collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Empty seats  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Empty seats
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 11:34:27 PM »
We could be 1-0 up on the night and aggregate, in the 87th minute of the 2nd leg against Barca and half the Lower Witton would fuck off early.

I always wonder if these people go to the cinema and leave 10 minutes before the end of the film, to this day not realising who Keyser Soze really is.

After a win I love hanging around in the ground and basking in the sheer happiness. That feeling is well worth losing 15-20 minutes getting to the car. I think leaving early is much more understandable for midweek games when getting home at a reasonable time is much harder.

This is me also Pat - I love to milk those few moments of happiness and in many cases, relief that the whistle has blown for full time.

The mad thing is that there are still queues for trains and on the roads even before the game ends.

I wouldn't have missed yesterdays finale for the world.  I laughed at the people around me who chose to leave.  Each to their own I guess.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 01:12:39 PM »
We could be 1-0 up on the night and aggregate, in the 87th minute of the 2nd leg against Barca and half the Lower Witton would fuck off early.

I always wonder if these people go to the cinema and leave 10 minutes before the end of the film, to this day not realising who Keyser Soze really is.

I remember some comedian talking about this - never knowing that Bruce Willis was dead all the time in 6th sense, or heading off to the car with the kids before the film ends saying ‘Come on - it’s obvious they’re never going to find Nemo now’

Like you, I love the end when we’ve won. Last minute winners are the best thing about football, & then applauding the players off & just having 5 minutes of being at Villa Park without any sense of stress that we’re about to throw it away.

Even when we’ve lost, I find the bit when the players applaud the fans, & they play the whistling song, & we (mostly) applaud back quite healing after the disappointment.

Only when we were losing and losing and losing, & the atmosphere got really toxic was it horrible to be there at the end, but even that was ‘part of it’ - & tbf - in those pre-relegation days, the angriest has left well before the end & there was quite a therapeutic feeling of togetherness amongst the fans who were left.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 06:43:44 PM by amfy »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
The whistling song is very soothing.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
Is anyone on here going to 'fess up to being one of the early leavers??

I left Doncaster Rovers early when the third went in, 05/06 League Cup. I have also left pubs early when watching us, including the Sheff U match last season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »
I've left early loads of times. I don't do it when it's close, though.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »
Is anyone on here going to 'fess up to being one of the early leavers??

I left Doncaster Rovers early when the third went in, 05/06 League Cup. I have also left pubs early when watching us, including the Sheff U match last season.

Left early a number of times during the relegation season, particularly night games when there was no draw sitting in the cold watching a bunch of heart hearted wasters go through the motions. Haven’t left early since then.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
The relegation season was a, generally, miserable experience. I used to sit there and think "am I enjoying this more than I'd be enjoying getting to the pub twenty minutes earlier?" and the answer was nearly always no. So I left early loads of times. This probably makes me a shit fan. Well, I matched the shit performances on the pitch, then. I figured if they couldn't be arsed, why should I? If the team are giving it everything then I pretty much always stay till the end.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 05:38:08 PM »
It only seemed to be the lower Witton on Saturday.  The Holte was still packed, as was everywhere else.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
I’m not angry with early leavers, I just think they miss some of the best bits of being a fan, but each to their own I guess.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
I’m not angry with early leavers, I just think they miss some of the best bits of being a fan, but each to their own I guess.
This. They're the ones missing out and kicking themselves when they hear the roar or see it on their phone or hear it in the car. They're the ones still kicking themselves now at missing out on the amazing 'limbs' and scenes at the end of the game. 1-1 against ten men, I have no idea why you would leave early in that situation. Especially for a Saturday afternoon game, what are they going to do and where are they going to go in that extra ten minutes they've gained by leaving? Surely that Sheff Utd game was a lesson for everyone never to leave early.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
This. They're the ones missing out and kicking themselves when they hear the roar or see it on their phone or hear it in the car. They're the ones still kicking themselves now at missing out on the amazing 'limbs' and scenes at the end of the game. 1-1 against ten men, I have no idea why you would leave early in that situation. Especially for a Saturday afternoon game, what are they going to do and where are they going to go in that extra ten minutes they've gained by leaving? Surely that Sheff Utd game was a lesson for everyone never to leave early.

We really had to get a move on after the game as we were heading to Oxford to see Tim Minchin and it started at 7.30.

Safe to say, I wouldn't have missed that 94th minute winner and a couple of choruses of Sweet Caroline for anything.

We missed Tim's first song, but that was it!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »
I have mates who left at 0-3 sheff U last season and got back to the pub at 3-3. We laugh about it.

My opinion, you can leave whenever you want and its nobody else's business if you leave early.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »
Agree. And I was just arriving in the city centre when Greene equalised.

Can we all agree though, that Arsenal fans who couldn't be arsed to stay behind and watch their team lifting the FA Cup are still massive bellends?

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »
Agree. And I was just arriving in the city centre when Greene equalised.

Can we all agree though, that Arsenal fans who couldn't be arsed to stay behind and watch their team lifting the FA Cup are still massive bellends?

Hell yeah

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
The Lower Witton Lane emptying on 80 minutes has been going on for virtually the whole time I’ve supported Villa so early 90s. I never leave before the final whistle and admittedly run back to my car and very rarely get stuck in traffic even with the current full houses. The fact I usually get my breath back as we’re passing Stoke on the drive home is entirely coincidental.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal