collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread  (Read 21131 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
0 - 4

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »
We were crap there even when they were crap....

Pretty much. I remember that time Distin just ran from the halfway line through our defence and calmly slotted in. Their record at VP in those times was actually better then than it has been post takeover I think as we've beaten them a few times.

There was also a spell when Vassell seemed to score every game after leaving us.

Quite an achievement anyway in those days to make them look like a Pep side when they were being managed by Stuart Pearce!

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »
Man Citeh and Liverpool back to back in the League. Not feeling overly optimistic.

Online TonyD

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Man Citeh and Liverpool back to back in the League. Not feeling overly optimistic.

I know.  I’d settle for 4 points. 

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »
As others have said, it's a free hit. We're not expected to get anything from the game, everyone expects us to lose (some quite badly) - so if we do lose, it doesn't change anyone's perception of us as a team, or our prospects for the season.

However, HOW we play will tell us a lot about this group of players. Do they believe in themselves enough to have a go? Do they have the ability to create reasonable chances against a team that can genuinely win the league? Do any of our players look right at home against champions league regulars?

I'm not expecting anything but a loss, but I still think we can learn a lot about the season to come during a game like this.
This for me too. Let’s see how much we believe in ourselves as a team , also how we carry that into the Liverpool game which I’m more optimistic about . I don’t think anyone will just walk into a rocking Villa Park and take the spoils without a fight.
UTV

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2019, 03:00:19 AM »
             Heaton
Freddy, Engels, Mings, Targett
            Luiz, Marv
  McGinn, Connor, Jack
             Wesley
This, but I might be tempted to switch Connor for Keinan?

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
The Grauniad:

4) Villa’s tempo-setters to give City a tough time

There’s a lot to like about Dean Smith’s Aston Villa, in particular their midfield axis of Marvelous Nakamba, Jack Grealish and John McGinn. Nakamba’s calm intelligence provides the perfect balance to his more energetic partners, who play with the perfect combination of entitlement and desire, McGinn a tenacious tempo-setter and Grealish an intuitive improviser. Against City, they will be extended like never before, but will know that if they can compete, there are goals to be taken from a vulnerable home defence. Of course, the likelihood is that City will be too good for them, but do not be surprised if Villa give them a run for their money. DH

• Manchester City v Aston Villa, 12.30pm Saturday

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »
Expected Wolves to get flounced but they kept their shape ,which they are very good at,and done them on the break at speed.So there's hope.
Think it'll be a high scoring draw. 5-5

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
We will score but VAR will disallow it, as per...

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Manchester City v Villa match thread
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
Lose 3-1, they are a quality attacking team.
So are we. 4-4

Online The Edge

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2019, 09:56:07 AM »
I understand anything other than a defeat is seen as a bonus but I don't go with this free hit talk as such.
They are good, very very good and have brushed us aside with ease plenty of times. But that was when we were on the way down, now we are on the way up.
We are in the same division as them by right. The team should be brave, savour the challenge, be willing to take a chance and who knows ?

Up the Villa.
I like this. There is too much loser talk on here. We are a different animal to the last time we played them. Plus we endured one of the barmiest goalkeeping displays i've ever seen now we have an England keeper. Of course we may lose but it's not a foregone conclusion. Our midfield excites me more than anything we've had since the days of Mortimer, Cowans, Bremner etc. Be brave Villa not scared. We will give them plenty of problems going forward. They will give us plenty of problems theres no doubt about that. But lets have a go. Lets be loud and proud whatever the outcome. We've come a long way since we last played them and our journey is only just beginning.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
First game of the season that I won't be watching, partly because of other commitments but mainly because I despise Franchise FC and everything they represent. In the incredibly unlikely scenario that we ever see a Man City vs Small Heath cup final, catch me singing Keep Right On. I absolutely hate the club.

It certainly seems in the build up that Dean and the lads are up for this one and I can see it being similar to the Spurs game that began the season with resolute performances from our defence to keep things respectable before shipping a couple of late goals.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Franchise FC is usually a term reserved for MK Dons, in what way are Man City a franchise?

Online Clampy

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »
I'm not sure i'd refuse to watch a Villa game just because I hated the other club.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
In the incredibly unlikely scenario that we ever see a Man City vs Small Heath cup final, catch me singing Keep Right On. I absolutely hate the club.

You are dead to me

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal