cup  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Villa 1-0 Wolves 1996 League Cup
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »

Heres the last time we played them in this competition. To be fair Wolves played pretty well in this match. I'd forgotten how bad the pitch was towards the backend of this season. When Man United played Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi there was barely any grass on it. Anyway heres to hopefully a similar result tomorrow night!

Offline Damo70

Re: Villa 1-0 Wolves 1996 League Cup
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »

Heres the last time we played them in this competition. To be fair Wolves played pretty well in this match. I'd forgotten how bad the pitch was towards the backend of this season. When Man United played Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi there was barely any grass on it. Anyway heres to hopefully a similar result tomorrow night!

I was living in the Canary Islands at the time and my mate ran a betting operation in a bar called The Rum Pot. I placed my first ever football bet on the winners of the four quarter finals and won. My mate then twisted my arm to go double or nothing on a boxing match between Henry Wharton and Chris Eubank (we had actually met Wharton whilst he was training at a gym owned by Nigel Benn in Tenerife). I accepted and doubled up my winnings.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »
My main memory of this game is getting back to my car after to find my side window smashed, along with about a dozen other cars. It was the days of stealing car radios and it meant an absolutely freezing drive back to London with no window and no radio! Thank goodness we'd won.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
I think Dean Richards might have been announced as stadium man of the match, which is pretty much unknown for an away player. Only other time I remember it happening was when we generously gave it to a Gravesend and Northfleet centre half. Possibly the same season. Anyway, we just about did enough to win, a rare quiet game for Yorke, mainly due to the aforementioned Richards, but he more than made up for it in the next round.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
I think Dean Richards might have been announced as stadium man of the match, which is pretty much unknown for an away player. Only other time I remember it happening was when we generously gave it to a Gravesend and Northfleet centre half. Possibly the same season. Anyway, we just about did enough to win, a rare quiet game for Yorke, mainly due to the aforementioned Richards, but he more than made up for it in the next round.

Interesting, never heard of away player being announced MOTM. Was anything announced when liverpool won 6-0 in 15/16, I presume not in fear of a riot.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
It was one of those classic " Jimmy Greaves commentates on Villa League Cup nights ." Two years earlier he had said Dean Saunders was a mile offside when clearly he wasn't. This night the two commentators had mentioned at the start how Savo was still adjusting to our language and culture. At one point he went down injured, the Wolves player who chopped him down said something obviously inflammatory to him and the Serb jumped to his feet livid and confrontational. At this Jimmy Greaves said something like "Well it looks like Milosevic speaks English now!"

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 06:19:48 PM »

Interesting, never heard of away player being announced MOTM. Was anything announced when liverpool won 6-0 in 15/16, I presume not in fear of a riot.

Even the night David White got all five for Man City in a 5-1 drubbing I think they still  gave man of the match  to David Platt or someone like that.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »

Even the night David White got all five for Man City in a 5-1 drubbing I think they still  gave man of the match  to David Platt or someone like that.

What a grim night that was. I think it was the following day when the Evening Mail ran a headline for Dr Jo to go.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:49:11 PM »
One of those games - and this sounds crazy - but we didn't realise he got all five until radio said so in car after. You don't often notice the other team cos you so fixated on your own players. Occasionally may be but not that night. Does any one else find this? TV games you notice the opposition  but quite often there in the ground the players that hurt you all blur into one.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:15 AM »
I took a young lass I was trying to woo at the time to that Man City game.  Suffice to say that the relationship fizzled out pretty quickly after that.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »
The fans really turned on Dr Jo at that 1-5 Manchester City game. Our next game was away to Leeds and we lost 5-2. Us Villa fans were in the Lowfields stand right opposite the dug outs. Venglos and Withe were getting pelters from our travelling fans for just sitting there on the bench whilst we were getting battered.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal